Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

"Polly"? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Victims » Mary Ann "Polly" Nichols » "Polly"? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Kris Law
Detective Sergeant
Username: Kris

Post Number: 74
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2004 - 9:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does anyone know where Mary Ann Nichols got the nickname "Polly"?

Monty
Chief Inspector
Username: Monty

Post Number: 642
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2004 - 11:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kris,

Maybe an alias ??

Monty
:-)

Donald Souden
Detective Sergeant
Username: Supe

Post Number: 116
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2004 - 11:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kris,

I can't tell you why, but for ages Polly or Molly have been popular pet names for those whose given name is Mary.

Don.

Sarah Long
Inspector
Username: Sarah

Post Number: 452
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2004 - 11:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kris,

Many people just took other names. I suppose we can wonder where she got this one from. Maybe an relative or just something she fancied calling herself.

All the other victims had aliases too although I must admit, I can see where some of them came from.

Sarah

Bill Holland
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, July 17, 2004 - 6:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My Great Grandmother (a resident of Bethnal Green, b. 1887, d. 1951) was called Mary Ann Lynn and for her entire life, according to my grandmother, was known as Polly, so I assume many London 'Mary Anns' were given this nickname.

Phil Hill
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, December 01, 2004 - 11:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Many of the old short-forms of names are disappearing, or have developed a life of their own. My next door neighbours have just had a baby and her given name is "Molly".

Molly and Polly were (I think) Mary as stated.

Peggy was Elizabeth

Margaret was Maggie, and Marjorie, Marge.

For men

Edward was Ed, Eddy, Ted (though, I think that might have come in with Roosevelt? although Edward VII, "Eddy"'s father was "King Teddy in his lifetime) but also traditionally NED.

Oliver was "Noll" as in Noll Cromwell, the Lord Protector (d 1659)

There are probably many more, not least given the Cockney taste for slang (rhyming and other).

Phil

Sam
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, September 23, 2005 - 12:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Peggy was Elizabeth"

Actually, Peggy is a pet form of Margaret. Margaret also has Madge, although I'm not sure how far back that this goes.

Elizabeth would have Elsa/Elsie, Lizzie, Lisa/Liza/Eliza.

For some odd reason, my maternal grandmother, named Natalie, has been called Nellie, despite that Nellie is a pet form of Helen or Eleanor.

Harry is a Midieval pet form of Henry.

There's a slew of pet names that are becoming used as given names.

Phil Hill
Chief Inspector
Username: Phil

Post Number: 912
Posted on Friday, September 23, 2005 - 12:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Elizabeth was also "Bess" or "Bessie", of course, as in "Good Queen Bess" (Elizabeth I) and could also be "Betty".

Sam, you my be right about "Peggy" - I must admit I didn't check (as I should have done).

Phil

Chris Phillips
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Cgp100

Post Number: 1440
Posted on Friday, September 23, 2005 - 1:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Certainly Peggy is a familiar form of Margaret, Meg becoming Peg in the same way that Moll became Poll (and, though less commonly, Martha became Matt or Matty, and thence Pat or Patty).

Chris Phillips

PS There's a school of thought that says Harry was the normal English form of the name in medieval times - Henry being an artificial form based on the Latin Henricus. In official 15th-century documents written in English (when most were written in Latin or French) the king's name is, apparently, given as Harry.

Julie
Inspector
Username: Judyj

Post Number: 158
Posted on Friday, September 23, 2005 - 4:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris Phillips

Hi Chris. Harry is also a short form of Harold.
My father and my brother were both named Harold however my brother was never called anything but Harry.
regards
Julie

Phil Hill
Chief Inspector
Username: Phil

Post Number: 920
Posted on Saturday, September 24, 2005 - 1:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Julie,

Be careful of modern "mis-use" of nicknames/short forms. These things change over time - Harry and Henry are the pairing with which I am familiar from the past.

That's not to say, of course, that you may not be right. I just urge caution.

Phil

Julie
Inspector
Username: Judyj

Post Number: 159
Posted on Saturday, September 24, 2005 - 12:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Phil Hill
Of course you are right, since I did not take into consideration 1888 as opposed to say 2000. Times change, names change and I am sure nicknames or short form names change with the times, not to mention the fact that often people sometimes apply their own short forms whether or not they actually apply to the given name.
I jumped the gun.
You made a very good point.
regards
Julie

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.