Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

MJDruitt Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Suspects » Druitt, Montague John » MJDruitt « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

CKing
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, December 08, 2004 - 3:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In my previous and first posting (since gone into the archives) I mentioned the Book of Mayo. It has nothing to do with the Irish county but is a genealogical history of a Norfolk family of that name .A copy of the book is owned by my aunt and there might be a copy in the British Library. One James Mayo (b.1755)) was vicar of Avebury, Wiltshire & headmaster of Winbourne Grammar School. He had 10 children. 5th child, Jane, married Robert Druitt, surgeon(b.1784). They produced 4 children: Robert (born 1814) FRCS, . father of Lionel Druitt. James (b.1816). Thomas (b1817) and William ,(b1820) father of MJD. The second child, James produced a daughter Sarah who married her cousin Edward Montague Hare. This couple in turn produced Edgar James Hare CBE, my grandfather (d1969). He was called to the bar circa 1916 at Lincoln Inn Fields and was the last official solicitor to Queen Anne’s Bounty before it was dissolved in 1948.
I mention this because you might appreciate the difficulty of bringing up the subject
of a family member being a possible suspect. When my aunt tried to question my grandparents they refused to discuss the matter and that was that. This I believe was
before Farson but I shall have to check..
My mother’s middle name is Christian. An Edward Christian assumed the name of Hare on succeeding to Docking Hall (the family seat). He had a son, Humphrey John Hare of Docking Hall , my great-great-grandfather. Edward Christian might have decided to change his name because of the mutiny (yes, it was the same family) or because he was appointed a rector and perhaps thought too much might have been expected of him!

As for the book Flowers of the field it must have been given by MJD to my great-grandmother Sarah as her signature is to the left of his. The date she has written under her name is June/81. She must have given it to my great-aunt Dorothy who gave it to me when I visited her in the school holidays. I used to visit three times a year to play the clarinet to her and she would accompany me on an old Bluthner upright. She was kind but daunting. A spinster, she used to transcribe the Radio Times into Braille. She knew a lot about the Druitts and would often talk about them. She also talked of a Marjorie Henderson whose grandparents lived in Sydney. Her great-grandfather was Thomas Druitt. He left for N.S.Wales in 1847 and was ordained Deacon at Sydney. My great aunt died in 1969 aged 86.

This is all very complicated as I am working from notes made from the book of Mayo by my mother years ago and although she is still alive she does not have a copy so I shall
have to wait until I see my aunt. She lives in London ,I live in Ireland (not Co. Mayo!) and it is nearly Christmas!

I became interested in Jack the Ripper once I got wind of a possible family connection. I had mentioned something to my mother about it one day and she told me of the taboo..Then Daniel Farson’s book was published and I was on the trail. It went cold and I forgot all about it for years. One day after a family field trip we were trying to identify a wild flower I turned to John’s book and my eyes popped on seeing the inscription on the flyleaf. I then tried to find other examples of Montague’s handwriting but to no avail. It appears to be the only example in the family and I know of no others anywhere else .I sometimes look at his writing and wonder……
I was further discouraged after I read Richard Whittington-Egans book called A Casebook on Jack the Ripper. He must have been right; after all he was a barrister I believe! Maybe I should dig it out and re-read it now I am approaching retirement it might be cheaper than stamp collecting!

In the early 1970’s I visited Whitechapel. I saw the house in Hanbury Street just days before it was demolished. The yard was still there. Mitre Sq. was almost as was in the 1880”s -the cobbles and eerily the grill in the pavement where Catherine Eddowes was discovered. I found the doorway in Goulston Street, the scene of the writing on the wall. The tiles on the right hand side of the corridor were still there. I bet all that has gone now. I shall never visit the sites again –bound to have changed. beyond recognition.

This rambling missive has finally come to an end. I had written a posting prior to this but it got lost in cyberspace due to my inexperience with computers. Typed on 7 year old Mac bought for £50 some months ago!

With best wishes,

Chris King

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

John Ruffels
Inspector
Username: Johnr

Post Number: 466
Posted on Sunday, October 02, 2005 - 8:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Chris King,
Rather belatedly I have stumbled on your most interesting postings concerning your links to the Mayo/Druitt/Elton family.
The book you seek is: "A Genealogical Account of the Mayo and Elton Families" - by Charles Herbert Mayo M.A., (2nd edition) 1908.Privately printed at the Chiswick Press by Charles Whittingham & Co.
It says at page 450:"SARAH DRUITT, born 3rd October, 1844; married at Christchurch, 19th April, 1877, as his second wife, to her cousin, EDWARD-MONTAGUE HARE, M.A., Rector of Little Dunham, Norfolk, who died 24th May, 1900.See HARE pedigree in this chapter".
The sister of Sarah, JANE:"born 26 December, 1849". Nothing else.
If you are still looking for further examples of MJD's handwriting, there is a letter in the West Sussex Records office in the "Druitt Papers".
Which collection, if you are not aware of, you should investigate.
I was in correspondence with Marjorie Henderson
in the late 1970's. Also with her brother Kenneth Druitt Henderson.Both now dead.Marjorie was a lengendary beauty and apparently a very intelligent woman too.
Have you seen L.J.Leightons book on MJD? This is reviewed on this site.Came out last year.
I should like to correspond with you Chris, as my
Druitt investigations cover both Australia and England.Just click on my name on any of my Casebook posts and my profile will tell you how to send me an email.
I am also in touch with a James Mayo descendant here in Sydney (Australia).

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.