Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Henry James and Kosminski some thoughts Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Suspects » General Discussion » Henry James and Kosminski some thoughts « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Phil Hill
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, January 04, 2005 - 8:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Re-reading the"Ultimate Sourcebook" on the Nichols murder, I cam across the testimony of a Thomas (or William) Ede (or Eade). He stated that on 8 Sep 1888 he saw a man on the Cambridge Heath Road near the Forester's Arms pub. the man, subsequently said to be called Henry James, seemed to have a wooden arm and to be carrying a knife, four inches of the blade of which could be seen.

James was described as five foot eight, aged about 35, with a dark moustache, and as not being muscular. he wore a peaked cap and overalls over dark trousers.

James was dismissed as a "well known harmless lunatic" (he didn't have a wooden arm).

Now I have never focused on this man before - indeed, I am not sure I ever registered his existence. The fact that the inquest evidence is in 2 parts doesn't help.

Now, I AM NOT claiming Henry James as a suspect. However a couple of things strike me:

Here we have a known "harmless lunatic" wandering around with a knife. He attracts attention but is not apprehended. He seems to be dismissed as of no account.

Yet how similar he sounds to what we know of Kosminski - and one wonders how long might the latter have been regarded as a "well known harmless lunatic". ow closely - at first at least - might the police have looked at Kosminski.

Does anyone know anything more of Henry James, or of police interest in him?

Secondly, the description is amazingly similar to those of JtR made by witnesses, in height, built, facial hair etc.

Thirdly - workman's overalls might be a very good way of concealing bloodstained clothing. Does anyone know what these would have looked like in 1888 - separate jacket and trousers? Monkey-suit style? Bib-fronted?

Note that he was wearing dark trousers underneath, so who's to say such a man might not have been suited.

In conclusion, I say again, I am not putting James forward as a suspect. Has he been discussed before on Casebook or elsewhere? If not, what are the views of others on the points I have made?

Phil

Philip L. Hill
Police Constable
Username: Phil

Post Number: 6
Posted on Monday, January 10, 2005 - 8:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think people may have missed this, as it didn't show up when I was an "unregistered" poster.

I am still interested in any views others may have.

Thanks in anticipation,

Phil

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 3849
Posted on Monday, January 10, 2005 - 3:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Phil

In searching for something about James, I stumbled on this. It bears certain similarities to the Kosminski case. This man seemed perfectly harmless, until he was allowed out.

Sept 1st 1911 "TIMES"

Robert

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3850
Posted on Monday, January 10, 2005 - 3:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here's the Aug 31st item.

Robert

Phil Hill
Police Constable

Post Number: 10
Posted on Tuesday, January 11, 2005 - 1:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Interesting stuff, Thanks Robert.

Phil

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3856
Posted on Tuesday, January 11, 2005 - 4:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Phil, I have emailed you.

Robert

Andrew Spallek
Chief Inspector
Username: Aspallek

Post Number: 712
Posted on Wednesday, January 12, 2005 - 9:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I remember getting excited about the one-armed man when first reading the Sourcebook. But I recall that the police later checked him out and dismissed him as a suspect. Hard to believe that a onr-armed man could have committed these murders, anyway.

I realize that you are not suggesting him as a suspect, Phil, but he seems thoroughly to have been checked out by police.

Andy S.

Phil Hill
Sergeant

Post Number: 22
Posted on Wednesday, January 12, 2005 - 10:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

He apparently DIDN'T have a false arm!!

My point was that here is a man who's description (on the page, at least) is not far adrift from possible witness descriptions of JtR; who was referred to as a lunatic; and who seemed to be wandering around without much comment, with a large knife!!

At the very least it might explain how kosminski was able to go around for so long, unmolested and unsuspected ("oh, him! he's just a harmless lunatic").

It also indicates how vague the descriptions may be - how many people may have fitted them.

Finally, how many "odd types" were abroad carrying knives, and thus how easy it may have been for Jack to blend in while making his escapes.

Phil

Dan Norder
Inspector
Username: Dannorder

Post Number: 475
Posted on Wednesday, January 12, 2005 - 11:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yeah, the whole "harmless lunatic" concept really threw me for a loop when I read that too. The police investigating him, but it'd be nice if we heard more of the full story. It just seems really odd to me.
Dan Norder, Editor
Ripper Notes: The International Journal for Ripper Studies
 Profile    Email    Dissertations    Website

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.