Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Kearly & Tonge Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Victims » Mary Ann "Polly" Nichols » Kearly & Tonge « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Apwolf

Post Number: 1303
Posted on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 5:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I always knew that poor old Mary was murdered outside of a tea warehouse in Buck's Row but just reading through Leonard Matters - published in 1929 - I do note that on a personal tour of the area he mentions that the warehouse belongs to Kearly & Tonge.
Sort of neat that.

Simon Owen
Detective Sergeant
Username: Simonowen

Post Number: 110
Posted on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 5:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You have Leonard Matters ???

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1306
Posted on Saturday, August 28, 2004 - 2:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, Simon I do. Well, not him, but his book.
Not as valuable as 'Jack the Myth', although it is perhaps more informative, and certainly more reliable.

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chris

Post Number: 1341
Posted on Saturday, August 28, 2004 - 3:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi AP
This map which was sent to me shows the position of the Kearley and Tonge premises in Buck's Row
All the best
Chris
kt

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1342
Posted on Saturday, August 28, 2004 - 3:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

AP The accompanying mesage to the above map, which gives a bit more info, was:
Chris re Durward st obvisiously it was some timr ago since been there
but Durward st even in those days was one way as as you entered it was
very narrow then it opened up very wide where we used to park the
lorries waiting to loas up it took the whole right side of durward st right to
the end where Valance rd (of the infamous Krays) ran across .there was
two warehouses approx 5 stories high divided by a tiny little st

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1312
Posted on Saturday, August 28, 2004 - 5:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for that Chris,
I didn't even know the Krays were Jewish immigrants till I got on this site.
It appears that the majority of warehouses on Bucks Row were devoted to the wool trade, but I'm still looking and it is comforting to know that you are as well.

Robert Clack
Inspector
Username: Rclack

Post Number: 311
Posted on Saturday, August 28, 2004 - 6:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi AP, Chris

I came across this photo of the Kearley & Tonge Warehouses taken in the mid thirties. The photo was taken from the junction of Vallance Road and Whitechapel Road. For other reasons I've been trying to date when the warehouses were built. I believe they were built between 1894 and 1913.

The Warehouses almost opposite where Mary Ann Nichols were found, which ran to Brady street were Wool Warehouses owned by Browne & Eagle Ltd.

Rob

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 2891
Posted on Sunday, August 29, 2004 - 6:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Rob

This is from an 1895 street directory (I've combined the bottom of one column with the top of the next).

KT

Robert

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1344
Posted on Sunday, August 29, 2004 - 8:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all
My source on Kearley and Tonge had this to say about Mitre Square and Buck's Row:

I was working for K&T in the 60s and Mitre was still K&T head ofices as I have been there to collect mail etc then, their warehouses (they only had two in London) were in Whitechapel adjacent london hospital the st name was DURWARD ST and the ruins of the warehouses are still there to my knowledge but now a car park. this is more likely to br ripper land, as it terrified me when I worked there aged 15 years old it was so Victorian real spooky place

Robert Clack
Inspector
Username: Rclack

Post Number: 312
Posted on Sunday, August 29, 2004 - 8:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Robert

Thanks for that. It looks as if Kearley & Tonge may have had premises there in 1888, but it doesn't look like they were in the same position as they were in the twenties and thirties. I presume a similar situation occurred with them as occurred with the Brewery in Hanbury Street, in that they knocked down a couple of blocks and built a whole new warehouse.

All the best

Rob

George Hutchinson
Chief Inspector
Username: Philip

Post Number: 687
Posted on Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 8:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just for Rob Clack...

Rob, here's the image I told you about of workers making army blankets at Schneiders' factory in Durward Street during WW1.

schneiders

Come on, then... where was it?

PHILIP
Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd!

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.