Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Family tree Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Suspects » Barnett, Joseph » Family tree « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chris

Post Number: 1447
Posted on Sunday, October 17, 2004 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have been doing some work collating the family connections of Barnett. The findings so far are below:

jbtree

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chris

Post Number: 1448
Posted on Sunday, October 17, 2004 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

With regard to Joseph's family, there is an alleged mystery as to what happened to his mother. She is listed as living with the family in the 1861 census and there then appears to be no record. John Barnett, Joseph's father, died in 1864 and Bruce Paley, in his excellent book, says:
"What happened to her remains unexplained but there are no indications of a remarriage or any record of her death as Catherine Barnett."
I agree with the first assertion, that there is no indication of a remarriage. However, I beleieve the record shows that she went to work as a widowed servant for a family in Aldgate and eventually died in Whitechapel in early 1881.
The only firm entry for her from the data already known is the 1861 entry which told us that she was born in Ireland circa 1821 (in the 1861 census she is listed as 40 years old.)
In the 1871 census there is an entry as follows which I believe is more likely than not Joseph's mother:
4 Glass House Street, Aldgate
Head:
Thomas Allman aged 49 born Cork, Ireland
Daughter:
Margaret Allman aged 12 born Whitechapel
Servant:
Catherine Barnett aged 48 born Cork, Ireland - Widowed

As for the death of Catherine Barnett, there is a death registered of a woman of the right name, age and place in the first quarter of 1881, just before the 1881 census.
By 1881 we would expect her to be circa 60 years of age from the 1861 entry:

cbd

I have also found in the 1881 census a mention of what, in my opinion, is certainly Catherine Barnett's sister in law, who at that time was living with with Dennis Barnett and his family. We know from Joseph's birth certificate that his mother's maiden name was Hayes, and we know, as stated above, from the 1861 census that she was born in Ireland.
The 1881 listing for Dennis Barnett is as follows:
Dennis BARNETT Head M Male 33 Gravesend, Kent, England Fish Porter
Mary A. BARNETT Wife M Female 32 Bethnel Gr, Middlesex, England
Dennis BARNETT Son Male 9 Bethnel Gr, Middlesex, England Scholar
John BARNETT Son Male 6 Berdsy, Surrey, England Scholar
Mrs. HAYES Aunt W Female 75 Ireland

Source Information:
Dwelling 5 Goulston's Bdgs
Census Place Bermondsey, Surrey, England
Public Records Office Reference RG11
Piece / Folio 0560 / 109
Page Number 35

The agreement of surname and place of birth makes it highly likely that this "Mrs. Hayes" was, in fact, Catherine Barnett's widowed sister in law.
Chris

(Message edited by Chris on October 17, 2004)

(Message edited by Chris on October 17, 2004)

Jennifer D. Pegg
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Jdpegg

Post Number: 1200
Posted on Monday, October 18, 2004 - 3:23 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris,
fasinating as always!
Jenni
"Think things, not words." - O.W. Holmes jr

Debra Arif
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, October 18, 2004 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris
Did the beer family you show above ( Joseph Beer and Catherine Barnett) end up in Ontario Canada?
On the LDS ancestral file there is a family tree incorporating this family, their daughter Mary Beer apparently married a Benjamin Irving in Toronto Canada, 16th May 1912 and died in 1964 in the same area. The submitter thinks the Beer children may have been born in Canada? but apart from that the family tallies.
Is it possible Joseph Barnett disappeared to Canada for a while?
There are contact details for a descendent of the family on the site too.
The file no. is AFN: 135S-VZJ for anyone interested.
Debra

Tony Castell
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, November 14, 2004 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Re Joseph's mother, if she is the lady who was living with Thomas Allman in 1871, she was still with him in 1881, but her name is transcribed as Burnett in the IGI census search, living at Cohens Buildings, which seems to be off Royal Mint St although I have not checked this. In the same building lived one John McCarthy and family, but I don't know if there's a connection.
Tony

judyjjanes
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, December 12, 2004 - 7:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I felt from the start that Joe was the murderer for many reasons. It came to light recently that serial murderers do in deed stop and resurface. The most recent person I can think of is the BTK killer who surfaced first 5 yrs after the last murder then 20 - 25 yrs later again. It surprises me that they can stop like that but it's been proven that they can, especially in Joe's case, who did not intend to be a serial killer, but started to scare Mary and had to continue, eventually having to kill her since his efforts failed to convince her to stop hooking.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.