Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

"Walter Sickert" by Denys Sutton Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Suspects » Sickert, Walter » "Walter Sickert" by Denys Sutton « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through June 17, 2005Angie50 6-17-05  12:10 pm
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Courtney Karr
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, June 20, 2005 - 8:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sometimes things are so obvious that a person doesn't see them, or even discounts them because they are so obvious.

R St w on one of the Ripper notes is an obvious "signature" to me that the unsophisticated cops back then didn't "see."

Levent Bekdik
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, June 25, 2005 - 10:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Everybody,

i'm reading the book of PC and i reached to Chapter 20 with a lot of confusions. It may not be the good idea but i started to make some investigation to find out more about this theory.
Could u pls advise me any other book about this case (hoping that it translated into Turkish for my easier understanding) other than "The Ultimate Jack The Ripper Companion" as recommended by CB ( thank u CB )

Mark McGlone
Police Constable
Username: Kidtwist

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2005 - 1:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Levant,

I would suggest Philip Sugden's "The Complete History of Jack the Ripper." Don't know if it's translated into Turkish, but it probably is since it's considered by most people to be "THE" Ripper book. And unlike Cornwell, Sugden isn't really peddling his own suspect. This is a big plus in my opinion.

If you prefer a shorter book there's always Donald Rumbelow's The Complete Jack the Ripper.

(Message edited by kidtwist on June 30, 2005)

Glenn G. Lauritz Andersson
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Glenna

Post Number: 3660
Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2005 - 2:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mark,

I don't know; I have a feeling that many of those books about JtR only is available in English; in Sweden, for example, you can't get them even in the original language and they certainly do not exist in Swedish.
The only one we have that has been translated to Swedish is Cornwell's book (unfortunately). Sugden's, Begg's and all the others one has to order through the Internet.
I don't think those books exists in that many foreign editions.

Levant,

Besides Sugden's and Rumbelow's book, I can also recommend Paul Beggs The Facts, which is rather new and fresh. And like Rumbelow's and Sugden's books, it doesn't stress a particular suspect but is rather objective.

My first one was Martin Fido's The Crimes, Detection and Death of Jack the Ripper, which is a very entertaining and well researched book as well, regardless of what you think of it's solution.

All the best

(Message edited by Glenna on June 30, 2005)
G. Andersson, author/crime historian
Sweden

The Swedes are the men That Will not be Blamed for Nothing

Frank van Oploo
Chief Inspector
Username: Franko

Post Number: 679
Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2005 - 6:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Levant,

In addition to the books suggested by Mark and Glenn I would suggest "Jack the Ripper An Encyclopaedia" by John J. Eddleston.

It's rather easy to read, clearly structured and not too long (about 300 pages) and, among other things, contains some useful maps, photos and newspaper articles.

All the best,
Frank
"There's gotta be a lot of reasons why I shouldn't shoot you, but right now I can't think of one."

- Clint Eastwood, in 'The Rookie' (1990)

Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3661
Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2005 - 7:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Frank,

I've totally missed that one.
Never heard of it.

Sounds interesting -- at least it sounds suitable for a newbie.

All the best
Sweden

Frank van Oploo
Chief Inspector
Username: Franko

Post Number: 680
Posted on Friday, July 01, 2005 - 4:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Glenn,

Yes, it was my first Ripper book. What I forgot to mention is that it's an objective piece of work and also contains a chapter dealing with a number of misconceptions about the whole case. So, a valuable book, especially to the newbie.

Vi ses!
Frank
"There's gotta be a lot of reasons why I shouldn't shoot you, but right now I can't think of one."

- Clint Eastwood, in 'The Rookie' (1990)

Mark McGlone
Police Constable

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, July 01, 2005 - 9:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wow, "Jack the Ripper An Encyclopaedia" is priced at $75.00 on Amazon! That's amazingly high, especially for a book of only 300 pages. Anybody know why?

Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3663
Posted on Friday, July 01, 2005 - 10:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mark,

Where on Amazon did you see that?
They have it in paperback for $12.34.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1843580462/qid=1120226684/sr=1-5/ref=sr_1_5/103-9617769-4482251?v=glance&s=books

I haven't seen it for $75.00, but if there is one for that price, it might be a signed collectible or something, but it sounds a bit over the top. Or else you got the wrong title.

All the best

(Message edited by Glenna on July 01, 2005)
Sweden

Mark McGlone
Police Constable

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, July 01, 2005 - 10:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here it is. It's a hardcover and has a few more pages then the one in your link.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1576074145/ref=pd_ecc_rvi_3/102-1670230-2899338?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance

Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3664
Posted on Friday, July 01, 2005 - 10:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Mark,

Thanks. Strange, that never came up during my search on the American Amazon site.

It IS a baffling high price; the only reason I can see -- with a bit if experience myself in publishing -- could be that the edition and number of copies may be rather small, which makes the price on each copy very high. You see it often in academic and university books, for example.
I can see no other reason for it.

I prefer hardbacks myself, but if one wants a cheaper price, there is always the paperback version, although it seems to be edited down a bit.

All the best
Sweden

John Savage
Inspector
Username: Johnsavage

Post Number: 431
Posted on Friday, July 01, 2005 - 6:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Mark,

The price of John Eddlestone's book has been commented on before. It seems to be very expensive in the US, but here in the UK the paperback version is easily available at bookshops at the price of £9.99p.

Rgds
John

Angie
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, July 10, 2005 - 6:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Glenn, Rumbelow's book has been translated to Swedish and can be found in most libraries.

D. pegg
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, November 03, 2005 - 3:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

after spending an evening reading through every post, the one thing that sprung to my mind, every time, was this:
whether you believe or disbelieve sickert as being the ripper, i find it surprising over how many of you assume to know him, one way or another, be it as a great artist, or as a murderer.
yes yes...i am well aware that there are people who follow his work like a religion, learning things of his life and musings etc... but still, there is only so much that you can learn of a person who died long ago...none of you know what went on in this mans mind, or WHAT he was capable of, no matter how you interperate his paintings.

and did any of you ever stop to think that, under some miricle evidence, tomorrow the world was told that jack the ripper WAS a michael smith, every last person whom is interested in the ripper case would all say 'oh....right.' and walk off feeling slightly empty and let down with the conclusion?

the sad truth is, you can all sit there arguing over what painting means what to whom, and how long you have been in college learning about walter sickert, or how it is your lifes work to know every last detail about him...the fact of the matter is, none of you will even be able to state for a fact that sickert was or was not the ripper. to me...this is ridiculous... i wasn't aware that any of his relatives or aquaintences were still alive...or is it a miricle?

Jennifer Pegg
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Jdpegg

Post Number: 3212
Posted on Friday, November 18, 2005 - 9:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

do i know you?

five words!
"You know I'm not gonna diss you on the Internet
Cause my mamma taught me better than that."

Phil Hill
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Phil

Post Number: 1028
Posted on Friday, November 18, 2005 - 4:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

D. Pegg - your post adds to the discussion, what?

To this extent the fascination with JtR is a "game". Not I'll admit to the criminologists among us. But to people like me the question of whom he might have been is an intellectual puzzle, worth playing with. the solution is NOT of earth-shattering importance.

But that Sickert was the Ripper - any more than the anonymous "Michael Smith" you mention - there is not a shred of proof. We have known for decades that the murders (and others) fascinated him - he seems to have made no secret of it. Cornwell has indicated that there is some evidence he might have gone as far as writing nuisance letters. But that he was the killer .... nothing (and quite a bit of evidence, such as his absence abroad, to the contrary).

I don't disagree with your post much at all, but if you don't like the game, leave the pitch. No one forces you to become involved.

Phil

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.