Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

LORD WIMBORNE'S BALL Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Suspects » Druitt, Montague John » LORD WIMBORNE'S BALL « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

John Ruffels
Inspector
Username: Johnr

Post Number: 209
Posted on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 5:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Montague John Druitt one of the suspects in the long list of Ripper "possibles", disappeareared
from his lawyer chambers in late November, early December 1888.
Nothing much is known of his movements from that time (when he got into "serious trouble" at the school he was also teaching at), until his body was fished from The Thames in the Chiswick area
on the last day of December, 1888.
His brother, William Harvey Druitt was advised early in December that Montague was missing, But William was not living in London, but Christchurch in Dorset.So searching was difficult.
One of the things we do know is that Prince Albert Victor quite suddenly, broke his family's tradition of observing long periods of mourning on the death of their European Royal cousins, by
announcing his intention of going down to Canford House, the Dorset seat of his friend Lord Wimborne. It seems Wimborne already (I am not sure on this point) had a few days of shooting organised, and when the Prince told him he wanted to come down too, Lord Wimborne felt obliged to tack a ball onto the programme as a gesture of
respect to his exalted visitor.
Invitations for the ball were sent out, and a long list of those invited was published in the SOUTHERN GUARDIAN, a Bournemouth-printed local newspaper.
Amongst those mentioned amongst invitees in that newspaper article were:
"Druitt, Mrs and Miss Druitt and Mr Montague"
This list could well have been compiled by Lord Wimborne's secretary from an out-of-date Royal Blue Book.
Montague's brother William Harvey Druitt, was not listed. This may be because his family lived some distance from Wimborne.
I think that list of guests to Lord Wimborne's Ball should be downloaded onto the Casebook Boards.
(It was included as a link on the Old Message Boards by Simon Owen on 25th June 2000. But, needless to say, we can no longer access that link. Although the old discussions about Montague Druitt are retrievable by those who take advantage of the offer to purchase the CD ROM of the Old Message Boards; well worth the money I think).
Does anyone out there have a copy of the list of invitees to the Canford House Ball given by Lord Wimborne for Prince Albert Victor on 18th December, 1888?
If so, is there any way we can get that list placed on the New Message Boards?
Who knows what treasures or conspiracy theories it might throw up?
Any other suggestions by sharp-minded posters would be gratefully welcomed.
JOHN RUFFELS.

John Savage
Inspector
Username: Johnsavage

Post Number: 177
Posted on Friday, April 23, 2004 - 7:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi John

I am afraid I do not have a list of the guests at Lord Wimborne's ball, but whilst in the library I looked the man up in the British Biographical Index. It does not tell us much of any use but contains some interesting back ground and I thought it might be of interest.

Ivor Bertie Guest, 1st baron wimborne (1835 – 1914)

WIMBORNE (Ivor Bertie Guest) first Baron, was born on August 29, 1835, and succeeded as second baronet 1852. He was educated at Harrow and Trinity College Cambridge. The death of his father in, in 1852, put him in possession of a great income, increased by the judicious extension of the celebrated Dowlais Iron works, the largest, as they were the first to be established in South Wales, so that they now extend to the boundaries of Cardiff itself. Under the superintendence and direction of the principal trustee, Mr. G.T. Clark FSA, they are famed throughout the world. In 1868 Lord Wimborne, then Sir Ivor Guest, married Lady Cornelia Churchill, daughter of the sixth Duke of Marlborough and sister of Lord Randolph Churchill.
He was raised to the peerage in 1880, having although the scion of a Whig family, contested several constituencies in the Conservative interest. His eldest son came of age in 1894, and his eldest daughter is married to Lord Rodney. His brothers have made their mark in various directions, Mr. Montagu Guest being one of the best known men of the day. Of his sisters, one married Sir Henry Layard, the distinguished politician, traveller, and diplomatist; another married Mr. Frederick Alderson, brother of Lady Salisbury; and a third is the wife of Mr. E. Ponsonby, secretary to the Speaker of the House of Commons.
His residence at Canford has been visited by members of the Royal Family, and especially so by Prince and Princess Christian and by the Duke and Duchess of Teck; in 1887 the Prince of Wales paid it a visit. Hamilton house, now Wimborne House, in Arlington Street is Lord Wimborne’s town residence; and he owns what is, perhaps, the finest deer forest in Scotland, at Auchnashellach, in Ross-shire,. Many trophies of deerstalking ornament his town and country houses. Lord Wimborne has no hesitation in declaring that he inherited his passion for “collecting” from his mother, Lady Charlotte Schreiber. Her collection of British pottery, probably the finest in existence, she munificently presented to the nation, while the whole of her Oriental china has found a resting place at Canford, where it stands in a series of many cabinets, in the long corridor.

Taken from PRATT A.T.C. People of the period 2v 1

Best Regards
John Savage

Jeffrey Bloomfied
Inspector
Username: Mayerling

Post Number: 339
Posted on Friday, April 23, 2004 - 11:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

After reading the biographic material on Lord Dorset, I decided to check a book I have - THE LUCK OF NINEVEH by Arnold C. Brackman (London, Eyre Methuen, 1980). It is a study on the archeological career of Sir Henry Austin Layard.
It does touch on his connections to the Guest family First regarding Ivor's father and mother:

[P. 213 - 215]

"During the writing of the book [NINEVEH AND ITS REMAINS... - in 1848] he spent most of his time at Canford Manor, Dorsetshire, near Bournemouth, the home of a cousin, Lady Charlotte Guest, and her husband, Sir John, both of whom he had recently met in London.
Sir John and Lady Charlotte were good friends of the Disraelis and the [Stratford] Cannings. In December, the month Layard returned to England, Canning had shown Lady Charlotte some of the drawings Layard made at Nimrod, and she had found them fascinating and "curious," as she noted in her diary. In February, Charlotte and her husband, who was a member of Parliament, paid a short visit to London, "to vote on the admission of Jews to Parliament," and in the course of their stay, Charlotte met her first cousin for the first time. She was immediately taken with "the Eastern explorer," as she described him, and Layard was soon ensconsed at Canford Manor as a member of the family circle.
Layard was thirty-one at the time, Charlotte five years his senior, and her husband, Sir John, was sixty-three years old and ailing.
When Charlotte had married him in 1833, at the age of nineteen, Guest was a vigorous, forty-nine-year-old widower and ironmonger-and a commoner. He had never got beyond grammar school, but he was alive to the ongoing Industrial Revolution and at Dowlais experimented with substituting raw coal for coke in the manufacture of steel. He was the first ironmaster to roll rails, a feat which was scoffed at in his day as impractical.
Charlotte's wedding had shocked the nobility and gentry. She had married "into trade," as it was quaintly expressed in those days, and the couple was ostracized by society. But soon the whole of England was riding on Guest's rails and he, in turn, rode those trakcs to enormous wealth and respectability. By 1838 the aristocracy had come to terms with England's emergent new class; trades people had become "captains of industry," and Guest was created a baronet.
Charlotte was as remarkable an individual as her husband. She was not only vivatious, attractive, and independent-minded, but also talented. Chaucer was her favorite author, with Virgil and Byron close seconds. She read the classics in Greek and Latin, and was familiar with Persian and Hebrew. After her marriage to John Guest, she took up Welsh and translated into English MABINOGION, a project that took eight years and required her to master the early medieval text in which the Welsh tales were composed. Her translation of MABINGION was published in three volumes in 1846, two years before Layard arrived on the scene at Canford, and it was these tales that inspired Alfred Lord Tennyson to write THE IDYLLS OF THE KING.
Charlotte Guest was a remarkable woman in other ways. In fifteen years of marriage, she bore ten children, five boys and five girls. A portrait of her in this period by Watts, the same artist who sketched Layard's picture, shows a singularly youthful face.
As a wedding present for his young bride, Guest had acquired and rebuilt Canford Manor, a medieval ruin fit for archaeological research. In the ensuing years the manor was reborn on a grand scale in the popular neo-Gothic style of the Victorian period, complete with its own cricket field."

Also, on page 215:

"Among the children, one in particular took a special fancy to "Uncle Henry," five-year-old
Mary Enid Evelyn, whom he bounced on his knee and who bore a striking resemblance to her mother. Enid, as she was called, fel madly in love with her mother's Ninevite."

P. 271:

"John Guest was bedridden at the time, and Layard spent Christmas week that year at Canford. Lord Bessborough, a relative of Charlotte's and the editor of her diaries, said "He made himself responsible for entertaining the ten children, so leaving Lady Charlotte to look after her husband.
When Sir John died the following year at the age of sixty-seven, Charlotte went into mourning for six months, and on her first ventrue in public, she joined Layard at Covent Garden to hear FIDELIO."I felt some scruples on the matter of this first going out again," she wrote in her diary, "but I muffled up going and coming, and sat at the back of the box, and so escaped notice." The gossips were having a field day, however, and Layard's name became linked romantically with his cousin's."

P. 295 - 297:

"For Layard, the year 1869 was a watershed. Not only did he give up his desire to "push his way" through politics, but he also abandoned his bachelorhood.
For years there had been gossip about Layard's incessant visits to Canford Manor. Lady
Charlotte, of course, was the focus of the petty talk. But within two years of Sir John Guest's death, she silenced that gossip and provided rumormongers with another field day - by marrying her son's tutor!
At the time of her husband's death, Charlotte had engaged one Charles Schreiber, at a salary of 400 pounds a year, to coach her sixteen-year-old son Merthyr. Schreiber was eleven years Merthyr's senior and fourteen years Charlotte's junior. On April 10, 1855, she married him. Schreiber's mother was ambivalent about the wedding. "This is nothing to be ashamed of, though there may be much to be said for and against, on both sides...," she had written the coule when they revealed their plans to her the previous November.
Layard had no such ambivalence. He strong
disapproved of her action, and relations between Layard and Charlotte cooled appreciably. Charlotte felt hurt. There were stories unsubstantiated, that he had hoped to marry her.
Apparently Charlotte's ten children also took a dim view of their mother's remarriage, and life at Canford Manor lost much of its festive air and attractiveness for the Guest children, just as it had for Layard.
In 1857, in an August 1 diary entry, Charlotte again expressed dismay over Layard's behavior. "He cannot forgive my marriage," she wrote.
But not longer after, Layard appeared to have undergone a change of heart. Within two years he was visiting Canford Manor frequently as in the past. Victorian tongues wagged the more - but inconclusively. Now what was the object of Layard's incessant trips to Canford?
Then, in early January 1869, Layard titillated London society. He proposed - to Enid, Lady Charlotte's daughter, the tyke he had bounced uon his knee when he first returned from Assyria. Tiny Enid had ripened into a tall, slender, and lovely young woman of twenty-five. She possessed classic features, aquiline nose, blue eyes, and honey - colored tresses that fell to her shoulders. Mr Bull [Layard's nickname] had always been the love in her life, first paternally (her father died when she was eight), and, after adolescence, in a surprisingly and completely different way. Whether or not she was waiting for him and whether or not he was waiting for her is not known and will never be known. Layard and Enid were private about their most intimate relationship.
Whatever the case, Enid did not hesitate a moment. She readily accepted Layard's proposal. As an engagement present, he snapped around her thin left wrist - it was slender enough for him to encircle it with his thumb and index finger - andexquisite bracelet fashioned from Esarhaddon's seal.
The reaction of the prospective in-laws were mixed. Now it was Lady Charlotte's turn to be discomfitted. Her daughter's decision took her by surprise, and it took a couple of months to turn her around. Layard's mother, who had never remarried and was now sixty-six (she died in 1879 at the age of eighty-nine),also harbored reservations. "I hope that she [Enid] will never regret the change," Marianne Layard wrote Charlotte.
Many of the couple's friends entertained similar misgivings. Not only was Enid twenty-seven years younger than Layard, but she had led a relatively sheltered, almost cloistered existence at Canford. By contrast, Layard was worldly, roisterous, restless, and explosively aggressive.
Marriage bonds were posted March 3 and the wedding took place swiftly, six days later. As a wedding gift, Layard presented his "darling Enid," as he fondly called her, a unique piece of jewelry, a necklace fashioned from several cuneiform cylinders."

The marriage actually worked well, and the Layards were still together when Sir Austen died in 1894. However, they had no children.

The book mentions that both Charlotte and Enid kept journals and diaries. Possibly there can be mentions of the Druitt family.

I was considering a point regarding the marriage of Ivor, Lord Wimborne, to Lady Cornelia Churchill. Remember that the Duke of Clarence's parents did not approve of his friendship with Wimborne. Well this makes sense. Eddy's father Bertie, Prince of Wales, hated Lord Randolph Churchill (Wimborne's brother-in-law) who had once threatened to publish some compromising letters regarding an adulterous relationship of the Prince, in retaliation for some action of the Prince towards Lord Randolph's older brother. Bertie destroyed social positions for many in society (frequently former friends of his) when they angered him. Only if they had other gifts (Lord Randolph's political genius - until he began losing his mind in 1887; Lord Charles Beresford - who had threatened to hit the Prince over an insult to his wife - was saved by his naval command abilities) did they overcome Bertie's social ostracism. Others were less lucky - Sir William Gordon - Cumming after the Tranby Croft card-cheating scandal reached the courts (Bertie had to give testimony). Despite his military abilities Sir William was forced into premature retirement. Apparently due to the power of their iron foundries Lord Wimborne and his wife could survive the Prince's ostracism too).

Jeff

R.J. Palmer
Inspector
Username: Rjpalmer

Post Number: 377
Posted on Saturday, April 24, 2004 - 12:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

John Ruffels---Hi. I'm rotten at this techno-stuff, but Simon Owen mailed me a copy of the Southern Gaurdian piece a long time ago and I still have it. If you email me, I'll forward it and perhaps you can figure out how to download it. Cheers, RP

(Message edited by rjpalmer on April 24, 2004)

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chris

Post Number: 1188
Posted on Saturday, April 24, 2004 - 2:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Robert
If you want to mail it to me I will get it transcribed and posted
All the best
Chris

John Ruffels
Inspector

Post Number: 215
Posted on Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 4:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Marvellous. Well done .
Firstly ,sincere thanks to John Savage and Jeffrey Bloomfield. Absolutely fascinating facts about the Wimbornes and also the Layards.
Thanks for taking the time to research these and particularly, to type them on to these boards.
I am grateful to you.
Other than the important relationship between the
crotchetty Prince of Wales and his son Clarence and HIS circle, which Jeffrey seems to have added confirmation too, I was interested to learn Canford House had its own CRICKET FIELD...Hmmm...
John's information on the first Lord Wimborne and his marriage lines and the source of his "tradespeople" wealth, proved equally fascinating.
My old researching colleague, Eric Hermes, now dead, did some research into the Wimborne family .
He wondered if there was a coincidence in the fact one of Lord Wimborne's sons was a MONTAGU JOHN GUEST. Could, he pondered, Montague Druitt have been a Godson?
This very same Montagu Guest went to a shoot at
Sandringham in 1907 and collapsed and died there!
His host, the Prince of Wales, died the following year. Apparently, whilst the Prince of Wales did not like Lord Wimborne, he liked his brother Monty.
Did you know the Prince of Wales had his photo taken (complete with terrier dog) at Wimborne in about 1907? This was released into the public domain. My late uncle had a postcard of it.
Robert J Palmer: Thank you very much for having a copy of the guest(!!) list for the Wimborne Ball.
I was beginning to dispair of ever sighting it.
And once again, much thanks to Chris Scott for your generous offer to download the list onto the Casebook boards.
Lastly, perhaps I should explain why I am interested in the guest list for the Ball of 18 December, 1888.
You see, Eric Hermes , my late colleague, also discovered the ,I think, SOUTHERN GUARDIAN, every few days in 1888, recorded house-guests amongst the gentry in the Bournemouth/Christchurch
/Wimborne/Canford area. It was there he discovered a "Mr Richard Ball" was a house guest at William Harvey Druitt's (Christchurch) house on 18 December 1888. Perhaps William enlisted that gentleman's help in searching discreetly for his missing brother, MJD.
I also think it might be useful to see if any of the invitees to the Ball would turn up amongst Montague's list of friends.(Canford House cricketing pals?).
Bearing in mind William Harvey Druitt was not invited.. but his relatives, the Harveys were...

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1190
Posted on Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 11:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here is the full Canford Ball article which was supplied to me by R.J.Palmer:

Southern Guardian (UK)
Saturday 22 December 1888

ROYAL VISIT TO WIMBORNE
PRINCE ALBERT VICTOR AT CANFORD
GRAND COUNTY BALL AT CANFORD MANOR

On Monday afternoon last quite a flutter of excitement was caused in Wimborne by the sudden announcement that Prince Albert Victor was coming down by the 5.20 express train from London on a visit to Lord and Lady Wimborne at Canford, to take part in the battue shooting to which a large and distinguished company had been invited by Lord Wimborne. The station approaches were decorated with flags, evergreens, and triumphal arches hurriedly constructed and presented a festive appearance. There was a crowd of people awaiting the 5.20 train, but they were doomed to disappointment for H.R.H. did not arrive until the next train, timed to reach Wimborne at 6.49. He was met at the station by Lord Wimborne, and proceeded along the crimson cloth covered platform, and down the steps to the carriage into which he got with his lordship and at once drove off to Canford. There was no cheering; in fact the chilly foggy weather appeared to take the enthusiasm out of everybody.
Mr. Holford was in attendance on the Prince, and there were also in the Royal train and of the party Lady Sefton, Lady G Molyneux, Lady Cottrell, Mrs. and Miss Cottrell, Mr. Adrian, Mrs. and Miss Hope, Lady Randolph Churchill, the Earl of Shaftesbury, the Russian Ambassador, Mr. Montgomery, Mr. Montagu Guest, and the Hon. Wilson Patten.
The party staying at Canford Manor during the week included Prince Albert Victor, the Earl and Countess of Sefton and Lady G. Molyneux, the Earl and Countess of Clarendon, the Earl of Shaftesbury, the Russian Ambassador (M. de Stael), Lord and Lady Randolph Churchill, Lord Drumlanrig, Lord Cantalope, the Hon. Lady Cotterell, Lady Sarah Spencer Churchill, Mr. Holford, Mr., Mrs. and Miss Hope, Mr. Montagu Guest, Mr. and Miss Hervey, Mr. Wilson Patten and Mr. Alfred Montgomery.

THE SHOOTING
The Prince, with Lord Wimborne, and a number of the gentlemen made up a battue shooting party on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday, and the result of the three days' shooting was as follows:-
Tuesday, Brake Hills cover: 514 pheasants, 10 partridges, 29 hares, 24 rabbits, 5 woodcock. Total 592
Tuesday, Longfleet cover: 42 partridges, 15 pheasants, 1 rabbit, 3 snipe.
Wednesday, Hampreston cover: 1,108 pheasants, 10 hares, 17 rabbits, 10 woodcock, 1 snipe.
Wednesday, river shooting: 30 sucks, 8 pheasants,1 hare.
Thursday, Canford covers: 700 pheasants, 8 hares, 20 rabbits, 8 woodcock. (This does not include the number - calculated at about 150 pheasants - not picked up when darkness set in.)
Thursday, Merley cover: 46 pheasants, 1 hare, 22 rabbits, 1 woodcock, 9 wild duck.
The totals (not allowing for the pickings up of Thursday) for the three days were:- 2395 pheasants, 52 partridges, 49 hares, 83 rabbits, 18 woodcock, 4 snipe and 89 wild duck.

THE BALL
On Thursday night Canford House was en fete on the occasion of a grand country ball given by Lord and Lady Wimborne in honour of the Prince's visit. The music was supplied by the Bournemouth Royal Italian Band, and was exceedingly well balanced for the size of the Great Hall in which the dancing took place. This hall is situated in the middle of the extensive block known as Canford House, and is a magnificent apartment capable of holding several hundred people with ease. The height from the floor to the apex of the roof is 60 ft., and the side walls for about 12ft. up above the floor level are covered with rich black oak panelling, hand carved in the Renaissance style. The space above the oak carving to the spring of the roof (some 20ft.) is hung the whole way round with the choicest specimens of Gobelin tapestries, illustrative of rural scenery, the subdued tones of which harmonize pleasantly with the dark oak carving. The huge groined roof, resting upon carved corbels, is quite a feature in itself, and every corner of it has apparently been taken advantage of to exhibit the highest of art hand gilding and decoration. Suspended from the centre are two beautiful candleabra, containing each some 200 or 300 wax candles, which with large brass lamps lighted the room up with great effect.
The company began to arrive about half past ten, and were welcomed in the corridor by Lord and Lady Wimborne. Within half an hour or so the hall was well filled and the brilliant lighting, the varied toilets, and the sparkling of jewels of the "upper ten thousand" of the company made the scene an animated one in every respect.
Price Albert Victor and the house party before mentioned were among the company present, and dancing was kept up until about two o'clock.
The following is a list of the invitations to the ball:
Atkinson, Sergeant and Miss, Rowlands, Wimborne.
Aldridge, Mr. and Mrs. and son, Poole.
Aldridge, Mr. and Mrs. Reginald, Poole.
Alman, Professor and Mrs., Parkstone.
Armistead, the Rev. R and Mrs., Poole.
Algeo, the Rev. F.S. and Mrs., Parkstone Road, Poole (St. Paul's)
Alington, Lord and the Hon. Misses Sturt, Crichel, Wimborne.
Andrews, Mr. and Mrs. and the Misses, Bournemouth.
Ashley, the Ladies, St. Giles.
Bousfield, the Rev. and Mrs., Lodore, Parkstone.
Becker, the Rev. C., Hampreston.
Brouncker, Mrs. and Mrs., and Miss Boveridge, Salisbury.
Bengough, Mr. and Mrs., Misses and party, Upton, Poole.
Batterbury, Dr. and Mrs., Wimborne.
Bentinck, Colonel and Mrs., Beveridge, Salisbury.
Bankes, Mr., Miss and party, Kingston Lacey, Wimborne.
Bastards, Mr. and Mrs., Charlton Marshall, Blandford.
Barnes, Mr. and Mrs., Heatherlands, Parkstone.
Budge, Mr. and Mrs., Poole.
Bernard, Canon, High Hall, Wimborne.
Bishop, The Rev. Mr. and Mrs., Poole.
Butts, Captain, Salterns, Parkstone.
Bodley, Mr. T. and the Misses, The Daison, Parkstone.
Bond, Mr. G. M.P., Creech Grange, Wareham.
Bond, Mr. T. and Lady Selina, Holme Priory, Wareham.
Burrows, The Rev. C.L. and the Misses, St. Paul's Parsonage, Bournemouth.
Baillie, Mr. and Lady Theodosia and the Misses, South Moor, Bournemouth.
Boraston. Rev. G. and Mrs., Tranmeere, Bournemouth.
Belben, Mr., Mrs., and Miss, Longham, Wimborne.
Cambridge, The Rev. O. and Mrs., Bloxworth House, Wareham.
Cambridge, Colonel and Mrs., Bloxworth House, Wareham.
Craig, Gibson, Lady and Miss, Worfield, Bournemouth.
Clinton-Fynes, Mr. and Mrs., Wimborne.
Crespi, Dr. and Mrs., St. John's Hill, Wimborne.
Cecil, Lord and Lady Eustace, Lytchett, Poole.
Cross, the Rev. J. and Mrs., Bailey House, Wimborne.
Carter, the Rev. V. and Mrs., Almer Rectory, Blandford.
Cathell, Colonel and Mrs., Chadsley Glen, Parkstone.
Crokat, Mrs. and Miss, Hawksfield.
Compton, Dr., Poole.
Campbell, Mrs. and Miss, Fars, Wimborne.
Chislett, Mr. and Mrs. H.O., Wimborne.
Chudleigh, The rev. A. and Mrs., Parley, Wimborne.
Cleal, the Rev. E.E. and Mrs., Wimborne.
Clayton, Canon and Mrs. C., Melville, Parkstone.
Churchill, Col. and Mrs., Park Horner, Wimborne.
Dibben, Mr. and Mrs. H., Poole Road, Wimborne.
Druitt, Mrs. and Miss and Mr. Montagu, Wimborne.
Denne, General, Mrs. and the Misses, Downe House, Blandford.
Dugmore, Miss E.M., Parkstone.
Dickinson, Mr. and Mrs. H.S., Poole.
Dugmore, Mr. and Mrs., The Mount, Parkstone.
Dugmore, the Rev. and Lady Elizabeth, St. Peter's House, Parkstone.
De la Combe, Mrs. and the Misses, Heckington, Parkstone.
Damer, Mrs. Dawson, The Elms, Parkstone.
De Winton, Miss, Torbay, Parkstone.
Drax, Captain and Mrs. Erle, Charborough Park, Wimborne.
Austro Hungarian Ambassador, Earl and Countess Deyme, The Knole, Boscombe.
Evans, the Rev. C. and Mrs., Poole.
Eliot, Canon and the Hon. Mrs., Bournemouth.
Elliott, Colonel and Miss Hambley, Bournemouth.
Fairbank, the Rev. R. and Miss, Rowlands, Wimborne.
Farquharson, Mr. and Mrs. E. and party, Huish, Blandford.
Farquharson, Mr. and Mrs. Henry, Tarrant Gunville, Blandford.
Fowler, Mr. R.C., Grammar School, Wimborne.
Fellowes, General and Mrs., Branksome Park, Bournemouth.
Fox, Mr. D.M. and the Misses, Parkdale, Bournemouth.
Forde, Mr. and Mrs. Henry, Luscombe, Parkstone.
Fletcher, Mr. Walter and Mrs., Wimborne.
Farmer, Mr. H., Mayor of Poole.
Forfar, Mr. and Mrs. Bentinck, Trelawne, Branksome.
Greenhill, Mr. and Mrs., Ensbury, Kinson, Wimborne.
Greenhill, Mr. F.M., Longham, Wimborne.
Glyn, Sir R., Lady, and Miss and party, Gaunts, Wimborne.
Graham, Dr. and Mrs., Wimborne.
Greathead, Mr., Lady and Misses, Uddens, Wimborne.
Glyn, Mr., Mrs. and the Misses, Woodleaze, Wimborne.
Greensill, Dr. and Mrs., Deesa, Parkstone.
Griggs, Dr. and Mrs. G., Oak Cottage, Parkstone.
Hawley, Major General and Miss, Uplands, Colehill, Wimborne.
Harvey, Mr. H.F. and Mrs., Wimborne.
Hawkes, the Rev. C. and Mrs., Broadstone, Wimborne.
Huyshe, the Rev. F. and Mrs., Wimborne.
Harris, Colonel and Mrs., West Borough, Wimborne.
Hooper, the Rev. R.J., Wimborne.
Hill, Mr. Broster, Parkstone.
Hine, Dr., Mrs. and Miss H., Chelmsford House, Parkstone.
Hamilton, Mrs. and Miss H., High Moor, Parkstone.
Highmore, Dr. and the Misses, Hardibrow, Alumhurst Road, Bournemouth.
Hitchcock, Dr. and Mrs., Christowell, Branksome, Bournemouth.
Ingham, Mr. and Mrs., Canford, Wimborne.
Jacob, the Rev. W., North Road, Parkstone.
Kennaway, the Rev. C. and Mrs., henbury, Wimborne.
Knox, Colonel and Mrs., Worfield, Bournemouth.
Krauss, the Rev. A., Maisonette, Parkstone.
Kean, Mr. H. and Mrs. Parry Davis, Westowock, Parkstone.
Lewis, Mr. and Miss, Springfield, Parkstone.
Laidleys, Mrs. and Misses.
Lawton, Dr. and Mrs., Poole.
Lawson, the Rev. J. and Mrs., Poole.
Lees, Mrs., Miss and party, Beaucroft, Wimborne.
Lees, Mr. and Mrs. Elliott and party, Stone Park, Wimborne.
Lecren, the Misses, Kinson, Wimborne.
Lane, Major General Powlett, Mrs. and party, Glendon, Wimborne.
Lang, Mr. Wanklyn and Miss Clara Lang, St. Katherine's, Parkstone, Lascelles, the Hon, and Mrs., Sutton Waldron House, Blandford.
La Touche, Mrs. and Miss, Bankside, Parkstone.
Loyd, Mrs. Jones and the Misses J.L., Fern Cliif, East Cliff Road, Bournemouth.
Lambert, Lieutenant Colonel and Mrs., Rowlands, Wimborne.
Malmesbury, the Earl, Countess and party, Heron Court.
Miles, Mr. and Mrs. and party, The Knole, Wimborne.
Monro, Mr., Mrs. and Miss, Edmondsham, Salisbury.
Maclean, General, Miss and party, Wimborne.
Marriott, Sir William and Lady, Down House, Blandford.
Monro, Mr. and Mrs. Hector, Chettle Lodge, Blandford.
Morford, the Rev. Father, St. Mary's, Poole.
McNicoll, Dr. and Mrs., Poole.
Mackintosh, Dr. and Mrs., Poole.
Mayor of Poole.
Muir, Mr. and Mrs. and the Misses, Staunton Harrold, Parkstone.
Nelson, Earl and Countess and party, The Lodge, Parkstone.
Norreys, Lord and Lady, Iwerne, Blandford.
Normanton, Earl and Countess of, and the Ladies Agar, Somerley, Ringwood.
Okedon, Colonel, Mrs. and party, Blandford.
Peel, General, Corfe Lodge, Wimborne.
Paterson, Mr.C., Mrs. and Miss, Canford.
Palmer, Mrs. and Miss Macartney, Littleton, Blandford.
Patey, the Rev., Mrs., Miss and Mr., Hampreston Rectory, Wimborne.
Parke, Mr. and Mrs. E., Henbury, Wimborne.
Parke, Mrs. and Mrs., the Misses, and party, Wimborne.
Paget, the Rev. Cecil and Mrs., Holt, Wimborne.
Parkinson, Dr. S. and Mrs., Wimborne.
Parkinson, Dr. C and Miss, Wimborne.
Plumptre, the Rev. R.W. and Miss, Corfe Mullen Rectory, Wimborne.
Pack, the Rev. H. and Mrs., Poole.
Pontifex, the Rev. S. and Mrs., Hillside, Parkstone.
Philpots, Dr. and Mrs., Moorcroft, Parkstone.
Price, Mr. and Mrs. Mostyn, The Lions, Bournemouth.
Prior, Mr. H.N., solicitor, Poole.
Pearce, Mr. W. Springfield, Parkstone.
Parish, The Rev. W.O. and Mrs. (vicar of Longfleet), Fernside.
Parsons, Mrs., Dalos Lodge, Parkstone.
Rawlins, Mr. and Mrs., Wimborne.
Rawlins, Mr. W., Wimborne.
Rodgett, Mrs., Miss and party, Sandford, Wareham.
Russell, Colonel and Mrs., Kinson, Wimborne.
Richards, the Rev. J. and Mrs., Wimborne.
Ram, Rev. G.S. and Hon. Mrs., St. Peter's Vicarage, Parsonage Road, Bournemouth.
Richardson, Mr. and Mrs. and Mrs. Noble, Bramley Dene, Parkstone.
Stuart, Col. and Mrs., Manor House, Blandford.
Salmon, the rev. F. and Mts., Langton Rectory.
Savoury, Mr., Grammar school, Wimborne.
Sture, the Misses, Rowlands, Wimborne.
Selly, Mr., Mrs. and the Misses and Mr. Blake, Dene, Parkstone.
Stileman, Mr. W.G., Canford, Wimborne.
Sillifant, the Rev. C.W., Mrs. and the Misses S, St. Laurence, Parkstone.
Smith, Dr. A., Ensbury, Kinson.
Stephens, Mr. and Mrs. and party, Eastlington House, Cliff Road, Bournemouth.
Styring, Mr. and Miss, Yarrels, Poole.
Shadwell, Mr. F., Hotel Mont Dore, Bournemouth.
Thomas, the Rev. Vosper, Mrs. and Miss, Wimborne.
Todd, Colonel, Mrs. and party, Keynstone.
Truell, General and Mrs., Wimborne.
Turner, Major and Mrs. Spencer, the Misses, Allandale, Wimborne.
Turner, Dr. and Mrs., Poole.
Tanner, Mr. and Mrs., Wimborne.
Trevanion, Mr. and Mrs., Poole.
Travers, Mr. F. Poole.
Todd, Mr. and Mrs. D'Arcy, Poole.
Walmesley, Mr. and Mrs., Eversfield, Parkstone.
Wyke-Smith, Dr. and Mrs., Wimborne.
Wienholt, the Misses and party, Morley House, Wimborne.
Wynne, the Rev. W., Mrs. and Miss, Whitchurch Rectory, Blandford.
Webb, Mr. and Mrs., Wimborne.
Walker, the Rev. R. and Mrs., Poole.
Williams, the Rev. J.S., Mrs. and Miss W.P., Canford.
Wardley, the Rev.
Weldon, Dr. and Mrs., Kinson.
Webb, Mrs. and Miss W., Heathside, Parkstone.
Walrond, Mrs. Montague, parkstone.
Wanklyn, Mr. J.L., Hotel Mont dore, Bournemouth.
Vernede, Dr. and Mrs., Poole.
Usherwood, Canon, Mrs. and the Misses, Rossmore, Parkstone.

Prince Albert Victor left Canford yesterday, Friday morning, and travelled to London by the 11:10 express from Wimborne.

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1191
Posted on Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 11:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Below is a drawing of Canford House where the ball took place. This is from the Dorset County Council archives

canhouse

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 2393
Posted on Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 11:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

RJ and Chris, many thanks.

Bousfield rings a bell. Wasn't there a Bousfield at Valentine's school?

Robert

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1192
Posted on Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 11:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Rob
there was an Arthur Bousfield listed at Valentine's school in 1881

Bousfield, Arthur.
College: TRINITY HALL
Entered: Michs. 1885
Born:
Died:
Adm at TRINITY HALL, 1885. S. of J[ohn], Esq., of Blackheath. Matric. Michs. 1885; Scholar, 1886; B.A. 1888. At King's College, London. M.B. (London) 1896; M.D. 1905 (gold medal). House Physician at King's College Hospital. M.R.C.S., L.R.C.P., 1895. Late Medical Officer of the Alexandra Orphanage, Hornsey Rise. Of Tudor Lodge, Hornsey Lane, Crouch End, N. 6 (Bousfield and Stowers). Brother of Stanley (1889). (Medical Directory, 1938.)

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2394
Posted on Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 12:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Chris, I thought I remembered your mentioning him before.

Weird to think that if Druitt had been there, he'd have met the vicar who was to bury him a few days later (Rev F. Huyshe).

Robert

Robert Clack
Inspector
Username: Rclack

Post Number: 252
Posted on Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 2:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Robert

There was also a Mary Bousfield, who was Martha Tabram's landlady at 4 Star Street. She testified at Tabram's inquest.

It would be interesting if there was a family connection.

Rob

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2397
Posted on Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 3:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Rob

Yes indeed. Although the "Tabram" Bousfields lived in a poor area, I seem to remember that there were unbelievable numbers of them all living side by side!

Robert

Jeffrey Bloomfied
Inspector

Post Number: 340
Posted on Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 7:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A few comments looking at the party that stayed for the shooting at Canford Manor. Besides the fact that Lord Randolph and Lady Jennie Jerome Churchill were attending a shoot at the home of his sister and brother-in-law, some other names are of interest. Lord Drumlanrig was the eldest son of the 8th Marquess of Queensberry (and the older brother of the notorious Lord Alfred Douglas - "Bosie" to the fans of Oscar Wilde). Drumlanrig eventually was the political secretary of Archibald Primrose, Lord Rosebery, Foreign Secretary (1892 - 1894) and woefully inept Prime Minister from 1894 - 1895). Drumlanrig may have been closer to Roseberry (a widower after 1889)than his secretary. The Marquess followed the pair to a continental spa in 1893, causing a scandal by his accusations. In 1894 Drumlanrig died in a "hunting accident" that most people felt was a suicide. The 9th Earl Of Shaftesbury is of no particular interest. His predecessor, however, committed suicide in 1887, in a hansom cab on Shaftesbury Avenue in London.

As for the ball itself, it will take a deal of time to go throught the list of guests and see if any (aside from Montague Druitt) have interesting backgrounds. I find that the Bastards of Chalton Marshall have the most unfortunate of surnames (Captain Butts is a close second - but there was a brave Major Archibald Willingham Butt who was the military advisor to Presidents Theodore Roosevelt and William Howard Taft, and who drowned in the Titanic disaster with our old friend William Stead). Colonel and Mrs. Bentinck may be related to the family of the Dukes of Portland. Lord and Lady Eustace Cecil may have been related to the family of the Marquess of Salisbury (then the sitting Prime Minister). Why Lord Wimborne had the Austro-Hungarian Ambassador over is anyone's guess - the Prince of Wales had recently visited Vienna on a state trip. Are Sir R. Glyn and family of Gaunts, Wimborne, members of the banking family (bankers of the Royal Family by the way)? Are the Lees of Beaucroft and of Stone Park, Wimborne, related to the noted spiritualist (who may have identified Jack the Ripper)? General Peel of Corfe Lodge sounds familiar, but I cannot remember how. The name of Mr. and Mrs. E. Parke of Henbury, Wimborne, made me stop and wonder - that "E" couldn't be "Ernest". The importance of being Ernest Parke can't be dismissed - was this when the news editor began watching the doings of Eddy - a year before the Cleveland Street Scandal. Anyway, there is more here to be slowly digested.

Jeff

John Ruffels
Inspector

Post Number: 216
Posted on Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 11:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks again to Chris Scott and Robert J Palmer
(and of course, to Stephen P Ryder) for assisting in my indulgent desire to read all of those useless - and maybe, not so useless- names .
What an amazing life Royalty lived in those days,
especially if they were not required to undertake
frontline duties for the State!
Dr Wyke-Smith and his Good Lady were also invited.
The Doctor, of course, a close family friend of the Wimborne Druitts, was also destined to mourn at Montague Druitt's funeral.
What amazes me most about that list is just how many obviously well-to-do families listed Wimborne as their place of residence!
I know the Prince of Wales had a pied-a-terre in Bournemouth, maybe the whole family had a liking for Dorset? Queen Victoria liked the Isle of Wight.And the Prince of Wales' most notorious mistress, Lilly Langtree, was nick-named "Jersey Lilly".
I too shall comb slowly through the list and look for possible friends of Montague, or his family.
Now I see guests were not restricted to Canford/Wimborne,I am wondering why William Harvey Druitt was not invited.

R.J. Palmer
Inspector
Username: Rjpalmer

Post Number: 382
Posted on Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 11:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey-- well-done, Chris, for decryphering that zip-file. I do wonder what ever happened to the late, great Simon Owen? RP

John Savage
Inspector
Username: Johnsavage

Post Number: 180
Posted on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 9:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi All,

First of all may I add my thanks to Chris Scott and R.J. Palmer for posting the Southern Guardian article, it has certainly given us some food for thought and possible further research.

John Ruffels.

Regarding your comments on the common use of the name Montague in both the Guest and Druit families, I wonder if this could have anything to do with the fact that Beaulieu, which is only 20 miles from Wimbourne, is the ancestral home of the Lords Montague?

Best Regards
John Savage

Chris Phillips
Inspector
Username: Cgp100

Post Number: 291
Posted on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 9:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I assume that Montagu(e) Guest's name came from the family of his mother, Charlotte Elizabeth Bertie, daughter of Albemarle Bertie, 9th Earl of Lindsey. She had a brother named Montagu, and the name had been used in her family since the marriage around 1605 of the first earl, Robert Bertie, to Elizabeth, daughter of the first Baron Montagu of Boughton.

Perhaps it would be worth clarifying this business of Montague versus Montagu - particularly in view of the possibility of MJD being a godson of Montagu(e) Guest.

It's interesting that the newspaper report above calls him Montagu (and calls MJD Montagu, for that matter, though there's also a Montague on the list). But maybe this is a mistake, as Guest is listed in the British Library catalogue as Montague, and my notes of his Times obituary likewise call him Montague.

Chris Phillips

Chris Phillips
Inspector

Post Number: 292
Posted on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 9:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Incidentally, one of M. J. Guest's publications is entitled Lady Charlotte Schreiber's journals; confidences of a collector of ceramics & antiques throughout Britain, France, Holland, Belgium, Spain, Portugal, Turkey, Austria & Germany from the year 1869 to 1885. I suspect these lean heavily towards the ceramics and antiques side, but you never know.

Chris Phillips

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2402
Posted on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 1:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Assuming that William knew of Monty's invitation to the ball, would William, knowing that Monty was missing, have written to Lord Wimborne on Monty's behalf, giving some excuse ("my brother is unwell" or somesuch)? I imagine that appearing to snub a ball that included PAV would have been a serious faux pas.

If William did write, could the letter be in some Wimborne family archive somewhere?

Robert

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1199
Posted on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 2:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just a thought - who is the Mrs. Druitt referred to in the list of guests?
Ann Druitt's (Monty's mother) had been hospitalised since July 1888 and William Druitt is still listed in 1891 as single, so it can't be a spouse of his. The "Miss" Druitt mentioned was presumably one of Montague's siblings.
Chris

John Ruffels
Inspector

Post Number: 217
Posted on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 6:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Everyone,
Interesting how several people seized on the suggested possibility Montagu(e) John Guest might have been MJ Druitt's namesake and Godfather.
John Savage and Chris Phillips both noticed the
Montagu family link through Guest's maternal line.And Chris also pointed to the variation in spelling.I think that settles that mystery.
Debretts 1886 Edition also lists Montague
John Guest (with the "e").He was born in 1839 and stayed unmarried.It is possible, given the family's local prominence, MJDs father or mother, might have liked the combination of Christian names and thus chose it as a double tribute to a local worthy.
I like Robert Palmer's clever reasoning concerning a letter from Montague Druitt's brother, William excusing his family's inability to attend. I wonder if Chris Phillips would comment about his knowledge of Wimborne(Guest) family papers.I think he did check at some stage (?).
Chris Scott.
The "Mrs Druitt" referred to on the list of invitees, is undoubtedly Montague's mother Anne Harvey Druitt. It is quite possible the Druitt family kept quiet Anne's hospitalisation; since
mental invalidity was not publicly discussed amongst refined people . Making William's mention of MJD's temporary "unsoundness of mind" in open Coroner's Court rather remarkable although, possibly, unavoidable.
He could have used less direct wording.
The "Miss Druitt" referred to may have been Monty's youngest sister, Ethel Mary (born 1871). Who was the only one of three sisters still unmarried by 1888.
I have not detected any other names of significance in the Ball list. But I am amazed at the number of "Reverend Gentlemen" (vicars) living in the vicinity.
Anyone doubting the up and coming influence of the Druitt family, though more in Christchurch and Bournemouth than Wimborne, might be surprised to learn William Harvey Druitt's cousin, Alan Druitt later fathered Sir Harvey Druitt, who was, I think Treasury Solicitor in the 1970's.
Whilst, Montague's cousin Dr Lionel Druitt had an elder brother, Robert, married to Alice Tupper, the daughter of Daniel Tupper of the Lord Chamberlain's office. And another sister Isabella, married to Horace Hobart-Hampden, son of the Earl of Buckingham!

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2405
Posted on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 3:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi John

Just taking it a stage further : if indeed William wrote excusing his brother and mother from the festivities, there was still Miss Druitt to consider. She would need a chaperone. So why didn't William attend? Perhaps in the end nobody at all was there to represent the Druitt family. But that would have been a very strange thing, surely?

Robert

Chris Phillips
Inspector

Post Number: 294
Posted on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 6:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

On the papers of the Guests (Lords Wimborne), I did look at Montagu(e) John Guest's letters at the British Library, though I confined myself to the period of the murders and later, so there could possibly be information about links to the Druitts earlier on.

A browse through the National Register of Archives website shows some more papers that could be relevant:

Guest, Lady Charlotte Elizabeth (1812-1895) nee Bertie, Translator Diarist and Collector
1824-91 : journals - National Library of Wales

Guest, Ivor Bertie (1835-1914) 1st Baron Wimborne
1885-90 : letters to Sir AH Layard € € 39038-046 passim) - British Library, Manuscript Collections, Reference : Add MSS 39038-46 passim

Layard, Mary Enid Evelyn (d 1912) nee Guest, wife of Sir Austen Henry Layard
1869-98 : corresp, mainly letters to ES White and Jane Frith - Suffolk Record Office, Ipswich Branch, Reference : MS 655

For Sir Austen Henry Layard, there's a mass of material listed, including papers and correspondence at the British Library.

Chris Phillips

Chris Phillips
Inspector

Post Number: 295
Posted on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 7:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As far as interesting guests go, fans of the West Country M.P. who in early 1891 told tales about the Ripper being the son of a surgeon who drowned himself in the Thames may be interested to see Bond, Mr. G. M.P., Creech Grange, Wareham in the guest list. Bond was the Conservative M.P. for the Eastern Division of Dorset from 1886 until his death, 5 November 1891.

Bond is the only guest described as an M.P., but Farquharson, Mr. and Mrs. Henry, Tarrant Gunville, Blandford presumably indicates the Henry Farquarson who was Conservative M.P. for West Dorset from 1885 to his death, 17 April 1895. (In his Times obituary his residence was said to be Eastbury Park, near Blandford - which the map shows to lie just east of Tarrant Gunville.)

Chris Phillips

Jeffrey Bloomfied
Inspector

Post Number: 342
Posted on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 10:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all,

Having looked at the connection between the Guest connection to Sir Henry Austen Layard, I was determined to see more about the Churchill - Guest connection. Unfortunately my copy of JENNIE, the biography of Sir Winston Churchill's mother Jennie Jerome Churchill (the sister-in-law of Lady Wimborne) is out of my reach right now, but I have CHURCHILL,YOUNG MAN IN A HURRY - 1874 -1915 by Ted Morgan (New York: Simon & Schuster, c1982), a biography of Sir Winston's first half of his life. There are no references to any Druitts, but there are three to his aunt and her two sons. And they are not pleasant.

P.40:

"When Winston heard the bad news in January 1893, he was recovering from an accident that had almost killed him. One of his aunts, Lady Wimborne, had lent the family her estate at Bournemouth, about fifty acres of pine forest going down to the smooth beach of the Channel. Through the middle of the forest there ran a deep ravine, crossed by a fifty-yard rustic bridge. Winston, then eighteen, was being chased by his twelve-year-old brother and a fourteen-year-old cousin. They caught him on the bridge, one at each end. To escape capture he jumped off, hoping to grab the top of a fir tree. Instead, he fell twenty-nine feet to the ground. Jack and the cousin went back to Jennie and said: "He jumped over the bridge and he won't speak to us." With a ruptured kidney, Winston was on the mend for about six weeks.[119] His father arrived from Dublin, where he had been spending Christmas without Jennie, with one of London's greatest surgeons in tow. Winston was gratified to see that his parents spared no expense for his well-being. Baron Hirsch, Randolph's Paris friend, who had shown Winston the morgue, wrote that to have survived such a fall, he must have several lives, like a cat.[120]"

[P. 578:
119. Churchill, MY EARLY LIFE
120. RANDOLPH CHURCHILL papers, CC (Churchill College, Cambridge, CC)]

P. 159:

"The boycott shook Churchill, who had to make a great effort to reach the end of his remarks. Advice came from all sides. His cousin Ivor Guest (the son of Lord Randolph's sister Lady Cornelia Wimborne and a social climber known as the Paying Guest), a free trade Conservative MP, said that such an explosion of envy and malice would have a boomerang effect. His father's old friend, Sir Michael Hicks-Beach, who had resigned as Chancellor of the Exchequer in 1902, and who was retiring from politics, told Churchill that a Tory could get on admirably who was more Tory than the Tories, or a Radical who was more Radical than the Radicals, but Radical tendencies in a Tory, or Tory tendencies in a Radical, however agreeable to the conscience, were a severe handicap.[71]"

[71. CV 3, p. 333 (WINSTON S. CHURCHILL by Randolph S. Churchill
Companion Volume II, Part 1, 1901 - 1907 (Houghton Mifflin, 1969): CV3. - this paragraph is dealing with Sir Winston's decision, in 1904, of crossing the aisle and joining the Liberals instead of remaining a Tory, like Lord Randolph had been.]

P. 234:

"Toward those she disliked, like her mother-in-law, she [Clementine] was cool and distant. She thought Jennie was vain and frivolous and a figure of ridicule for having married a man half her age [George Cornwallis-West]. Also in her bad books was F.E.Smith, whom she suspected of encouraging Churchill to gamble and drink when they went off to training camp in the Oxfordshire Yeomanry. Nor could she abide his cousins Ivor and Freddie Guest (the sons of Lord Wimborne, who had married one of Randolph's sisters, Cornelia). Once, when Ivor was her bridge partner at Canford Manor, the Wimborne home, he lost his temper and threw his cards in her face. She insisted on leaving the next morning, taking her reluctant husband with her."

Lord Wimborne's son Ivor was not such a nice character.

If I locate JENNIE, I'll see if there is more about Lady Wimborne.

I wish to add that if these odd connections linking the Churchills, the Guests, and the Layards seem unexpected, it also is Jennie Jerome's family links the Churchills to other interesting people. Her father, Leonard Jerome, was a notable Wall Street investor and stock dealer of the Gilded Age (Jerome Avenue in the Bronx is named for him). Jennie's cousin, William Travers Jerome was the District Attorney of Manhattan in the first decade of the Twentieth Century who prosecuted Harry K. Thaw for shooting Stanford White. Jennie's sister Clara married Moreton Frewen, who was (for three years) the landlord of the novelist/reporter Stephen Crane.

Jeff

David Andersen
Police Constable
Username: Davida

Post Number: 7
Posted on Monday, May 24, 2004 - 2:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

To Chris Scott. Mrs (Anne) Druitt was not in fact hospitalised at that time. She had many leaves of absence. She was 'free' until early 1889.

Jeffrey Bloomfied
Inspector

Post Number: 384
Posted on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 10:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello all,

I have finally got down the two volumes of JENNIE: THE LIFE OF LADY RANDOLPH CHURCHILL by Ralph G. Martin (New York: Signet - New American Library, 1969 - vol. 1, 1971 - vol. 2). There is nothing about the Wimborne family in volume 11 (dealing with the years 1895 - 1921). The first volume called "THE ROMANTIC YEARS, 1854 - 1895" do mention Lady Wimborne, but not her husband.

Lady Wimborne was Lady Cordelia Spencer - Churchill, the sister of Lord Randolph Churchill. She and their older brother Blandford(who eventually became 8th Duke of Marlborough) were opposed to the marriage of the American heiress Jennie Jerome to Lord Randolph Churchill. In Volume 1, on page 72 is a letter from Cordelia (still not Lady Wimborne in 1873) showing her opposition:

"...when one feels how serious a step marriage is, one can't help feeling anxious that you should have chosen hastily...and whther affection so quickly found would be likely to last and get stronger, as one sees how miserable marriage is when the reverse is the case. All I can say is one can't be too careful in taking a step which is so irrevocable....I am afraid that there are many difficulties in the way, and that money will be a great obstacle....Do, dearest Randolph, think calmly and sensibly over the whole matter, and do not let yourself be carried away by what might only be a passing fancy....I think that when one hears people say that marriage is a mistake, and indeed madness, it is a hasty ill-considered marriage that has made them say so."

Blandford wrote a poem (!) which showed how he thought Randolph was letting down the family by marrying beneath him. Randolph sent this to Cordelia who responded (p.73):

"You must not think he means to be unkind. It is only his love of writing pieces that makes him give expression to such ridiculous sentiments, and I think he fancies himself enormously. You know him as well as I do and can make allowances for him...."

There is only a few passing mentions of Cordelia as Lady Wimborne (nothing about her marriage, for that matter). On page 294 of Volume I they mention that the accident at the Wimborne estate in the 1890s that nearly killed Winston Churchill. I thumbed the indices of both volumes - the name Druitt does not appear. Nor any mention of the children of the Wimbornes, the Guest brothers.

Jeff

John Ruffels
Inspector

Post Number: 234
Posted on Wednesday, June 09, 2004 - 12:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Jeffrey
Extraordinarily interesting investigations by you of Wimborne family links. (As usual).
Thanks for sharing them with us.
The only thing I observe is that "Blandford" is in Dorset.
John.

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2517
Posted on Wednesday, June 09, 2004 - 8:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

druitt

Above is the "Times" announcement of Druitt's birth.

Robert

m kirby
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, August 17, 2004 - 6:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have just located this site when searching for something else, I was fascinated by the depth of your investigations as I live in Wimborne. The town has changed very little over the past 300 years. Canford is now a public school, but still looks like the picture posted in April.
The question previously raised re why some many people listed Wimborne as their address is because is and always has been an affluent area, many senior military men retired here in the last century.

Phil Hill
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, November 30, 2004 - 2:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Interesting question as to the make-up of the Druitt party.

One assumes that the printed list represents those who attended (or were invited) with some degree of accuracy - guests would hav been announced orally by a major domoand introduced on arrival, but did ettiquette demand a record be kept (does anyone know?) were invitations returned, or visitng cards left perhaps?

MJD may simply have gone to escort and act as chaperone to the female members of his party. I don't think one can assume any friendship or even aquaintanceship with HRH PAV on the basis of the invitation or attendance. There may have been, but it would need to be separately demonstrated.

An interesting party - the Druitts - (if they indeed attended and the list does not represent invitations). A mentally unstable woman, a man on the verge of suicide and perhaps already depressed and under a cloud of scandal. I wonder what conversation with them, and between them, was like?

But then, I suspect that in the event they did not attend.

Phil

Chris Phillips
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 540
Posted on Tuesday, November 30, 2004 - 3:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Phil

The list is described as a list of those invited, and I think it's impossible that Mrs Druitt or Montague attended. Mrs Druitt was already confined to an asylum, and Montague had gone missing about a fortnight before.

Chris Phillips

Phil Hill
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, December 01, 2004 - 3:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am inclined to agree, if only on grounds of common sense and practicality!!

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 4916
Posted on Friday, September 02, 2005 - 7:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't know whether this has already been mentioned, but William Druitt and Walter Wyke-Smith were at one time partners.

From Perry's Bankrupt Monthly Gazette, 1877, under "Partnerships Dissolved."

Gazette Feb 13th 1877

Robert

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.