Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Holmes Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Suspects » General Discussion » Holmes « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jennifer D. Pegg
Inspector
Username: Jdpegg

Post Number: 409
Posted on Monday, June 28, 2004 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi everyone
I thought you would be interested to know there is a new book out about the chicago fair murders (at least in the UK) called 'a devil in the white city.'
It was in the history not crime section of the book shop.
Monty
There is one copy in leicester city libraries - it is not available.

Jennifer
Uncle Bulgaria,He can remember the days when he wasn't behind The Times.....

Jennifer D. Pegg
Inspector

Post Number: 412
Posted on Monday, June 28, 2004 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Monty,
is it worth buying? Have you got the leicester libraries copy?
Jenni

Monty
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Monty

Post Number: 1221
Posted on Monday, June 28, 2004 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jenni,

Its not worth busting a gut to buy.

The copy I read belonged to an ex girlfriend of mine.....I doubt she would lend it to me.

Have you tried the works on Gallowtree gate ??

Monty
:-)
Prince Charming, Prince Charming,
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of

Jennifer D. Pegg
Inspector

Post Number: 413
Posted on Monday, June 28, 2004 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Monty,
No I have only seen it then tried the library cat. - no shock on that one.
Cheers
Jenni

Maria Giordano
Sergeant
Username: Mariag

Post Number: 44
Posted on Monday, June 28, 2004 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I read it when it came out in the US last year (one of the perks of being a librarian!).

It was OK. Well put together and not too sensationalistic. The main thing I remember was the constant and varied references to Holmes great charm. This guy really was a psychopath!
Mags

Jeffrey Bloomfied
Inspector
Username: Mayerling

Post Number: 406
Posted on Monday, June 28, 2004 - 8:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jennifer,

There are several books about H.H.Holmes and his "murder castle" in Chicago. Try David Franke's THE TORTURE DOCTOR or Harold Schechter's DEPRAVED: THE SHOCKING TRUE STORY OF AMERICA'S FIRST SERIAL KILLER (New York: Simon & Schuster - Pocket Books, 1994). THE DEVIL IN THE WHITE CITY tries to tie the first modern world's fair (the WORLD COLUMBIAN EXPOSITION of 1893) which revolutionized architecture and social life in America also was the scene of Holmes the (so-called) American serial killer. It doesn't totally succeed, but it is an interesting read. To get the full story on Holmes read Schechter or Franke. There is also an earlier book by Charles Boswell and Lewis Thompson THE GIRLS IN NIGHTMARE HOUSE from the 1950s. It was part of a series of true crime studies published by Fawcett Books called "The Girl(s)" Series [example: THE GIRL IN THE HOUSE OF HATE was about Lizzie Borden; THE GIRL ON THE BEACH was about Starr Faithfull].

If you can really dig, look for a novel by Robert Bloch called AMERICAN GOTHIC. Bloch (best remembered for turning the story of Ed Gein into the tale of Norman Bates called PSYCHO)wrote AMERICAN GOTHIC in the late 1970s. It is about Holmes (his name is fictionalized, but recognizeable), and Bloch suggests he was the Ripper.

Jeff

Jennifer D. Pegg
Inspector

Post Number: 416
Posted on Tuesday, June 29, 2004 - 7:38 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jeff
thanks i will attempt to find the book s you suggested.

Jennifer

Jennifer D. Pegg
Inspector

Post Number: 422
Posted on Tuesday, June 29, 2004 - 9:28 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jeff
would you believe it I have even been able to order one of them?!

I hope it comes soon
Jennifer

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.