Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Stride Grave Photo Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Victims » Elizabeth Stride » Stride Grave Photo « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Andrew Spallek
Detective Sergeant
Username: Aspallek

Post Number: 149
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2003 - 11:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here are new photos of Liz Stirde's grave at the East London Cemetery, sent to me by a very helpful employee of that Cemetery. Presumably they are current.

Andy

Shannon Christopher
Sergeant
Username: Shannon

Post Number: 13
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 2:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Andrew, thank you so much for sharing the pictures. When my daughter and I were there, it was only the raised stone around the site and no marker.

Shannon

Andrew Spallek
Inspector

Post Number: 153
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 4:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Shannon,

I'm frankly a bit puzzled by the whole thing. When I paid a visit last March I couldn't locate the grave at all (was a bit timid to ask for help).

The same employee informed me that Frances Coles is not buried at the East London Cemetery as I had thought (checked under the aliases as well) but confirmed that an unknown female (the Pinchin Street torso) was indeed buried there on 5 Oct. 1889.

Andy

Jon P. Van Skiver
Police Constable
Username: Jonvs

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 9:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,
I was wondering if this is where Liz really is or is it some type of "common" gravesite that was re-used several times and therefore any remains of Liz are gone.
BRG,
Jon

Andrew Spallek
Inspector

Post Number: 154
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 11:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is apparently a private, not a public or common, grave. The headstone is obviously recent, however. The employee who communicated with me clearly differentiated between public and private graves. Although she did not specifically say that Stride's was a private grave, she did indicate that the unknown female we know as the Pinchin Street Torso was buried in a public grave. Presumably then her omission of the same regarding Stride indicates that she is buried in a private grave. I would presume that her remains are indeed buried at that very spot.

Andy

Andrew Cutmore
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2003 - 8:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My partner,daughter and I visited Elizabeth's grave a month ago.Her headstone is 2 years old and Liz's body will now be at least 10 feet below the ground level.This is because the ground level has been raised several feet from it's original level.Therefore,the graves of Elizabeth's contemporaries have been lost-as newer burials have been made above them on the raised level.Elizabeth may be a relation of mine by marraige-I have to look into that!!From Andrew

Andrew Spallek
Inspector

Post Number: 343
Posted on Saturday, January 24, 2004 - 12:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Andrew -- or anyone else,

I will be visiting London in March. Could you give me precise directions for finding Liz's grave within the East London Cemetery?

Thanks,

Andy S.

Andrew Cutmore
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2004 - 3:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In reply to Andrew Spallek,Elizabeth's grave is on the raised land area on the very left-hand side of the cemetery(It is amoungst all the simple graves).You just walk ahead through the main gates,turn left at the statue in front of you,walk straight down the path as far as you can go.Follow the path right.The raised land is now on your left.Liz's grave is about 1/2 way down and 1/2 way up,in that area.We went there on Sunday-planted 2 plants and I weeded the whole grave.It took 15 mins but looks nice now.Good luck Andrew-the grave is quite easy to find!

Andrew Spallek
Inspector

Post Number: 397
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2004 - 4:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, Andrew. I can't believe I missed it last time as I searched that very area. Oh well, next time! Can you give me an estimate of how far off the footpath her grave is, or what fraction of the way between the footpath and the edge of the cemetery? Or is that what you mean by halfway up?

Thanks.

Andy S.

Andrew Cutmore
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 4:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In reply to Andrew Spallek,I would say her grave is about 20-30 feet to the left of the path(on the raised land).And it is about 1/2 way from the path to the left-hand boundary of the cemetery-beyond that is a park.You should find the grave in the area easily as it has the newest gravestone.The grave also has colourful artificial flowers on it-so it does rather stand out!Good luck.You will find the grave!(I hope the weeds haven't come back too much!)From Andrew Cutmore

Andrew Spallek
Inspector

Post Number: 424
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 10:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you, Andrew. I will give it a try. I depart for London in three weeks!

I think the problem is that it didn't occur to me to search for a newer gravestone. I do know just the area you are talking about, with the park beyond the cemetery limit.

Andy S.

(Message edited by Aspallek on February 25, 2004)

Andrew Spallek
Inspector

Post Number: 476
Posted on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 7:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just back from London where I did locate the grave thanks to Andrew Cutmore's good directions.

Andrew, you'll be happy to know that your weeding efforts paid off. The grave still looks good. There was a plastic angel on the grave (not shown on the pictures above), which was unfortunately broken in two. I could not repair it but I did prop it up with a rick as best I could into its intended sitting position.

Her stone is two years old you say? I can't believe I missed it a year ago. I looked in that very place.

Andrew's directions are very good. The only thing I will add is that Elizabeth's grave lies next to a gap in the graves, presumably for vehicle access, though it is grassed over. Directions to the cemetery are a bit more difficult. Best to consult a map or inquire. You can walk from the West Ham Tube Station, but it's a bit of a hike.

Andy S.

Andrew Spallek
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 528
Posted on Tuesday, June 22, 2004 - 12:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Somewhat recent pictures of the Stride grave, taken late March 2004. You can see the open space around the grave, which is why I say exhumation would be physically easy.

Andy S.

Stride Grave on March 24, 2004
Stride Grave March 24, 2004

Me at Stride Grave March 24, 2004
Stride Grave with Poster 24.03.04

Stride Grave Perspective. Liz's grave is in the near left column, third headstone up.
Stride Grave Perspective 24.03.04

Andrew Cutmore
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, June 29, 2004 - 6:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you Andrew Spallek for sending your photos at Elizabeth's graveside(on the webpage)-I would do the same thing if I knew how to!(I'm not overly computer literate-I've always said that I would have liked to live in Victorian times-as long as I wasn't too poor!!)As I don't have the internet at home,and so time is limited,do you Andrew have any early family info of Elizabeth which could be sent to me?Please let me know!(I still haven't got round to trying to trace if Liz is a relatiuon of mine by marraige!)I will probably go to Liz's grave again in two months(you propped up the broken angel on the grave,well).Lastly,Andrew,are you American?Just a guess-I'm a Londoner through and through!

Andrew Spallek
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 539
Posted on Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 1:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Andrew

I thank you for your accurate directions to the Stride grave, without which I would no doubt have overlooked it again. Unfortunately, this was a rainy, story late afternoon in March and I didn't have much time to spend at the cemetery.

Yes, I am American (the blue jeans probably gave it away!). I do try to get to London on holiday every two or three years at least. I have developed quite an affection for the town. I've been fortunate enough to be there three times in the last 18 months. With luck I might manage another trip next Spring (when airfares are lowest). I have also posted recent photos of the Kelly grave on that thread.

I don't have any further information on Elizabeth. You can glean a lot by perusing this thread, however.

Uploading photos to this message board is easy if you have the photo in digital format. Just click on the "Upload Attachment" button in the posting area and browse your disk for the correct file name.

Regards,

Andy S.

natalia
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, January 04, 2005 - 12:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi!!. Can anyone tell me who visits the grave?.
a friend who went to the graveyard told me that there were fresh flowers on it.
Has she got any relative alive?

Andrew Spallek
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1038
Posted on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 2:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry this is nearly a year late! Many people visit the victims' graves -- Ripperologists mainly. You will almost always see flowers and other items of tribute on them -- Stride's and Kelly's in particular.

Those interested can consult my article in the October 2005 Ripper Notes.

Julie
Inspector
Username: Judyj

Post Number: 265
Posted on Sunday, December 25, 2005 - 3:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Andrew Spallek

Great pictures of Elizabeth Stride's grave.
Thank you.

regards
Julie

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.