Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Tayor & James Cutbush Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Suspects » Cutbush, Thomas » Tayor & James Cutbush « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Clarke
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, October 26, 2004 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello All

I have two questions, firstly does anyone know how many times Thomas Cutbush was named in press reports as James Cutbush I am aware of The London Times article of 24 March 1891, but I wanted to see if there were any other instances. If this is the case, I do wonder whether Thomas was giving James as his name.

The second question is, in The Times (London)
15 June 1892 article there is mention of a Thomas Taylor Cutbush and I just wanted to find out what relation he was to Thomas Hayne.

Any help would be most welcome.

Regards

Clarke

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 3317
Posted on Tuesday, October 26, 2004 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Clarke

I'll try to answer all your questions on the one thread.

I'm afraid we do not have any examples of letters written by Thomas, nor do we have any photos of him. In fact, as far as I know we don't have a photo of a single nineteenth century English Cutbush!

I'm only aware of the one occasion when Thomas was called James. I've always imagined it was down to bad handwriting - if once the "Th" resembles a "J" then "omas" and "ames" look quite similar.

Thomas Taylor Cutbush was Thomas Hayne Cutbush's father. The "Hayne" part of Thomas's name derived from his mother's family - Thomas's mother's maiden name was Hayne.

Likewise, Thomas Taylor Cutbush, Tom's father, was given his mother's surname as a middle name. His mother was Ann Taylor.

Robert

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Apwolf

Post Number: 1430
Posted on Tuesday, October 26, 2004 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Robert is quite right on all counts.
There is a photo of a formidable Cutbush from the 19th Century, but as he lived on the other side of the Atlantic, and was a doctor and a pyromaniac I don't think we need to see his strange and fearsome visage on this site.
I do believe that we will soon find a photo of Charles Henry Cutbush but I have my doubts about ever finding a likeness of poor old Tom.
After an exhaustive search of Lord Grimthorpe's family archives, I'm afraid I have the feeling that the letter written by Thomas was thrown away.
Hope not.

David Bullock
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, October 30, 2004 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello all

With regard to the photo of Thomas Cutbush,is it likely that photo's or mug shots of Broadmoor inmates of that period might exist somewhere ? I have tried searching the web for a site that might contain such items, but so far no luck.

Regards David

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.