Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Archive through March 16, 2005 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Victims » Elizabeth Stride » Stride's was not a ripper victim. ! » Archive through March 16, 2005 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Harry Mann
Sergeant
Username: Harry

Post Number: 45
Posted on Monday, March 14, 2005 - 5:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Glen,
No I do not twist facts to suit my point of view.My information is from the interview between a reporter and Schwartz,and published in the Star newspaper.It is there for all to see.
Your account is what Swanson states was given in a police interview with Schwartz,a report which is missing.Therefor it would be folly to quote from something of which we do not have access to.Suddenly you want to believe in the police implicitly,while a post of yours a feww days ago states this is something one shouldn't do.You do appear to be inconsistent.
Now to the activity on Berner st in the period just prior to the murder.
William Packer states he put up the shutters on his shop at 12.30,and there after had heard or seen nothing suspicious.The other three occupants of the house said the same thing.They were interviewed by Sergeant Stephen White.Packer was also interviewed by Sir Charles Warren about the grapes he sold.This occured at about 11.45,well before the incident witnessed by Schwartz.
Joseph Lave said he left the club for about 5 minutes.This was 15 to 20 minutes before news of the murder was known in the club.He reports the yard as being so dark he had to grope along the wall.He reported nothing suspicious.
Charles Letcford states he walked along Berner st at about 12.30,and things were normal.He also states his sister stood outside for 10 minutes from 12.50.Had she done so she must have witnessed somethin.This woman is believed to be Mrs Mortimer,who saw only one person pass along.
Now where are all these other persons that were supposed to be on Berner st around the time of the murder.Where is any reference to them.There only appear to be two persons who fit into the timeframe,and as neither of these two witnessed appear to have seen anything of what Schwartz reports,then it is apparent they must have misttook the time.
Glen,cross my heart,I am not making this up or distorting what has been reported.
Frank,
Only Joseph Lave appears to have been in the yard a short time before the incident took place.
While it is true there were members in the club,it is equally true there were people in close proximity at the other murder sites.Berner St doesn't differ in any great way from other parts of Whitechapel,and I fail to see that Dutfield yard,dark as it was,was more dangerous to the ripper than 29 Hanbury St,where dawn was not far off.
David Cartwright was correct when he wrote the Schwartz incident was the biggest red herring in the case.Together with Anderson's knowing who the ripper was,and the name of the man that could identify him,it,s no wonder the case can't progress.It's time to look for alternatives to the Jewish perspective.

Glenn G. Lauritz Andersson
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Glenna

Post Number: 3283
Posted on Monday, March 14, 2005 - 6:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Harry,

I must say you surprise me.
You actually mean that you put larger faith in a newspaper article, than in Swanson's police report??????

True, the police file is a summary written by Swanson, but there is no real reason to assume that it contains so many errors -- it is detailed enough to be rather clear on these matters.
Very few details in the Star interview actually corresponds with the article, and if you look closely you will see that the paper interview contains a lot more drama presumably created to sell more copies. It is common knowledge for every researcher that very little credibility can be put in newspaper articles as sources of information, and how anyone can actually put more credence in those before actual police material goes beyond me.

All the best
G. Andersson, author/crime historian
Sweden

The Swedes are the men That Will not be Blamed for Nothing

Caroline Anne Morris
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Caz

Post Number: 1550
Posted on Monday, March 14, 2005 - 6:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi All,

Hi Glenn,

I find the view that the Ripper would find the circumstances at Berner Street and Dutfield's Yard inviting enough in order to kill and mutilate as a rather problematic one.

As you know, I don’t find this relevant, since there is no evidence that Jack ever intended to carry out his trade mark mutilations in that location. And that doesn’t mean he couldn’t have walked past Dutfield’s Yard when a prostitute, to wit: Liz Stride, was there.

…they right from the start considered the murder of Liz Stride as a part of a series and really didn't even bother to check other possibilities, like a domestic link (which would be the first natural step to take).

You don’t know this is true, you are just guessing. To add to Robert’s examples, there was a news report following Mary Kelly’s murder that suggested there were doubts about her being part of the series, despite the fact that she was mutilated and had organs removed. So it makes little sense to me that they would not even have paused for breath before concluding Liz was killed by Jack.

Hi Frank,

A street that was not particularly known for prostitution.

I simply wonder if Berner Street was as inviting to the Ripper as the other crimes scenes and surroundings – it not being a place particularly known for prostitution either.

Again, the point is that Liz, a prostitute, was there. If a young single bloke plans to go to a club in town on a Saturday night to chat up the girls and strut his stuff with them, but happens to see a fit babe some distance from clubland waiting at a bus stop in a reasonably busy area, is he going to say to himself, “Well, this isn’t the right place so I can’t chat this one up here”? No, he’s going to try his luck and ask her if she fancies going to a club with him. If she declines for any reason, he may try to kiss her or give her his phone number, but he was never going to have a slow dance with her there, was he?

Likewise, Berner Street was not out of bounds to Jack (he wasn’t permanently to be found amongst prospective victims), and he may not have anticipated seeing a prostitute there. But if he happened along that night, he would have found one: Liz. What would he have said to himself? “The historians aren’t going to believe this - old Jacky Boy encountering a whore in such an unlikely and uninviting place. I’m off to look in one of their more usual haunts to make my actions more credible”? No, he’d say, “I expect she’ll be as willing as the other two, but I don’t fancy my chances here, so I’ll get her to take me somewhere we won’t be disturbed”.

I don’t find the ‘hanging around’ or ‘retreating’ bit very feasible from the viewpoint that he was looking for a victim to mutilate and that, with this purpose in mind, he didn’t like the look and feel of Dutfield’s Yard.

I see you take no account of emotion here, Frank. If Jack was BS and killed Liz, we know he failed, for whatever reason, to mutilate her; and we know that within about 45 minutes he had found a ‘willing’ victim and, reaching fever pitch, was successfully mutilating the hell out of her. Imagine how he would have been feeling if he found Liz unwilling to budge from Dutfield’s Yard and the security of the Jewish men’s club in full swing, while Schwartz and Pipeman were providing yet more living proof that this was no place to indulge himself to the full.

Couldn’t it have happened like this: after turning BS down, Liz retreats into the yard, maybe going into a lav at the back to wait until her unwanted ‘admirer’ has pushed off to bother someone else. But Liz has put BS’s nose well and truly out of joint by her lack of co-operation and he’s steaming. He knows she’s in there, so instead of pushing off he goes into the yard and waits for her in the darkness. When she emerges to only silence and blackness, with her cachous in hand, she assumes the coast is clear, starts walking back towards the street and whack! Jack’s back with the proverbial vengeance.

Hi Jane,

I was trying in my inept way to say that I agree that Jack was probably led by his victims to their place of death, ergo I thought that you were saying that if Liz's killer was JtR then she led him to Dutfield's Yard under the same criteria.

I hope I’ve now made it crystal clear that I was actually suggesting that Liz simply didn’t live up to Jack’s expectations - same Jack, he just tried his luck with the wrong victim this time, one who wanted to stay put in the wrong place.

I think it is safe to say that those in more in favour of it being a domestic have put forward a great deal of circumstantial and even solid evidence which might suggest that the accepted inclusion of Liz as a vicim of JtR should at least be re-examined.

While I have seen lots of arguments for Liz’s murder not being one of Jack’s, on the basis that it wasn’t a ‘typical’ ripper crime (when compared with the three mutilation murders we most associate with Jack) - and of course it wasn’t - I have yet to see any good circumstantial evidence IMHO, and nothing that I would call solid evidence, that actually points to a better suspect than Jack for having taken a knife to Liz's throat.

I’m always on the lookout for new and improved arguments though.

Hi AP,

My thinking sort of goes along the lines of what would we see today if such a series of crimes took place in modern London and we had the benefit of looking down from the sky via a modern observation satellite?
In all the other crimes… nothing.
In the murder of Liz Stride?
An episode of East Enders.

I keep pointing to the double event in Croydon in 2003 as a perfect example which had the benefit of CCTV - one man whose first assault that night was your episode of East Enders, and whose other similar and non-similar crimes (including a second attack on the same night which was fatal) were, as you say… nothing.

Love,

Caz
X

Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3284
Posted on Monday, March 14, 2005 - 7:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Caz,

"As you know, I don’t find this relevant, since there is no evidence that Jack ever intended to carry out his trade mark mutilations in that location."

That is an argument that doesn't make sense to me. Regardless of location, I think we can safely say that Jack's main intention was to mutilate, not just to kill or slit throats. Mutilations are a redundant act if you only need to kill someone, so it is apparent, that the mutilations meant something in particular to him and gave him the gratification he craved for. There would be no point in doing them otherwise. I can't see why he should kill Stride and cut her throat without having an intention to mutilate her. It doesn't make sense.

"You don’t know this is true, you are just guessing. To add to Robert’s examples, there was a news report following Mary Kelly’s murder that suggested there were doubts about her being part of the series, despite the fact that she was mutilated and had organs removed. So it makes little sense to me that they would not even have paused for breath before concluding Liz was killed by Jack."

That is true, but fact remains that it is rather apparent from the police documentation that Stride is never questioned as a Ripper victim and that they never in that murder looked at any alternative solutions.
In contrast to those early interpretations of the Kelly murder (which I actually believe could have been correct), we have no indications whatsoever saying that Stride could have been a victim of a murder with domestic motives or an ordinary client. And I believe they made a fatal mistake here.

All the best
Sweden

Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3285
Posted on Monday, March 14, 2005 - 7:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Caz,

"Couldn’t it have happened like this: after turning BS down, Liz retreats into the yard, maybe going into a lav at the back to wait until her unwanted ‘admirer’ has pushed off to bother someone else. But Liz has put BS’s nose well and truly out of joint by her lack of co-operation and he’s steaming. He knows she’s in there, so instead of pushing off he goes into the yard and waits for her in the darkness. When she emerges to only silence and blackness, with her cachous in hand, she assumes the coast is clear, starts walking back towards the street and whack!"

Absolutely!
That is pretty much something similar to the scenario I had in mind.

Apart from the fact that I don't see any indications at all on that the perpetrator must have been Jack.

All the best
Sweden

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Severn

Post Number: 1679
Posted on Monday, March 14, 2005 - 7:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wow!What a post!
Feel the need to congratulate you here Caz.
Quite a tour de force this covering such a range of credible possibilities and ideas.And all very pertinent too.
I think you may need to be nominated for one of AP"s Ripperology prizes for creative insight
and skilful craftmanship!
Natalie
x

Phil Hill
Inspector
Username: Phil

Post Number: 180
Posted on Monday, March 14, 2005 - 8:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Harry, you wrote:

...Joseph Lave said he left the club for about 5 minutes.This was 15 to 20 minutes before news of the murder was known in the club.He reports the yard as being so dark he had to grope along the wall.

I would suggest that Lave found the Yard particulrly dark since he had just emerged from a comparatively well-lit interior. His eyes would not have adjusted to the darkness.

My view is that, as I have said before, a supine body at ground level would have been relatively invisible. However, a couple standing up and moving (fighting, struggling or copulating) would have caught the light and attention.

Alternatively, someone like Lave would literally have bumped into them.

This was not like Mitre Square where there was a dark corner to hide in. Had Liz been found deep in the Yard, I might be more convinced by the parallels to other widely accepted JtR murders, but she was not. There is no evidence that she ever left the area close to the street.

If one gate had been closed and she had been found behind that - invisible from the street and probably in darkness within the Yard - I might be persuaded, but she was not.

Look at Jane's remarkable reconstruction of the yard and its layout and I think you'll see what I mean.

Phil

Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3286
Posted on Monday, March 14, 2005 - 8:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I agree, Phil. Totally.

All the best
Sweden

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1680
Posted on Monday, March 14, 2005 - 9:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Don,
I dont have any particular issues with the police.
All I am interested in here is whether their later accounts of what happened are reliable.
I see your point although I am now wary to quote Walter Dew for the reasons given.

Phil
Again I accept that Machnaghten may have acted in good faith revealing that he thought it was most probably Druitt who was JtR.
However when he starts talking about destroying all the evidence and being told secrets that he has sworn never to reveal to anyone I cant help but think it may all be bluff.

Natalie

Phil Hill
Inspector

Post Number: 181
Posted on Monday, March 14, 2005 - 12:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Natalie

I can appreciate cynicism, but how do you differentiate between bluff and the actions of an honest man in this case.

A gentleman in late C19th would, I believe destroy private papers and anything entrusted to him which he had undertaken should remain confidential. One reason that Anderson did not change his mind to reflect Macnaghten (and don't forget Macnaghten's memo incorporates Anderson's suspect) may have been because the latter never confided in him.

But I agree, Macnaghten may have been protecting either the police/Cutbush family; or alternatively a political Fenian connection by creating a smokescreen.

But a close study of his drafts and the way they were refined persuades me that the memo probably does represent his honest view - I can go into more detail if you wish. I think that Macnaghten may have been the most upright, honest man in the whole saga, with admirable integrity.

But feel free to try to prove me wrong.

Phil

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Apwolf

Post Number: 1850
Posted on Monday, March 14, 2005 - 4:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes Caz, good post and a very good point.
Just like you I have had to rely on more modern cases to gain further insight into the crimes of Jack, and just like you I have found those modern insights very useful in discussion.
However, as the map unfolds we do now have access to previously unknown material from the LVP and I feel that is where we should be sticking our noses.
For my part I spend my entire time in the LVP now, and one learns quick down there.
Last night I was spellbound by a case I found, at 55 Flower & Dean Street, where this chap had murdered his part-time prostitute because she was seeing other chaps, and I thought: ‘well, it was Flower & Dean Street, she was a part-time prostitute, she was seeing someone else seriously and he did murder her.’
So you see, this sort of thing went on all the time.
Jack was an exception wasn’t he?
Otherwise we wouldn’t be writing these notes to one another.
Liz Stride was not an exception. She was the norm.
But good point and well made.
Just like you I’m not convinced by anything.
Apart from history that is.

Frank van Oploo
Chief Inspector
Username: Franko

Post Number: 540
Posted on Monday, March 14, 2005 - 5:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Caz,

“If a young single bloke plans to go to a club in town on a Saturday night to chat up the girls and strut his stuff with them, but happens to see a fit babe some distance from clubland waiting at a bus stop in a reasonably busy area, …”

Likewise, Berner Street was not out of bounds to Jack (he wasn’t permanently to be found amongst prospective victims), and he may not have anticipated seeing a prostitute there.”

I see what you mean, Caz. Good points. I must admit that haven’t been able to ‘see’ those possibilities, so thanks for that. Well and creatively written too, although there was no need TO RUB IT IN LIKE YOU DID, now was there?

“If Jack was BS and killed Liz, we know he failed, for whatever reason, to mutilate her; and we know that within about 45 minutes he had found a ‘willing’ victim and, reaching fever pitch, was successfully mutilating the hell out of her. Imagine how he would have been feeling if he found Liz unwilling to budge from Dutfield’s Yard and the security of the Jewish men’s club in full swing, while Schwartz and Pipeman were providing yet more living proof that this was no place to indulge himself to the full."

Aha, this I can counter (I think)! Because why would Jack/Mr BS have retreated if he were already so flaming mad at Stride when he was doing what Schwartz saw him doing? Why didn’t he just kill her right then and a bit down the passage?

“ Couldn’t it have happened like this: after turning BS down, Liz retreats into the yard, maybe going into a lav at the back to wait until her unwanted ‘admirer’ has pushed off to bother someone else. Etc.”

Now, there’s a good scenario! Although the same might be pondered over with this scenario as with the other one, i.e. if he was so pissed off at her, why loiter around, see what she does, decide to hide and wait instead of kill her right away? But although it makes me wonder, it doesn't mean that it couldn't have happened. Hmmm…

All my best,
Frank
"Every disadvantage has its advantage."
Johan Cruijff

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1683
Posted on Monday, March 14, 2005 - 6:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well as far as I"m concerned the fact that he went to Eton rather put me off.
Never was there an establishment that has better "mis-educated" young Hoorah Henry"s about their "superiority" over the rest of us than Eton College.
IMHO[ofcourse]
Natalie

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1684
Posted on Monday, March 14, 2005 - 6:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry Phil,the above post should have been addressed to you!
Natalie

Phil Hill
Inspector

Post Number: 186
Posted on Tuesday, March 15, 2005 - 2:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You really shouldn't allow that "chip on your shoulder", your social inferiority or your lack of education get in the way of a good class jibe, now should you Natalie.

Carrying current prejudices into the past doesn't make for good history, frankly.

Phil (singing the Eton Boating Song smugly).

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1686
Posted on Tuesday, March 15, 2005 - 4:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh Phil!What age do you live in?
I wasnt educated to think others were my betters by right of a silver spoon or the jangle of money in their pockets.
And todays equal opportunities policies thankfully go some way to ensure pupils are educated to see themselves as being of equal value.
But ofcourse there are still those who sabotage
such progress!
Best Wishes
Natalie

Harry Mann
Sergeant

Post Number: 46
Posted on Tuesday, March 15, 2005 - 4:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Glen,
I would not reject what the papers of that time printed,because it is the only source for a lot of the information pertaining to the Ripper Case.
The fact that it took ten days before the reporter qestioned Schwartz,was not the papers fault.There was no word from the police as to his involvement.
I see no great difference in what Schwartz said.Only that the police account has her twisted to the ground,while the paper reports she was pushed back.
As B.D.is said to have been only 5ft 5ins tall,he was facing a taller person.There is still only the hand on the shoulder,so in the circumstances,it would be difficult to force someone to the ground with only one hand placed on a shoulder and not clenched.Any downward pressure would have been minimal.
Phil,
During the period between 12.30A.M and the fist contact between Stride and B.D.only about half a dozen people can be placed on Berner st,and only two of those,Eagles and Lave,in the yard.So much for the many persons that posters talk about.
None of them report any untoward activity.Lave and Eagles mention the extreme darkness of the yard,and your point about the need for time to adjust to this condition,is what I said to be in the killer's favour.There would have been just about sufficient time,after the initial meeting of Stride and B.D,for the conditions to have changed,Stride lured into the yard,the killers eyesight adjusted to conditions there,and Stride killed, before Diemschutz's arrival.
I believe Stride's killing to be the classic of the Ripper series.

Caroline Anne Morris
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1553
Posted on Tuesday, March 15, 2005 - 5:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Glenn,

Yes, of course I agree that Jack's main intention was to mutilate, not just to kill or slit throats.

But my argument is that Jack wouldn't necessarily have encountered all his prospective victims in a suitable location for carrying out his trademark mutilations. If he encountered Liz on Berner Street and assumed she was just another 'willing whore' who could be persuaded to take him somewhere else where he would feel safe to mutilate, he was disappointed. I can see why rage and frustration at such a setback to his mutilation plans might have made him cut Liz's throat ripper-style and run off quickly before any more witnesses could cause him grief.

...I don't see any indications at all on that the perpetrator must have been Jack.

I wouldn't say it must have been Jack, but don't you think it could have been?

Hi Frank,

Aha, this I can counter (I think)! Because why would Jack/Mr BS have retreated if he were already so flaming mad at Stride when he was doing what Schwartz saw him doing? Why didn’t he just kill her right then and a bit down the passage?

Well, I think even a flaming mad Jack/Mr BS would have had the sense to wait until Schwartz and Pipeman had scarpered before going in for the kill. But a scorned lover, or disgruntled client, in a sudden fit of pique, might have been less cautious than Jack with regard to potential witnesses. We still have those cachous to explain though.

So I now wonder if it was Liz who retreated further into the yard, hoping that BS would take the hint and make himself scarce. She waits a while, freshening herself up and dusting herself down, and assumes from the silence that he has given up on her and gone to make trouble elsewhere, while he is in fact just waiting for the safest moment to strike, furious that she wouldn't co-operate with him. Someone, at that moment, wanted Liz dead and made sure of it. Why couldn't that someone have been Jack?

Liz was a prostitute, hanging about in a location not particularly known for prostitution. But a fish out of water is still a fish - and Jack had his tackle ready that night.

Love,

Caz
X

(Message edited by caz on March 15, 2005)

Phil Hill
Inspector

Post Number: 188
Posted on Tuesday, March 15, 2005 - 6:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Natalie, I couldn't have had my tongue more firmly in my cheek, as I hope my last words made clear.

Nevertheless, we should not libel Melville Macnaghten on the basis of personal prejudice, otherwise I'll be forced to characterise the working class personae of the case as inherently incapable of telling the truth, or of honesty or faithfulness. Which might be a pardonable assumption (based on 1880s attitudes), but would also be a generalisation and completely wrong.

Macnaghten had integrity, I think - and I'll go a long way to defend that.

Phil

Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3288
Posted on Tuesday, March 15, 2005 - 7:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Caz,

But my argument is that Jack wouldn't necessarily have encountered all his prospective victims in a suitable location for carrying out his trademark mutilations. If he encountered Liz on Berner Street and assumed she was just another 'willing whore' who could be persuaded to take him somewhere else where he would feel safe to mutilate, he was disappointed. I can see why rage and frustration at such a setback to his mutilation plans might have made him cut Liz's throat ripper-style and run off quickly before any more witnesses could cause him grief.

No, I don't agree with this at all. Sorry.
We can't know this with certainty, of course, but in such a situation I feel the Ripper would just simply have aborted the whole thing instead. There would be no point in killing her, really. I don't think the Ripper was someone who killed people just because he was angry or disappointed. Killers like him kill mainly for one reason only: namely to be able to perform the mutilations. Killing in itself has generally no emotional value to them whatsoever. But that is only my personal interpretation.

"I wouldn't say it must have been Jack, but don't you think it could have been?"

No, not really, actually -- and especially not in the context of that particular scenario.

The Ripper's method was to attack his victims fast before they knew what hit them. I can't see him going back for the same victim after he had been disturbed and seen while doing a first attack. The other murders (at least Nichols and Eddowes) tells us a great deal of how he worked, and this doesen't fit. Your scenario fits perfectly someone she knew or an abusive/drunk client, though.

All the best
Sweden

Phil Hill
Inspector

Post Number: 189
Posted on Tuesday, March 15, 2005 - 11:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Glenn, when you write:

...in such a situation I feel the Ripper would just simply have aborted the whole thing instead. There would be no point in killing her, really. I don't think the Ripper was someone who killed people just because he was angry or disappointed...

I feel you are right.

The assumption, when the "double event" was more widely accepted, was that as he was disturbed when murdering Stride, he went away and found Eddowes. This suggests a previous acceptance by many of us of sufficient detachment on Jack's part to allow him to walk away even in mid-murder.

I am with you, that Jack made a clear decision in each case about who, when and where to strike. That is why I increasingly see entering the backyard in Hanbury St as a key moment.

Phil

Robert W. House
Inspector
Username: Robhouse

Post Number: 207
Posted on Tuesday, March 15, 2005 - 12:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Glenn,

Your lack of open-mindedness on this issue is really mind-boggling. In response to "I wouldn't say it must have been Jack, but don't you think it could have been?" you say, in your typically caddy fashion: "No, not really, actually" This is really absurd. Your interpretation of the persoanlity or motivation of serial killers (as indicated by this type of comment: "Killing in itself has generally no emotional value to them whatsoever.") is remarkably limiting and idealized. I mean where do you get this from? There is an enormous amount of variation in both the method, motivation, and psyche of serial killers, and their emotional response to killing also. Also, they are fallible and imperfect, as has been pointed out on many occasions, which both you and Phil can't seem to grasp.

In addition, you are basing your "conclusions" on a remarkably small data pool. Your own interpretation is that there are only 3 canonical JTR murders. OK, lets assume there was only 1 murder, and the victim was mutilated. Would it then be valid to say "The killer ALWAYS mutilates his victims"? Of course not. How about after 2 murders, would it then be valid to make this deduction? No. How about after 5? Still, no. If I didn't know better, I would guess that you had not read much about other serial murder cases, because there is generally an enormous amount of variation between murder incidents committed by the same killer. I really think you have very stubbornly created an image of this killer in your head, and you do not have an open mind to other possibilities regarding his personality type or how JtR "would respond" given certain scenarios. And you have invented this mythological persona based on VERY little data. You cannot make accurate predictions based on a small data set, which is itself based on a small number of variations in scenario. I mean can we truly say:

1. JTR never attacked south of Whitechapel Road
2. JTR never attacked before such-and-such an hour.
3. JTR ALWAYS mutilates his victims.
4. JTR was ALWAYS cautious to not be seen.

I don't think there is any was to deduce such conclusions based on such a small amount of information, and with basically zero understanding of JTR's psyche and thought processes.

Rob H

Phil Hill
Inspector

Post Number: 190
Posted on Tuesday, March 15, 2005 - 12:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I must say Robert, that I think you are being unduly hard on Glenn. I regard him as being very open-minded by comparison to many here and one of the most lucid andsensible posters on the site.

I see (on re-reading your rant) that I am included among your criticisms.

Frankly, I don't require you to tell me my failings, but neither do I accept the bilge that you seek to push down our throats as some sort of rationale alternative. Your views are simply one more alternative theory - it just happens that you don't recognise that and seek to peddle it as dogma apparently - though why anyone would buy it is beyond me.

I don't think Glenn or I have ever suggested that our views are infalliable - we are more mature than that.

So think again Robert.

Robert W. House
Inspector

Post Number: 208
Posted on Tuesday, March 15, 2005 - 1:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Phil,
I don't think either you or Glenn are any more mature than anyone else on these boards, but its nice that you keep making that case whenever anyone disagrees with you. Regarding my "dogma" that you refer to (def: statement of ideas or opinion, especially one considered to be absolutely true)... it's funny that you use that word, because as Glenn will perhaps at least concede, I have always stated that there are any number of interpretations of the Stride event. I do not generally exclude any of them, although I believe that she was a JtR victim. If I am not mistaken, it is Glenn who is being dogmatic about this, as he refuses to give ANY credence to the vague possibility that Stride may have been a JTR victim. This gets frustrating to those of us who disagree with this opinion, especially as Glenn just keeps restating the same opinion over and over again, and then you anf he just sit there agreeing with each other and saying "Great Post" etc. etc. Yeah it is frustrating. I agreed with extendedping's earlier posts on this board, which I thought were well argued and very rational. Although I see you have also deemed him to be too "immature" to have a rational discussion here. So before you decide to become board moderator, I think you should rethink that.

You have anything to say about my specific post, or any of the points I brought up, or do you just want to degenerate into name calling?

RH

Robert W. House
Inspector

Post Number: 209
Posted on Tuesday, March 15, 2005 - 1:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And by the way Phil, I will admit I get frustrated reading this particular thread. So thats why my post comes across like it does, like a tirade. So excuse me. But if Glenn comes out and makes statements like the one I quoted above, which I take as not only absurd and a bit condescending, and if people are afraid to call him on it because they will then have to get blasted by both you and Glenn, who goes on some tirades himself, then I have to say... I am not afraid to call him on it. There is really very little evidence to back up the general theory you and Glenn are pushing... ie. that Stride was a domestic.

Rh

Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3290
Posted on Tuesday, March 15, 2005 - 3:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rob,

Now this is just so typical of you. When people are pushing views you don't agree with, you always get personal -- and to an extreme extent. Now who is immature here?
If you get frustrated that easily, I would advice you not to get involved at all.
Where have I said that my views are the actual truth? I have stated over and over again, that it is nothing but my own personal interpretations. I am expressing my opinions, nothing else. I am not asking you or anyone else to agree with me. I am just stating what I think is credible or not, from where I sit. According to you, a serial mutilator can act practically in every possible way. I clearly disagree with that (and last time I heard, a discussion board in some funny way is supposed to leave room for that), and such an approach would also make any deduction or analysis impossible in the end.

From most of the serial killers we know so far that indulges in these types of mutilations, we know that it is the mutilations that are the main goal and where the gratification lies. Why? Simply because the mutilations as such are redundant and not necessary in order to kill someone. Therefore it is suggestive that a mutilator is not interested in the killing itself, but that he needs something more than that. I wouldn't say that it is fully established (we are after all dealing with individuals here), but several indications and pure logic seems to point in this direction.

The fact that Jack the Ripper seems to have killed his victims quickly and taken them by surprise, indicates in my view that he wanted as little resistance as possible (he was certainly not a sadist), and that the throat cutting as such was not important, but just a way to make sure they were dead before he got on with the important stuff -- the mutilations. Therefore I don't believe Jack the Ripper would kill someone without mutilating, unless he of course was interrupted.
Those are just my personal interpetations (did you read that? I have said that a million times!), but I believe they are supported by some people in the law enforcement and also by FBI. They are certainly not my inventions, and they are hardly controversial or mind-blowing in any way.

And from this, I can only say -- FROM MY POINT OF VIEW -- that the behaviour of Mr Broad Shoulders doesn't fit into this at all.
I know... you don't accept that, but it can't be helped. I still claim my right to hold that opinion.
Now, if others are commenting my posts or are asking me for my opinions, what do you want me to say? That they are right, even though I can't make it add up? To act like a pussycat when people like extendedping are ridiculing and condescending my (and maybe also Phil's) views?

You say that I am pragmatic and that you never have heard me express the possibility that Liz may have been a Ripper victim. That is a blooming lie. I have in several posts said that I am not sure. But I am trying to explore an alternative possibility here and I have no idea where that may take me. Maybe it will turn out to be crap in the end, who knows?
I have said earlier that I give Liz Stride 40% chance of being a Ripper victim, and that still stands. However, considering we in Stride's case for once have a credible suspect, known for abusive behaviour, plus the fact that she wasn't mutilated, I think it is worth the effort to explore the possibility of a motive with domestic content. After all, most murders are of domestic nature. Of course we can play it safe and say that she wasn't mutilated because the killer either was interrupted or dissatisfied with the situation for some strange and unfounded reason. Pardon me, but I don't buy that so easily.

Let me state for the record, that I once started out here as a true believer of Liz being a Ripper victim, and a faithful supporter of the Diemschutz-interruption theory, but i have changed my mind and am now exploring other possibilities and theories -- theories that are NOT my inventions. When was the last time you changed your mind about anything? Like... never?

It is true indeed, there is very little evidence that the murder of Liz Stride was domestic, but then again there are also very little evidence on that she was killed by Jack the Ripper. Facts actually points in both directions; it just that I am inclined to believe one more than the other, for the time being.
But please, Rob, be my guest -- you can stand there, with 30 year old theories up to the waist and get abusive to anyone who tries to interpret the facts in other directions than the traditional ones. Please continue to do that; I believe in democracy so you are free to express that. But I believe I am allowed to express mine without you ranting and getting personal. You have some strange idea about acting moderator and at the same time being abusive to those who disagrees with you -- and you've clearly had issues with me right from the start. People are of course allowed to agree with me, but not in the manner you or extendedping are displaying.
Sweden

Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3291
Posted on Tuesday, March 15, 2005 - 3:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Phil,

I know the above posts also concern your views and not just mine, but I want to to thank you for the grand support nevertheless. Much appreciated.

All the best
Sweden

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1688
Posted on Tuesday, March 15, 2005 - 3:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes Robert-couldnt agree more actually!
Is it really necessary to use such pejorative language
as "bilge" or "dogma" or "rant" Phil?
I happened to find Robert"s post expressed sentiments that I too have begun to feel these past few months, particularly with regard to Glenn"s attitude of late and who seems to be less and less flexible and tolerant in his arguements.Its not that I dont appreciate Glenn"s posts or arguements -and often agree with them
but rather that they are more and more frequently presented with such absolute certainty and often with an obstinate refusal to consider another"s point of view -[let alone the merits of another"s point of view].This together with "rating" other peoples posts [ as though we were all at school and needed such " performance ratings"]makes it seem as though Glenn thinks himself the only one fit to pass judgment on casebook issues - no matter what the subject.
I thought your post clear, direct and apt Robert.
Natalie

Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3292
Posted on Tuesday, March 15, 2005 - 3:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Natalie,

How many times do I have to write "in my view", "we can't know this", in my personal interpretation" etc.?
And what do you mean "performance rating"? I have no idea what you're talking about.

All the best
Sweden

Robert W. House
Inspector

Post Number: 210
Posted on Tuesday, March 15, 2005 - 3:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Glenn,
First let me say that there is nothing so much more mature about the way you express your opinions to the way I or extendedping do. In case you are not aware of it, your posts, and Phils, often come across as condescending also. Extendedping posted some very rational stuff on here which I thought was very valid, having to do with people creating the image of a phantasm-like super killer, and also the idea that if one over-analyzes a scenario like this, you can "prove" anything. These were both very valid arguments, to which you and Phil took some offence. I saw no reason to call him immature, especially after re-reading his last post. This is overreaction, but of course this was Phil who said it not you.

As far as your having an opinion, fine, yes you have said this a million times. In your opinion there is no chance in hell that BS is JTR, correct? You said as much above.. that was the original statement that I posted in reference to, and we have been over it before. It is not the fact that you have a personal opinion that irks me, it is that your opinion is so closed minded that you can rule out Mr. BS 100%, based ENTIRELY on your own personal idea about what JTR was like. In other words this is you, profiling JTR. I have provided specific criticisms of why this is invalid, which you never really responded to except to say "Well it's my opinion, my opinion", etc. Yeah, so what. It is based on invalid reasoning.

"Of course we can play it safe and say that she wasn't mutilated because the killer either was interrupted or dissatisfied with the situation for some strange and unfounded reason."

Here is another classic statement. How is this playing it safe, and what exactly does that even mean. It is simply the most simple and logical explanation of events. How is that playing it safe? How does that qualify as either "strange" or "unfounded reason". There is way more evidence to suggest that Stride was a JTR victim than otherwise. You make so many unsupported claims in your posts, it is difficult to know where to begin. Glenn, I am sure you know I do not post on these boards very often anymore, especially in these circular discussions that seem to go nowhere. It is just that I can't help it when I see a thread like this that is so divorced from reality. For example, you say "After all, most murders are of domestic nature." How is that relevant at all to anything. Why don't we just assume that all the JTR murders were domestic murders? This is just fuzzy logic. This is like showing up to a murder site in which the victim was stabbed, and saying "Well most murders are committed with a gun", and thus concluding that the victim was shot! In other words, it is irrelevant. That is not logic.

God, this thread is so ridiculous. I am going to try not to post here anymore. I wish I had never posted at all today. I am sure that after I leave you guys will just go ahead and convince yourselves that Stride was not a Ripper victim and Kelly too. Well ok. Whatever. I give up. If you want to reply to my specific critique about why your logic does not make sense, that I posted in the thread at 12:33 pm, go ahead, and I will be happy to discuss it with you. Otherwise, just call me an ass, or immature or whatever, and we'll just leave it at that.

RH

Robert W. House
Inspector

Post Number: 211
Posted on Tuesday, March 15, 2005 - 4:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Glenn,
This is a perfect example of you "not getting it", which I just referred to:

"How many times do I have to write "in my view", "we can't know this", in my personal interpretation" etc.?"

Let me give you a case example to mull over. How about if I said something like:

"Hey Glenn, IN MY OPINION, your views are completely idiotic and have no validity at all".

NOW do you get it?

RH

Frank van Oploo
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 541
Posted on Tuesday, March 15, 2005 - 4:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Caz,

“Well, I think even a flaming mad Jack/Mr BS would have had the sense to wait until Schwartz and Pipeman had scarpered before going in for the kill.”

Whoever he was, he seems to have scared off his audience - for whatever reason. But I’m quite sure it wouldn’t have been for that slow dance.

Schwartz’ account may be interpreted as follows: Kidney walks over to Stride and says something to her. As he doesn’t like her answer he grabs her and tries to pull her towards him and then pushes her backwards, causing her to fall. She screams, but not very loudly, as she doesn’t want to create a further scene by enraging him even more than he already is. As he notices there are one or two men around he tries to tell them to mind their own business by yelling at them, after which they both flee. (Schwartz’ account ends here of course)

Stride is somehow able to calm him down after that and persuades him to talk it over in the yard, where she thinks there’s much less chance of a scene being noticed. They only walk down the yard some 9 feet. She’s standing with her back against the wall while he’s facing her. So they talk and he slowly realises that Stride is serious about not coming back this time.

When she thinks he’s finally got it, she makes a move to walk away, but in one final attempt he doesn’t let her. He pushes her back against the wall, especially her right shoulder, as she’s turning towards the gateway. She resists at first, but then tells him to let her go. He drops his arms at his sides, defeated. She turns towards Berner Street, feeling good about herself. She takes out the cachous, because she’s earned one. But he’s suddenly overcome with fierce anger once more and he’s not going to let her leave.

In a fit of pique he grabs her by the scarf from behind and pulls her backwards while he takes a knife out of his pocket with his right. As the attack is so sudden and quick, she doesn’t drop the cachous, but instead grips them more tightly. She falls back while turning to her left with her head just below his left chest, remaining on her feet for a split second. In that split second he cuts her throat and steps back, trying to avoid getting blood on him. She grabs at her throat, getting blood on the palm and back, and falls on her left side with her legs drawn up, her bonnet falling a few inches from her head. He quickly leaves.

This is what I find a feasible alternative scenario, but there’ll surely be people who see problems with it. I find Stride’s case an extremely complicated one, as there’s not much solid to work with. Much depends on what type of killer the Ripper was. Was he triggered to kill by some specific thing his victims said, did or didn’t do (meaning that he was a ‘spontaneous’ killer)? Was it drugs, or drink that induced him to kill? Was he someone who went out on certain nights with murder and mutilation on his mind? Or did he even plan his murders and left his victims’ bodies purposely on display for everyone to see?

“Someone, at that moment, wanted Liz dead and made sure of it. Why couldn't that someone have been Jack?”

Practically, he could have. There’s nothing tangible or solid that precludes that. But I guess we’re all influenced by what we hear, see and read about certain other cases. Like AP may be influenced by the contemporary domestic murders, like Glenn (in connection with MJK) is influenced by cases like that of Buck Ruxton and like you may be influenced by the double event in Croydon in 2003, I am influenced by the case of Samantha Bisset, who was mutilated by Robert Clive Napper, who’s now being suspected of another murder that bears similarities to Tabram’s.

I think the Ripper may have been much like Napper and if true (something we’ll probably never find out), I cautiously doubt whether Jack would have acted like Mr BS. But of course, that’s only based on what I know about Napper and the other few mutilating killers I know of. So, that really may not say much.

All the best,
Frank
Johan Cruijff

Phil Hill
Inspector

Post Number: 191
Posted on Tuesday, March 15, 2005 - 4:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In the past few days, I have been called condescending, others have said that my "Back to Basics" threads are a waste of space; and I was accused of being politically incorrect.

All perceptions, of course, which come from those who want the casebook to represent challenging new ideas, promote discussion, welcome newcomers and seek historical truth.

If I was condescending, would I start threads aimed at promoting discussion of the case from scratch, and also (I ask you to check) without peddling or promoting any particular view of my own.

I would point out, Robert, that in discussing the Stride case I have simply consistently challenged the conventional wisdom. Whether you agree or not is up to you, I neither know nor care. Perhaps discussion or debate for you is about winning - for me, it is about learning. One days perhaps you'll understand that distinction.

Phil

P.S. I begin seriously to wonder whether it is worth sticking around this site much longer.

In comparison to the daily post-rate, the percentage of insults is VERY high. Quite honestly, I have better things to do.

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 4241
Posted on Tuesday, March 15, 2005 - 4:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Definitely worth sticking around, Phil. I have seen it suggested that the posts are timid and innocuous compared with those on the old Boards!

I've been here two years and only had trouble with a couple of people.

Robert

Robert W. House
Inspector

Post Number: 212
Posted on Tuesday, March 15, 2005 - 4:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Phil Glenn,

OK I apologise. I overreacted. And you guys both have made some excellent posts here. Glenn will tell you that I have blown up at him before for the same exact thing in the past. I am sorry Glenn, but this is a habit of yours that irks me, and I believe it irks others. I have a hard time sitting back not saying anything, while you speak with such certainty about your own opinions and at the same time, with such certainty that other people are wrong. OK, so by now I should just accept that that is your style, and ignore it. But sometimes I cannot.

Phil, I am open to any debate and challenging conventions, etc. And I admit I did not like the way you called extendedping immature, and the way you responded to some other posts. I think you overreacted to Scott's post. But whatever. I overreact also. OK, I apologize everyone. I admit fault. I still think Stride was a JTR victim. Please resume everyone.

RH

Jane Coram
Inspector
Username: Jcoram

Post Number: 349
Posted on Tuesday, March 15, 2005 - 4:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Robert,

Excuse me, polite cough........

Are you saying that anyone that holds the view that it is 60%-40% more likely that Liz's killer was someone other than JtR is supporting views that are - how did you put it -

completely idiotic and have no validity at all".

If so I think you might be quite surprised how many idiots there are on this board, including myself.........

It does seem that 'idiots' is the word of the week, perhaps next weeks word should be
'tolerance'?

Jane

Jane Coram
Inspector
Username: Jcoram

Post Number: 350
Posted on Tuesday, March 15, 2005 - 4:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Robert,

I think we posted at the same time..........so big group hug and let's all be friends ay?

Jane

Hi Phil,

If all the idiots left the board, there would be no-one left.........I'd be first to go............

Lots of love

Jane

Frank van Oploo
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 542
Posted on Tuesday, March 15, 2005 - 4:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Harry,

“Your account is what Swanson states was given in a police interview with Schwartz,a report which is missing.Therefor it would be folly to quote from something of which we do not have access to.”

First of all, I would like to say that most, if not all, of what Swanson wrote in his summary reports corresponds with what we know from other official statements and such. So I don’t think there’s much reason to say it would be folly to quote from his reports.

Furthermore, his report isn’t the only police report that mentions ‘the Schwartz incident’. There are a couple of others and they all use terms like “threw her down”, “pulling about a woman” and “assaulting the woman”. All these reports were probably based on Schwartz’ original statement, which is now lost.

For instance, a report written by Inspector Abberline on 1 November reads: “… and as Schwartz has a strong jewish appearance I am of opinion it (the exclamation “Lipski”) was addressed to him as he stopped to look at the man he saw ill-using the deceased woman.” The report actually covers the whole incident and corresponds with what Swanson wrote about it.

Another thing that might be considered is that the newspapers pursued a very different goal than the police. Their primary goal was to sell papers, while the police were trying to unearth the truth.

All the best,
Frank
Johan Cruijff

Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3293
Posted on Tuesday, March 15, 2005 - 5:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK, Rob,

Well, even if you find my opinions close-minded, I am still allowed to put forward them, mind you. The problem is, that I have several times gone over those points you refer to before.

Yes, I admit, I don't think the behaviour at all fits someone like Jack the Ripper, and I have several times tried to elaborate on why. It is just not a matter of profiling, but also the way I try to make the logic add up in my own head. As for your reference, I agree on that that was rather boldly expressed, but that was quite an early post regarding that particular issue and my thoughts have matured a bit since then. I still hold the same opinion, though, although I today probably would express myself differently.

Fact remains, I fail to see the similarities between how the other victims were attacked and the behaviour displayed by Mr BS, which I see as rather typical of an aggressive and quarrelsome drunkard or unstable person, regardless if we're talking about a client or someone she knew. My basis for this? I wish I could display any real evidence, but unfortunately it is a deduction purely based on hunches and personal logic. Those are, after all, genuine elements in ordinary police investigation work. It just doesn't ring true to me, that's all.
If we didn't know about Kidney and their stormy relationship, and the fact that she had left him prior to this incident, I would probably not consider this to such an extent. But those circumstances can't be disregarded.

You say:
"'After all, most murders are of domestic nature.' How is that relevant at all to anything. Why don't we just assume that all the JTR murders were domestic murders? This is just fuzzy logic."

No, it is not. I think you are misinterpreting me. I am not saying we should immediately accept a domestic solution in every case, but it is common procedure to check a victim's personal relations first hand and when we -- in the context of Stride (who was not mutilated and who appeared to have a stormy relationship with a man she apparently had almost pressed charges against several times) -- find that there are circumstances to explore more closely in this direction, that is what I think should be done. Seen in this light, Stride is certainly not a clear-cut 100% Ripper victim, and disregarding these points and automatically include her in a series of murders is really not great detection work. That most murders are domestic in motive is an established fact, and very few murders are actually performed by serial killers. And what should make us cautious here is just the victim's personal circumstances, where she differ quite a bit from Eddowes and Chapman.
So, I am not saying that we must accept the murder as one of domestic nature, I am saying that the option should be considered and not disregarded just because it appears to happen in a context where it fits together with another murder the same night.

"How is this playing it safe, and what exactly does that even mean. It is simply the most simple and logical explanation of events."

No, it is certainly not more logical than any other explanation but I agree on that it's the simple one. What I meant by "playing it safe" was that it is easier to support a notion that has been ruling since the dawn of Ripperology than challenging it. But I (and I believe also AP Wolf and Phil Hill and some others) don't do it because it's fun, but because I feel there are relevant reasons for it. Just because Stride has been considered a Ripper victim since 1888, doesn't automatically mean that is correct or the only interpretation of things.
If there are other options and leads, they should be investigated. That in itself doesn't disprove that she could have been a Ripper victim; she could very well have been after all. But if she was, I would lean more towards the second attacker theory and not Mr BS.

"There is way more evidence to suggest that Stride was a JTR victim than otherwise."

I would say that is not really a supported claim when you look at the facts. The only things that really ties Stride to Jack the Ripper is the throat cut (which is not as deep) and the "coincidence" with the Eddowes murder. Just because Eddowes was murdered 45 minutes later, doesn't in itself prove that she was murdered by the Ripper. It could just as well have been a coincidence, and I believe it was, although I can't prove it.

I probably didn't answer any of your questions, but at least I tried.

All the best

(Message edited by Glenna on March 15, 2005)
Sweden

Frank van Oploo
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 543
Posted on Tuesday, March 15, 2005 - 5:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmmm, it seems like I'm the only one who's actually doing some serious posting while you're having fun.

OK, I wanna join in the hugging!...
Johan Cruijff

Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3294
Posted on Tuesday, March 15, 2005 - 5:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rob,

OK, apology accepted. As you know, I am not always the smooth one either. But for some reasons we seems to have had issues right from the beginning. Must be some kind of chemistry thing, I guess.

Phil,

You stay put! Please?
No way you should consider to leave. But I can understand what you're saying, truly.

Jane,

Group hug? :-)

OK, as long as it doesn't turn into a stampede.

OK, guys, now I have some work to do, so I'll keep the rest of my idiotic views for now.

All the best

Sweden

Phil Hill
Inspector

Post Number: 193
Posted on Tuesday, March 15, 2005 - 5:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm up for a group hug!!

Phil

Robert W. House
Inspector

Post Number: 213
Posted on Tuesday, March 15, 2005 - 5:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jane,
When I posted that "Hey Glenn, IN MY OPINION, your views are completely idiotic and have no validity at all". I was just saying this to illustrate a point, about how my problem was not with Glenn's stating his opinion, but in the fact that sometimes his way of expressing it can be abrasive. I did not mean it to be taken at face value, and I don't believe that. I think Glenn is a nice guy, and very smart too. That said, we disagree on Stride, always have.

Glenn,
You have before called me an inclusionist, and in my opinion you are an exclusionist, so OK, nuff said. We differ. My main argument here is, how can it be that you are so completely certain that Mr BS was not JTR? Ok, it is a valid possibility to consider that maybe he was not. I am certainly not 100% on it, but I do not exclude the possibility that he may have been. I have said this time and time again. I would probably not have posted at all if you would admit that it is POSSIBLE that Mr. BS was JTR.

For me to accept that this opinion of yours is valid, logical, etc, it has to be backed up with some evidence. You have admitted that this is basically "a deduction purely based on hunches and personal logic". I just do not see how you can have formed such a concrete set-in-stone opinion which is based on little more than your own perception of the type of person JTR was. This is why I posted in my initial post: the date set is too small. If there had been 40 murders it might be different. And if out of those 40, JTR was spotted in a number of them... THEN maybe we could make deductions about the Stride murder.

But there were not 40, there were 5 others if you include Tabram (which I know you do not). So in order to make any deductions about JTR's personality, behavior, MO, etc... we have only THREE case studies (by your reasoning).

I just refuse to see how you can have formed any definitive conclusions about JTR's behavior or methodology in the Stride case based on a meagor 3 case studies.

I will be the first to admit that it is remarkably difficult to interpret the Stride scenario in any way that makes sense. There are so many unknowns. Why is she holding the cachous? It is unknown. If someone had an idea about why she was holding the cachous, and claimed to be 100% certain about it, I would feel inclined to attack that viewpoint also. In my opinion it is: Was Mr. BS JTR? Answer: unknown.

Simple as that. Please take no offense Glenn. I realize I exploded before.

Rob

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1689
Posted on Tuesday, March 15, 2005 - 5:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Folks
.....just so long as Glenn doesnt fix his beady eye on my posts and rate them 1 out of 10!
Natalie
xxx

Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3296
Posted on Tuesday, March 15, 2005 - 6:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rob,

It's true, I am an exclusionist. :-)
Funny enough... RJ Palmer once called ME an inclusionist a couple of years ago, which says a lot about how long and rocky the road has been since I started here. Everything changes.

As for Mr BS, in judging a behaviour of personal characters in a case 117 years ago, I find it extremely difficult to find enough evidence to support any deduction. That is why I have to use my own personal logic and common sense regarding Mr BS. Not evidence. And probably not facts either. It would be different, I suppose, if it was a modern case.

I can only go by what I sense feels right or not, and Mr BS:s behaviour certainly doesn't feel right as the Ripper. I just can't make it work in my head. That's all.
But most importantly, if it hadn't been for the information we have about Kidney and Stride's domestic problems, I probably wouldn't feel so hung up about my interpretation of Mr BS:s behaviour. Mr BS and the Schwartz incident can't be isolated from those circumstances. It must be seen in the context of Stride's background and personal relations, since we know there is a situation to look into. That is what I meant by dismissing it as a pure profiling issue, it is more complicated than that.
If we didn't know this, things may have been different, although it is of course also a possibility that Mr BS could have been an unpleasant drunkard or client.

Natalie,

There it is again. :-)
When have I rated your posts? And how (or rather: why?)? :-(
I'm curious.
Thanks for calling my eyes beady, though. I blame it on the French cognac.

All the best

Sweden

Harry Mann
Sergeant

Post Number: 48
Posted on Wednesday, March 16, 2005 - 4:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Firstly If anyone refers to me as an idiot,it wouldn't upset me.In preference I would accept the description'amateur idiot'as I do not get paid for the rubbish I write.
Hello Frank,
Yes folly is the wrong word to use.We have two reports,from two different sources.One was published at the time,so we know what was written,the other taken by police and seen only by them or others they reported to.We do not know what exactly was contained in the police report,but as I have pointed out,my main consideration is that what was written in the paper and what Swanson says does not differ in the extreme.
A few words spoken and a hand on the shoulder.The initial contact,which resulted in either a backward push,or a victim forced to the ground.Dim light,a frightened witness who cannot speak English,and hurries away.There is room for doubt as to what actually happened.
Now I seem the only one who proposes that Stride was not assaulted in the first incident.The words may have been completely innocent,and the fall or backward movement,a result of Strides own actions.Swanson may have misinterpreted,but because he is a high police official,the almost universal agreement is that he could not be wrong.
My opinion only.The drunk was innocent of both counts of assault,and Stride was lured into the yard by another person.This other person was J.T.R.

Caroline Anne Morris
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1557
Posted on Wednesday, March 16, 2005 - 2:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Glenn,

There would be no point in killing her, really. I don't think the Ripper was someone who killed people just because he was angry or disappointed.

But would you concede that Jack would at least have been capable of murdering Liz quickly and quietly without mutilating her afterwards, as long as he saw the point in doing so? He'd already killed at least twice before, and they say it gets easier to destroy human life on a whim the more you do it.

I may have a more vivid imagination than you, but I can think of several possible reasons why Jack might have seen the point in killing someone he subsequently failed, for several possible reasons, to go on to mutilate.

The other murders (at least Nichols and Eddowes) tells us a great deal of how he worked, and this doesen't fit.

Well it takes two to tango, and you are forgetting that each murder victim would have had a unique input regarding each crime, no matter how rigidly you believe Jack would have stuck to his way of doing things.

It doesn't follow that Liz would have behaved just like Nichols, Chapman or Eddowes in the presence of her assailant and/or killer. How would Jack have reacted if he encountered Liz and, unlike the others, she had not gone along with his funny little plans to the letter? None of us can guess, least of all you, since you believe that Liz never had a chance to meet Jack that night and make him react to anything, in any way.

Of course we can play it safe and say that she wasn't mutilated because the killer either was interrupted or dissatisfied with the situation for some strange and unfounded reason.

But Glenn, all the other Liz doubters have been doing their utmost to give me perfectly normal and well-founded reasons why Jack might well have been dissatisfied with the situation in Berner Street, from the point of view of a man who sought to mutilate his victims after killing them. Are you now saying all their reasons are strange and unfounded?

Or do you mean there can only be strange and unfounded reasons for Jack ever finding himself in an unsatisfactory situation (for example, because after making an initial move on another prospective victim, this one proves unwilling to budge from a location - and a situation - that he considers unsatisfactory for his mutilation plans), and only strange and unfounded reasons for Jack ever seeing a point in cutting and running on such an occasion?

Too many unknowns to say what Jack would consider pointless, especially in the heat of the moment, and when his decisions were based on the fact that he was already the most wanted killer on the planet.

Hi Frank,

Good scenario there, and it could have happened that way. It's just that I can't see Kidney having quite that much luck: being in exactly the right time and place when he indulged this sudden fit of fatal pique, allowing him to slip unexpectedly and more than comfortably into Jack's silent slippers, just for this one sweep of the knife that did for his prostitute lover, minutes before Jack did for another man's lover - and blow me, not one of the idiots calling themselves policemen ever suspected things might not have been what they seemed.

More evidence please that they didn't investigate Kidney at all, or that they would have found evidence against him had they done so more thoroughly. And I'm talking evidence beyond the fact that, like so many men in similar circumstances, he didn't always handle his woman with kid gloves.

Love,

Caz
X

Jeff Hamm
Chief Inspector
Username: Jeffhamm

Post Number: 634
Posted on Wednesday, March 16, 2005 - 3:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,
It's funny how the issue of whether or not Stride is, or is not, a Ripper victim sparks such controversy. I find many of the arguments I have with myself over this very issue get as heated, which must sound rather strange. I would love to be able to have an opinion but I find this case, in particular, is so easy to "argue from the other point of view" because it is so ambiguous.

Personally, I firmly believe only one of two situations need be considered. Either JtR killed Stride, or he didn't. Somewhere in there is truth with a bit T, no doubt about it. Any attempt to add more details to this all encompassing theory is problamatic because it's easy to present simple counter arguments that question the validity of the extra details.

For example, let's try and be more specific about who JtR might have been. Mr. BS is JtR and he killed Stride, etc. Well, one can point to the fact that Mr. BS was seen to assault Stride, his description is not at odds with the fellow seen with Eddowes later that night. These are "Points for accepting this extra detail".

Points against, the time of the assault seems to suggest he should have had time to mutilate Stride, and Mr. BS is reported to have just simply attacked Stride, while with Eddowes and Chapman (possibly Kelly), it appears JtR spent at least a little time "negotiating" with his victims prior to attacking them.

Now, let's counter the counter points. The times given must be viewed with caution, and the blood evidence, and times reported, when we allow for reasonable margins of error, indicate that Mr. BS's assualt may have been very close in time to Diemshutz's arrival; interruption therefore could be viewed as supported by the evidence, even if it's not proven. The more clumsy assault may reflect the fact that Stride is different from the other victims in that she does not appear to have been so incapacitated in the first place (Nichols, Chapman, Eddowes, and Kelly were all reported as being either very intoxicated, up all night, and/or sick - none would have been as able to put up much of a resistance; Stride seems more sober, etc). JtR's normal attack may not have been that skillful, but given his victims were normally quite fragile, perhaps Stride's assault was not so "out of the ordinary" for JtR. As for the lack of "negotiations", every crime has it's own individual aspects, perhaps JtR had been having trouble getting prostitutes to talk with him lately, so he changed his approach. With it not going so well with Stride, he reverts back to what "works" with Eddowes? (Huge speculation, but without evidence, all we can do is speculate about why the known events may have occurred; note, I'm not making up events, just making up reasons for why the events happened they way we are told they did).

The throat wounds between Stride and Eddowes seem similar to my untrained eye, that would link the two crimes. With Eddowes a generally accepted JtR victim, that link would make Stride a JtR victim. Key phrase, however, is "my untrained eye". What I see as similar, a forensic examiner might see as "insufficient to conclude same killer". This could be vital information, or it could be a wil'o the wisp.

Stride's cachous could be another red herring. If their presence in her hands indicates she had them out between Mr. BS's attack and her death, we try and fill in what happened between those two events that allowed her to get the cachous out. But if so, she must have been attacked a 2nd time, so why didn't she drop them then? If they were just wrapped in paper, and she had them out to eat one, why didn't they fly all over the place during the 2nd attack? But, if they were tucked up her sleeve, and fell out during the assault, then we don't need to worry about a time between Mr. BS and her death. But just because we don't "need" to that doesn't prove there wasn't such break.

If Mr. BS was JtR, then we know he didn't flee the scene after being spotted by Schwartz and Pipe Man. And though we may feel that JtR from the other crimes would have fled, without killing Stride in such a situation, if Mr. BS is JtR then what we feel is wrong. If, of course, what we feel is correct, then Mr. BS is not JtR because JtR would have fled. I think, personally, this ends up in circular logic. What we think JtR would have done, is then used to prove whether or not Mr. BS is JtR based upon what Mr. BS appears to have done.

If JtR suffered from a paranoid type mental disorder, which is certainly not a new idea, it can be hard to say for sure what he would have done in any given situation. His behaviour might be very different from one moment to the next.

Was the location similar to other JtR locations? Certainly it's no more dangerous a location for murder than Hanbury Street, and it's even more secluded than Nichol's murder scene, which was right out on the open street. It is, however, the only crime that crosses the main throughfare. Would JtR prowl this area for victims? Maybe, this is another area that I think runs the risk of becomming a bit circular.

Anyway, I'm not sure how far we can get if we approach Stride in a debating manner. Rather than trying to present "the case for", or "the case against", with the idea that we should be able to nut out which is correct, I think with Stride a far more useful strategy is to pick one, then based upon that build the most plausible story that fits the evidence. Then, pick the opposite, and build the most plausible story that fits the evidence.

For example, start with the premise that Stride was a Ripper victim. You are not setting out to "prove this is true", you are simply assuming it is. Then, you try and fit all the evidence around this starting point. If it is impossible to make it fit (not just you don't like how it fits), you've disproved it. Remember, however, that if you cannot make it fit simply because of your interpretation of something (i.e. JtR would not have done this, etc) you're not playing the game. Your interpretation may be wrong, JtR may have done this for all we know. If he did, then he must be different from what I think)

Once you've done all that, you start over. You simply change the premise to "Stride was not a Ripper victim".

The idea is to throw away "what we feel", and if we have to tell the most plausible stories we can, with one "including Stride" and one "excluding Stride", then it's hoped we have to discard any of our own bias when working on at least one of these stories. It's amazing how being forced to look at something with the goal of fitting it to the "other starting point" how much of our own biases we uncover. When I first started looking at the JtR murders, Stride was certainly included. Now, however, I have no opinion beyond either she was or was not a JtR victim.

This is because I've found, if I do the above exercise, neither premise really produces any paradoxes. Both appear to be valid starting points, around which all of the evidence can be made to fit. The data fits in different ways, though (i.e., the throat wound stuff fits as "is JtR" because to me they appear similar; it fits as "is not JtR" because the judgement of similarity is untrustworthy - it's my opinion they are similar and I'm not qualified to make that judgment).

The great thing about doing this, however, is that one does find that in the end the possibilites are not infiniate. The evidence may be able to tell two different and opposite stories, but those two opposite stories still are constrained. And, when we then compare the two stories, we see where they differ. And that is where we can target our energies. Where do the stories differ in "how the data fits them", and what might we be able to do to figure out which fit is correct?

I would really like for someone who is a forensic examiner, who knows about blood clotting times, and knife wounds, to have a look at some of that stuff and let us know what we can make of it. Given the little that we have, however, I would expect the response to be "inconclusive due to lack of sufficient information", or some such thing.

- Jeff

Cludgy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, March 14, 2005 - 10:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mr Hill you wrote

"For me, i'm afraid you'll have to prove that the gates in Buck's Row and Mitre Square were ever open for prostitutes to get inside. Not all the murders occured near such gates (Chapman and Kelly did not) and 50% could be a coincidence."

Mr Hill

You have missed my point

I did not say that all the murders occured near to gates, the point I was making was that I am of the opinion that all of the victims took their killer to a place where they had serviced clients on a previous occasion.

Also can you provide me with evidence that states the gates in Mitre Square, and Bucks Row were always locked?

Mr Hill you also wrote

"Also gates have "give" which a wall does not, which may be why the women liked to lean against them. That might explain their choice."

And Harrods had some nice featherdown mattreses in their Bedding Department

Regards Cludgy

LUKE WHITLEY
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, March 15, 2005 - 4:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Robert.
Well, what a breath of fresh air you've brought to this thread. It's about time that the individual beliefs of the various contributers were treated with respect, instead of contempt, by two bullies who think they know ALL, but in fact KNOW nothing.
Two people who insult the intelligence of everyone who opposes their opinions, when in fact there isn't a shred of contemporary evidence to support their claims.
You are supported by all the top detectives who investigated these crimes, and the doctors who confirmed their beliefs. You are in the vast majority of people who believe Stride to have been a Ripper victim. Count me among them.
Maybe others may not be hesitant in expressing their beliefs here now, after you've stood up to, and put these two arrogant people firmly in their place.
With respect and regards.
LUKE WHITLEY.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.