Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

P.C. Richard Brown Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Suspects » General Discussion » P.C. Richard Brown « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Alan Sharp
Chief Inspector
Username: Ash

Post Number: 588
Posted on Wednesday, May 12, 2004 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Apologies if this has been discussed before - I can't seem to find it anywhere.

George Brown, a Metropolitan Policeman, committed suicide in Hyde Park on November 16th 1888 by shooting himself.

Has anyone ever looked into this chap, found out what division he was from, what the reasons for his suicide were etc.

(in other words, me being lazy, is there any point in me looking further?)

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 2431
Posted on Wednesday, May 12, 2004 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Alan

Chris George did a long and very interesting article "The Mysterious Life And Death Of PC Richard Brown" in 'Ripperologist' number 49.

Robert

Stephen P. Ryder
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 3091
Posted on Wednesday, May 12, 2004 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We have two contemporary press reports which mention PC Brown's suicide:

http://www.casebook.org/about_the_casebook/cbindex.html?showindex=Richard%20Brown
Stephen P. Ryder, Exec. Editor
Casebook: Jack the Ripper

Alan Sharp
Chief Inspector
Username: Ash

Post Number: 590
Posted on Thursday, May 13, 2004 - 6:16 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks. Interestingly I have Rip 49 somewhere, I'll have to dig it out!

Christopher T George
Chief Inspector
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 750
Posted on Thursday, May 13, 2004 - 10:24 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Alan

I hope you do read my article on P.C. Richard Brown in Ripperologist 49. It is quite an interesting story. His background is murky. In joining the Met's E Division in August 1886 and also earlier when he joined the Royal Artillery in Liverpool in March 1878, he claimed to have been born in Adelaide, South Australia, but the address given does not check out. Additionally when he deserted from the artillery and joined the Northumberland Fusiliers on November 12, 1878, he gave his place of birth as Heligoland, which is an island off Germany, then a British possession but later traded by the British for Zanzibar. He was courtmartialed spent time in the Millbank Military Prison and went back into the Royal Artillery, being honorably discharged in spring 1886, several months before joining the Met. A notation in his Army papers indicates that his address was Bethnal Green, in the East End, although so far I have been unable to find a specific address.

Brown was let go from the police on Tuesday, 13 November 1888 (four days after the murder of Mary Jane Kelly) for failing to appear on parade for night duty at a quarter to ten, and was said in the Police Orders for that day to be "considered unfit for the Police Force", although his conduct otherwise while serving in the Met appears to have been good. He was allowed to resign from the police in order to keep his testimonial. After his resignation, he told acquaintances he had plans to go abroad, bought a revolver supposedly for protection during his trip, then shot himself at midday on Friday, 16 November while seated on a park bench in Hyde Park, not far from the Hyde Park police station, on a path leading to the Serpentine.

The question of a whistle heard about the time of the suicide was not resolved. P.C. Duncan McKenzie, 593A, heard the whistle, which he thought was a police whistle, walked down the path toward the lake and found Brown slumped on a park bench "with the revolver tightly clasped in his right hand and blood flowing from his mouth." (The Times, 20 November 1888).

In the Jewish Chronicle of 29 December 1888, reporting belatedly on the inquest it was stated that "It transpired that Sir Charles Warren had shown him great kindness and the deceased became very depressed when the resignation of the late Chief Commissioner [of the Metropolitan Police] was announced."

The circumstances of Richard Brown's life and death are certainly odd but whether his death had anything to do with the murders remains to be seen.

I do plan a follow-up article for a future issue of Ripperologist.

Best regards

Chris George

(Message edited by ChrisG on May 13, 2004)

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.