Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Buryied and forgotten? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Suspects » Bury, William Henry » Buryied and forgotten? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

brad kelley
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, July 19, 2004 - 3:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hi all as i read the posts on this site it seems there are suspects who seem (to me) viable that get their fair share of attention, (kosminski for instance) suspects that are interesting but not viable (to me) such as sickert and maybrick that get much play and then suspects that seem viable yet get little mention. since i am still new to the case bury has always stood out to me. i was wondering what the main points AGAINST bury being the ripper are, as he seems to me a very good canididate to me. reading these boards it always seems to me that we don't want to think that the ripper could have actually been caught, it kinda of takes away from the mystery...bury being caught and hung seems to fit into this cagegory as i see it...thanks all opinions appreciated

Monty
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Monty

Post Number: 1267
Posted on Tuesday, July 20, 2004 - 11:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Brad,

Dude, you are so right. Sickert and Maybrick ??!!

But we're not here to talk about them are we ?

Any suspect who has been checked out by the police is a decent suspect to me.

Problem is that he was cleared by the police at the time. But that doesnt discount him.

Its just a shame he didnt paint or keep or journal !

Monty
:-)

PS Dont say that I dont want him named.
No, you cant have one extra on the leg side...but you can have five !

Lowe
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, July 20, 2004 - 5:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As I recall the wounds on Bury's wife did not quite match the Ripper's victims and it was posible he was on a holiday when Polly Nichols was murdered.
Is mise le meas
Christopher Lowe

brad kelley
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, July 21, 2004 - 8:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

yes monty i agree bury lacks "sex appeal" as he was a)caught b)cleared. i just wonder, we hear of killers that are questioned multiple times by police nowdays and dismissed only to later be caught due to a major screw up on their part (like a parking ticket near a crime) or by forensic evidence (a hair here a smudged print there), how much stock can we put in the ability of the police of victorian england to have even a clue regarding what kind of man they should be looking for? it just suprises me there is not more investigation into bury (other suspects we know very little about still get details of their lives unearthed on this site from time to time)seeing as he is the suspect who committed the most "ripperlike" crime to my knowledge. couldn't a good psycho simply say especially after removing the person most likely to be able to implicate him "look i have no idea where i was on the nights in question but it was not me end of story". really if a person in bury's situation said that what could the police really get out of him after the fact? thanks.

jfripper
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, December 05, 2004 - 9:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all,

Just a brief note, mainly for Lowe.
In regards wound similarities, the wounds inflicted upon Ellen Bury were very similar to the wounds inflicted upon Mary Nicholls. As to other JTR victims, again wounds inflicted upon all the victims were similar but not a perfect match.

As to the "Holiday" remark, Bury did go on a vacation in August, but only to his native Wolverhampton, possibily to show off his new bride. The period of this vacation as been narrowed down to the second and third weeks of August. Therefore, he is still within the murder timeframe for August, even the Tabram murder.
The source of information in regards the vacation dates are totally independant of any JTR source, but have been in print since August 1888.

Cheers,

Jfripper.

PS. Good to see people still regard Bury as a possibility.

More Research???
Maybe the bible, (I mean Ellen Bury's Bible) may have had more clues, or written messages. What happened to this???

Martin Anderson
Sergeant
Username: Scouse

Post Number: 36
Posted on Thursday, August 11, 2005 - 9:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Brad,
You are so right - many serial killers are intially questioned by the police and released. Later they are found to be intrinsically connected to the scene of the murder in some forensic way.
Isn't it a shame that in 1888 the main mode of transport was train or coach. How fitting would it have been to find a parking ticket at 27 Hanbury Street on 8th September 1888 in the name of William Henry Bury. This is what caught the seemingly indomitable David Berkowitz until he got a parking ticket for being parked near a fire hydrant.
Martin Anderson
Analyst

Donald Souden
Chief Inspector
Username: Supe

Post Number: 670
Posted on Thursday, August 11, 2005 - 10:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Martin,

If I am wrong let me apologize in advance, but the phrase indomitable David Berkowitz suggests a certain glorification. After all, indomitable is the sort of positive adjective Great Britain would use to name its warships. David Berkowitz was a cowardly punk who ruined a lot of lives.

Don.
"He was so bad at foreign languages he needed subtitles to watch Marcel Marceau."

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.