Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Stride murder Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Victims » Elizabeth Stride » Stride murder « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Tommy Simpson
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2003 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Regarding the incident whereby a man who saw someone who looked like Stride, conversing with a man on the corner of Fairclough St. Berner St.shortly before the murder. The suspect wore a long overcoat, this was probably because it had rained that night for a few hours prior to the murder. Just suppose that this man was the murderer, a short while later a man was seen talking to Eddowes at the entrance to Church Passage, this man had no overcoat on. Could the murderer of Stride, presuming that overcoated man murdered her, have went home and took off his overcoat. If this is the case then it follows that he must have lived in close proximity to the Stride, or Eddowes murder sites.

Monty
Sergeant
Username: Monty

Post Number: 19
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2003 - 8:28 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tommy,

Fair point.......but !!!

Have you ever heard of the saying 'Dont $hit on your own doorstep'?

Doesnt mean that your sumarization didnt happen.

But in my opinion, which is worth Jack (pardon the pun), I find it unlikely that it did.

Cheers
Monty

Tommy Simpson
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2003 - 9:29 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When i say Close proximity Monty i mean within a walking distance of about 10 to 15 minutes maybe 20. After the killer had murdered Eddowes, he made off in a North Eastly direction, as you know he dropped a piece of Eddowes apron in Goulston St. He then headed East into Whitechapel, and i believe this is where he resided. The sightings we have of the killer suggests that he was of jewish appearance, if he was a jew he was heading into the heart of the Jewish quarter that night.

Debra Hartley
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, January 27, 2004 - 10:00 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,
I'm fairly new to the whole JTR thing and I need some advice.
I am particularly interested in the Stride murder.
Can anyone recommend a book that gives a good account of this particular killing.

All I have at the moment is an old book entitled"unsolved murders".The book gives a very brief overview of the murders and has a mortuary picture of Stride only(which you have probably all seen I guess).

Thanks in advance,

Debra

Leanne Perry
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Leanne

Post Number: 1095
Posted on Tuesday, January 27, 2004 - 5:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

G'day Debra,

Order the book: 'The Ultimate Jack the Ripper Sourcebook'(if your orering from England), and it's called 'The Ultimate Jack the Ripper Companion'(if you order in America). This contains the official records of the case.

LEANNE

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Glenna

Post Number: 1063
Posted on Tuesday, January 27, 2004 - 7:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Debra,

I can also recommend Sugden's and Rumbelow's books on the Ripper subject (note that the books' titles are quite similar) if you want good accounts of the murders and the lives of the victims. To my knowledge, there are no existing book solely dealing with the Stride murder.

All the best
Glenn L Andersson
Crime historian, Sweden

Debra Hartley
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 9:53 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Leanne,

I took your advice and picked up a copy of "the ultimate JTR sourcebook"
and it looks very good indeed,plenty of information and pictures.

Whilst I was in the bookshop I had a quick look through some other "Ripper" titles.

What I didn't realise was that all of the victims were photographed and some of them more than once.
For instance there were two pictures of Mary Kelly in the "Sourcebook",which also contained a picture of Elizabeth Stride,different to the one in my old unsolved murders book.
I also bought a secondhand book written by Daniel Farson,which had no less than four pictures of Catherine Eddowes!

All exciting stuff!

Thanks again for the advice Leanne,

Debra.

Ps here is a scan of my old book showing amoung others Elizabeth Stride.

Richard Brian Nunweek
Chief Inspector
Username: Richardn

Post Number: 638
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Debra,
That picture of Stride , is a gem , I personally , have never seen that one, she was not unattractive was she, what a ghastly throat wound .
Thanks for posting it on this site.
Richard.

Alan Sharp
Inspector
Username: Ash

Post Number: 397
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2004 - 5:45 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Debra,

I've never seen that photo of Liz before either. Would you mind posting the name of the book it is in? I'd be interested to try to find out where they got it from.

Leanne Perry
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1109
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2004 - 5:57 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

G'day Debra,

I recommended that particular book because it contains the official police files, that aren't 'polluted' by the opinions of modern authors. Glad you got it!!!

Is that photo of Elizabeth Stride real, or is it an artists impression of what she would have looked like?

LEANNE

(Message edited by Leanne on January 30, 2004)

Martin Anderson
Sergeant
Username: Scouse

Post Number: 26
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2004 - 6:49 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It does appear to be a photograph, one I have never seen myself, but she does still carry the same Nordic features and wispy hair if you look carefully.

What is the book called Debra and when exactly was it printed?
Martin Anderson
Analyst

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1076
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2004 - 9:37 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I agree, it does appear to be a photograph. She doesen't look that much alike Stride on the mortuary photo, though -- although there indeed are some similarities as far as facial features are concerned. The picture looks a bit retouched and arranged if you ask me, but anyway, I must say I have never seen it before either. Indeed it would be interesting to know the title of the book.

All the best
Glenn L Andersson
Crime historian, Sweden

Steve Laughery
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Debra
Hi!
I have been reading books about Jack the Ripper (off and on) since I was in Middle School (early 1970s), and I have never seen the photo you just posted! It's amazing! It makes me wonder how many other pictures there are floating around out there that I know nothing about! Anyone else? Has that picture been in any other book?
Thank you, Debra!
Steve

Donald Souden
Detective Sergeant
Username: Supe

Post Number: 127
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2004 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm betting the picture is that of a waxwork dummy. This is one instance in which I would gladly be found wrong, but the "skin" seems to have a sheen for which models would mortgage their souls and the highlights seem too bright.
Don.

Robert Clack
Inspector
Username: Rclack

Post Number: 204
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2004 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Debra

Like most here, I have never seen that photo of Elizabeth Stride.
Is there any information in the book about where the photo came from?

All the best

Rob

Vincent
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2004 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"I'm betting the picture is that of a waxwork dummy."
I agree with Donald Souden. This wouldn't be the first time this has happened. Isn't the photo of Mary Pearcy on the casebook actually a photo of her Madame Tussaud's waxwork?
Regards, Vincent

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1079
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2004 - 10:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I agree with Donald's opinion as well; it certainly looks like a wax dummy to me.
Besides, compared with the mortuary photo, her hair on this picture is too short but quite similar to the hair-do on the terrible sketches of her in Illustrated Police News.

All the best
Glenn L Andersson
Crime historian, Sweden

Leanne Perry
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1112
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2004 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

G'day,

I'm voting for a wax dummy, because she doesn't appear to have any eyelashes and her face is too oily looking for a dead person!

LEANNE

Andrew Spallek
Inspector
Username: Aspallek

Post Number: 351
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2004 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm agreeing on the wax dummy theory. That's how it first struck me even before I read the posts that followed. I'm wondering what that picture is below and whether it has any relevance to the Ripper case. It appears to be a courtroom scene.

Andy S.

Debra Hartley
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2004 - 7:15 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,

The book I made the scan from is called "Unsolved Murders" by Kane Friday.

In the section relating to the Stride murder in Dutfield's yard,the author explains that the police believe that "A yard knife" was used by the killer.
Does anybody know what "A YARD KNIFE" is?

At the bottom is a scan of the cover of the book.

Debra Hartley.

Brittney
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello im doing a report for school on JTR and im having trouble finding pics of the victims. i have to do a power piont presintation and im told we need as many pics as possible. But i cant find any good ones, does anybody have some advice? Thanks

Monty
Chief Inspector
Username: Monty

Post Number: 794
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Brittney,

Ooops I did it again....sorry, bet you get that all the time.

Pictures of the victims. Problem.

There is a picture of Annie Chapman taken whilst she was still alive.

The others are whilst they are dead. Tabram, Nichols, Chapmans, Strides and Coles mortuary photos are respectful enough to be used on a power point.

Kelly and Eddowes I feel wouldnt be acceptable.

It all depends on if you are allowed to project these images.

Check out the Victims...

...click on this...http://casebook.org/witnesses/

It may give you an idea on what Im talking about.

Monty
:-)

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.