Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Tumblety and Dr. Williams Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Suspects » Tumblety, Francis » Tumblety and Dr. Williams « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Christopher Lowe
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 3:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

On page 184 of the Lodger (1995), it is described how Nick Warren believes/d that Tumblety used the alias Dr. Hamilton Williams. I've found some info on him. Williams had a child who was the God child of O' Donovan Rossa. He also sheltered Tynan the leader of the Invincibles when he fled from Europe.
Is mise le meas,
Christopher Lowe

Christopher Lowe
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, July 04, 2004 - 8:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have just foundthe references for the above they are pg. 86 Rossa's Recollections 1838-1898 (Shannon, 1972)and Tynan's The Irish Invincibles and their Times (Appendix). My notes also have 'fuair se bas i 1895' but I seem to have lost the reference. It does however come from an Irish language text which should narrow it down. I don't know if this is new info or not.
Is mise le meas,
Christopher Lowe
p.s. I'll register eventually.

Morticia Addams
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 7:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Fuair sé bás i 1895" = "he died in 1895"
Slán agus beannacht,
Tís

Timothy B. Riordan
Sergeant
Username: Timothy

Post Number: 12
Posted on Monday, April 04, 2005 - 2:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all,

There is a new book that may be of interest to those on the list which concerns William Melville, the founder of MI5. The book, by Andrew Cook, is entitled "M: MI5’s first spymaster" and was published by Tempus in 2004. My attention was drawn to it because, on their web site, they suggested that Melville had arrested Tumblety in 1888 in Le Havre but had to let him go because of the French authorities. In fact, the book says nothing of the kind. Regarding Tumblety, the notes show nothing beyond what came from Evans and Gainey except a vague reference to a radio program in New Zealand in 1937. This was a program by Melville’s son where he said his dad was involved in the Ripper investigation but did not offer any details on how, what or why.

The reason why I bring up the book is because it goes into detail on the Special Branch, the Fenians and the war on Irish terrorism. As these are the subject of much speculation regarding Tumblety and other suspects, I think many will find it useful.

Best,

Tim

Malta Joe
Detective Sergeant
Username: Malta

Post Number: 91
Posted on Monday, April 04, 2005 - 4:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Tim,

It's kind of ironic, but I too just noticed the claim of William Melville arresting Tumblety in Le Havre on a web site called answers.com and I just posted something about it on the Police Officials section. I just now realized that you had posted this message before I did discussing the same subject! Actually I was wondering where answers.com got there info, and your revelation about the Andrew Cook book may have been their source.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.