Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Where the hell was Hutch goin? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Suspects » Hutchinson, George (British) » Where the hell was Hutch goin? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

ex PFC Wintergreen
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, February 16, 2005 - 8:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

He has just walked about seventeen miles from Romford to Whitehcapel, but when he comes through Thrawl Street, instead of going home for a bit of rest, he goes north and loiters near the Queens Head pub for no apparent reason.

Then he hangs around for another three quarters of an hour to wait for a toff to come out of a prostitute's den.
Does this man never sleep? Does he never feel the need to sit?
Did he actually go to Romford that day?

Richard Brian Nunweek
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Richardn

Post Number: 1335
Posted on Thursday, February 17, 2005 - 3:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,
The fact is Hutchinson had no money on his return from Romford, he told Kelly 'I have spent out' if he had money for a bed he surely would have stayed in Romford overnight rather then try a exact timing to reach whitechapel before his normal lodgings closed.
He simply had no where to go, i suspect his main reason for hanging around was to try and spend the remainder of the night with Kelly if the pick up left the court.
When after 45 minutes he did not, he assumed he was spending the night with Kelly and went on a walkabout till morning.
The fact is we no nothing about George, had he work to go to on the friday, if he was Regs father he appears a grafter, and proberly did.
We all speculate on these boards simply because the case is so old, and the facts as they are are so vaque.
I believe the mans evidence, but that is just a hunch on my part, i can not possibly know.
Richard.

Bob Hinton
Inspector
Username: Bobhinton

Post Number: 290
Posted on Friday, February 18, 2005 - 4:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dear Richard,

On Ebay, Jack the Ripper section at the moment there are several recordings of old BBC radio programmes. One of these is 'Jack the Ripper'

Could this be the programme you have been searching for?

Bob Hinton

Diana
Chief Inspector
Username: Diana

Post Number: 526
Posted on Friday, February 18, 2005 - 1:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kudos to you, Richard. I never thought of GH just wanting somewhere to sleep and yet it certainly is a viable theory. We forget what it was like for people like him. Just think how awful to be exhausted and no bed to sink into at night.
But then we have to get into the issue of how tired was he? How much did fatigue affect his perceptions? Could he have fallen asleep on his feet and dreamed the whole astrakhan man episode? If not, and he was standing there ready to drop from exhaustion, how reliable can his information be? If he was desperate for a bed to sleep in then he might have hung around 45 minutes.

(Message edited by diana on February 18, 2005)

Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 11:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i´ve been thinking about this for a while now:

HAD he REALLY been in romford??

and if he was - what was his business?

if not - why did he say so?

and, just in case he only wanted to use kelly´s bed - why not simply confess it?

jason_connachan
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, December 15, 2005 - 10:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Perhaps he had nowhere in Romford to stay.

17 miles does not an exceptional distance to walk. In the 1930's there are reports of thousands of football supporters who would walk from Glasgow to Eastern Scotland for a football game.

I agree there's a possibility of him wanting to stay with Kelly. Wanting to room with a prostitute who has just been murdered is not something i would wish to admit.

Bob Hinton
Inspector
Username: Bobhinton

Post Number: 450
Posted on Saturday, December 17, 2005 - 5:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dear Jason,

I take it you've never been homeless. When you are homeless especially at night in lousy weather, the only thing that concerns you is finding somewhere warm and dry to sleep.

You don't walk 17 miles in the freezing rain to get to a place you have nowhere to go.

Bob

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Suzi

Post Number: 3407
Posted on Saturday, December 17, 2005 - 6:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

'Carrying the banner'
... a sad evocative phrase used to describe keeping walking all night when you have nowhere to go.

There is NO WAY that Hutch would have walked that distance to carry the banner...presumably he had somewhere to stay in Romford.

Suzi

jason_connachan
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, December 17, 2005 - 9:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bob

If i had no money left, i would prefer to stay in my own area. That way, i could possibly get loaned money from family or friends.

Hutchinson may also have had some other business to do in Whitechapel the next day( btw that business does not include killing MJK)

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3410
Posted on Saturday, December 17, 2005 - 5:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK jason-

I rest my case- There must have been some reason for GH to come back to Whitechapel,-presumably he had bed and board in Romford,-Let's assume that anyway!...(for now!)

-NOW- the fact that he picked on Mary (or did he......we only have HIS evidence for this) may be inconsequential..(and all of this may have been 'padding' for his statement to the police on Monday...

- Strangely I can't believe this to be the case

I like to think that he WAS there on that night and met/passed Mary etc etc ..Why....??.....we don't and will never know -But there WAS a reason- whether it be the offer of a job the following day maybe, or something else, as I say ,we'll NEVER know but there was a reason thats for sure!

Suzi

Harry Mann
Inspector
Username: Harry

Post Number: 253
Posted on Sunday, December 18, 2005 - 3:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"I have been down to Romford" as an excuse for having no money,is as unlightening as anything else Hutchinson said,but really it is Hutchinson;s excuse for being on the streets of Whitechapel that night.
If his story is,as I believe,an alibi,he could hardly say he had been in Whitechapel all day,as there would then be no reason why he could not have been in the Victoria Home at a reasonable time,and not outside Crossinghams.He had to distance himself from Whitechapel.
So,"I have been down to Romford",is an excuse directed to the police.

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 5394
Posted on Sunday, December 18, 2005 - 6:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"I have spent all my money going down to Romford."

A strange thing for someone who wasn't in regular employment to do, though I suppose it did and does happen.

Robert

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3415
Posted on Sunday, December 18, 2005 - 6:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Robert-

Was 'Going down to Romford' a single entendre??? like 'Getting off at Fratton'?? I DOUBT it .....but............

Suzi

Lindsey C Hollifield
Chief Inspector
Username: Lindsey

Post Number: 573
Posted on Sunday, December 18, 2005 - 3:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No, Suzi. No. I really don't think so.

Love,

Lyn x

(Give my love to Fratton bridge next time you're that way. Haven't seen it in a long time..)
My first reaction is, "OMG that's crazy". But then I'm thinking this just may be crazy enough to work.
copyright © Bradley McGinnis Sept. 2005

jason_connachan
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, December 17, 2005 - 8:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Suzi

I think he was almost certainly there on the night in question.

One point to ponder. Hutchinson himself admitted to discussing his sighting with others before he went to the police. I dont think it too far fetched to assume the police could have investigated this "discussion".

As ive said on another thread. This does not prove Hutchinson is telling the truth but it does makes his statement more likely to be truthful imo.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.