Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Archive through May 19, 2004 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Victims » Elizabeth Stride » Liz Stride- The murder » Archive through May 19, 2004 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Glenna

Post Number: 1666
Posted on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 12:02 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey Paul, my man.

Kidney's testimony and his arrogant conduct at the inquest is some of the most suspicious behaviour I have ever seen from someone close to a murder victim.

Not only does he accuses the police for not doing their job, but he also claims that he has the answers and then when they press him to reveal his alleged information, he draws back and makes excuses. A strange time and occasion to seek for attention.
I know that each of us have different ways to deal with grief and so on. But we also has on record that he was abusive and a real domestic bully. I wouldn't trust him enough to buy a used micro wave from him. A first class creep.

It's just my hunch - it doesen't mean that he had something to do with her murder, but something is not right with this guy.

All the best
Glenn Gustaf Lauritz Andersson
Crime historian, Sweden

Paul Jackson
Inspector
Username: Paulj

Post Number: 177
Posted on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 12:40 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey Glenn,

I went back and read his inquest testimony in
Evans and Skinners "The Ultimate Companion"...
which is a very thorough book, by the way. I see what you mean now about him being kinda "strange". His testimony makes no sense.
They repeatedly ask him if he has info regarding the killer or persons that may harm Stride and originally he says that if he had been the cops, that he would have done blah,blah,blah...and caught the murderer in the act. Then they ask him again, and he says that he went to cops and was drunk and nobody would take his info, which I find hard to believe.
Then he says something to the effect that he couldnt get the info because he wasnt a cop and
that if he had of been, and the murder was committed on his beat, that he would have killed himself. Very Bizarre!!

I have to agree with ya, man. Maybe he was just a straight up "Fruit loop"...who knows. What kind of ranting and raving is that, anyway?
It sounds to me that the Judge should have shipped him off to the Looney Bin. Dude was obviously F***** up in the head... Big Time!

Later

Paul

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1668
Posted on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 6:31 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey Paul,

I agree with you big time, dude.

Yes, Evan's and Skinner's {Ultimate Companion/Sourcebook} is a real hit and it really deserves its name "ultimate" - a great piece of reference work.

All the best
Crime historian, Sweden

Alan Sharp
Chief Inspector
Username: Ash

Post Number: 560
Posted on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 6:44 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Paul/Glenn

Imagine Michael Kidney has connections to the High Rip gangs. Now read his testimony again. Make more sense?

Natalie Severn
Chief Inspector
Username: Severn

Post Number: 729
Posted on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Folks!
.....think booze too and read his testimony again!Natalie

Paul Jackson
Inspector

Post Number: 179
Posted on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 9:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nat and Alan,

Good call on both your parts. Is there any serious suspicions that kidney was affiliated with the gang or were you just kidding?
Best regards.

Paul

Alan Sharp
Chief Inspector
Username: Ash

Post Number: 566
Posted on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 6:06 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Paul

It's a theory which will be expanded on in the . I spent a great deal of time studying Kidney's testimony trying to figure out what could possibly explain it. When I began to consider that his "information" might be a connection with the gangs, everything in his testimony just seemed to fall into place.

Michael Raney
Inspector
Username: Mikey559

Post Number: 328
Posted on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Interesting idea Alan. I can't wait to hear more. I do tend to agree more with Natalie, I'm thinking he was really pissed.

Mikey

RosemaryO'Ryan
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dear Mr Andersson,

The case evidence is, that a Mr Schartz believed... I emphasize BELIEVED...that a man with a pipe, followed (chased?), him for a distance from the crime scene.
(1) Did he imagine this encounter?
(2) What was the inflexion intended in the cry "Lipski!"?
(3) Does the case evidence provide a possible scenario for pipe man at other murder sites?
Rosey :-)

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1674
Posted on Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 5:10 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dear Rosemary,

(1) I have no idea. He wasn't completely sure himself obviously, if that man ran after him or ran away from the scene just like he himself did. There is an inconsistency in this testimony regarding that, although he felt more convinced about the first choice
(2) Can't say. No one knows for sure what that really meant; we can only speculate and I haven't the faintest idea, apart from the theories already put up regarding it.
(3) I am not sure what you mean. Elaborate.

(Message edited by Glenna on April 29, 2004)
Crime historian, Sweden

Monty
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Monty

Post Number: 1061
Posted on Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Glenn,

(3) Alice !

Alice ?.....who the f*@K is Alice ?

Gettit ?

Monty
:-)

Our little group has always been and always will until the end...

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1676
Posted on Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 12:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Gettit, Monty. :-)

All the best
Crime historian, Sweden

Cludgy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 10:21 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What if Pipe man and the assailant as seen by Shwartz, were together.

Pipe man and the assailant have been visiting a few pubs they've had a few too many. They live somewhere beyond Berner Street.

Anyway the pubs turn out, and on their way home they pass down Berner Street.

They are on the East side of the road, as they aproach the IWC (on the opposite side of the road) one of the two (not Pipe Man) sees Stride soliciting by the Club.

This man has seen Stride a few times in his Street and he being a good Christian, resents her soliciting in his neighbourhood.

Anyway he crosses the road and gives Stride a few verbals, she refuses to move, the assailant then grabs hold of Stride and physically tries to remove her from the Street.

He(and this is significant)tries to pull her into the road, she cries out three times, but not very loudly. Pipe man is still on the other side of the road waiting for his friend to finish what he is doing.

Shwartz in the meantime has been advancing down Berner Street on the same side as the IWC, he arrives at the scene just as the man is pulling Stride into the Road.

He dosn't like what he sees and crosses the Road. Assailant sees him and quickly realises that he is a Jew.

Assailant shouts the insult "Lipski", at him.

By the way, as Shwartz crosses the road he goes beyond and further down Berner Street than Pipe Man.

Pipe Man, who has been egged on by his friends shout at Shwartz, is Assailants freind, and does indeed run after Shwartz, not to catch him, but just to see him off, for being the nosy Jew.

I have read that Pipe Man came out of the Nelson P.H. This report however appeared in the Star Newspaper.

The most important thing is that Shwartz himself the sole witness to the scene never said that Pipe man came out of The Nelson, thus the story that he came out of The Nelson, is in my opinion, a bit of artistic licsense on the part of The Sun.

I said that it was significant, that the Assailant was seen to pull Stride into the Road, and the reason that I think it is significant, is that I would deem it very unlikely that if someone wanted to kill Stride then surely their initial move would be to drag her into the yard.

The actions of Strides assailant seems to me to be that of someone trying to scatter her, not kill her.

This is why Stride only calls out softly, she knows she is in the wrong, and dosn't want to draw attention to herself. She also dosn't want a good hiding.

The time of the attack would coincide nicely with the Pubs turning out, add to this that it was Saturday night, probaly the most popular drinking night of the week(i.e. no work on Sunday), and I think you'll see that this scenario is worth considering.

Although I know a lot of the contributors to these boards decry scenarios as dangerous, there it is anyway.

Whether this scenario is of merit to discuss or not, I don't know. I'm not in the clique.

Take Care.

Cludgy.

RosemaryO'Ryan
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 6:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dear Cludgy,

Well, that is a possible (though slightly complex) scenario for me. I prefer to stick with the extent case evidence, ie., witnesses, police witnesses, post-mortem reports.
I EXCLUDE ALL PRESS ACCOUNTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Otherwise I am open to the possibilities you may present - based on the case evidence.
Rosey :-)

Cludgy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thats all it was meant to be Rosie, a scenario, written by myself, in a moment of reflection, not to be taken seriously.

Some of the contributors to this site you see, particulary the Crime Historians, Swedish ones, who's names end in Anderson take me a bit too seriously.

What qualifies you as a Crime Historian Glen? Have you written any books?

I'd like to read them.

The reason I ask is because you seconded a motion, regarding, David Radka, whereby somebody was asking Mr Radka to come out and state if he was a qualified trick cyclist.

What qualifications do you have regarding Crime history, or are they self appointed?

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1770
Posted on Monday, May 10, 2004 - 7:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cludgy,

What's up?

"Some of the contributors to this site you see, particulary the Crime Historians, Swedish ones, who's names end in Anderson take me a bit too seriously."

Hehe. I haven't even commented on your scenario... yet. :-)
But I will, when I am not too tied up with work.

I agreed that Radka could by all means show his credentials as far as psychology is concerned, simply because he lays a lot of weight in it - and seems to be of the opinion that he knows more than anybody else on the subject. If you know the person's credentials, it's easier to understand his or hers reasoning and outputs. Personally, I always try to consult various experts on different fields when I want to examine a subject that doesen't belong to my major area of expertise. But I didn't mean it to come out like you have to have legitimate, official expert credentials just because you're putting up a theory. Absolutely not. Many of us here are more or less amateurs in a way and that is quite OK.

"What qualifies you as a Crime Historian Glen? Have you written any books?
I'd like to read them."

Yes, one (see my profile page);
it has been very well received here at home - it is unfortunately in Swedish, though, although I have recently put together (or at least attempted to put together) an English appendix to go with it.

I've done some articles as well and have held some occasional lectures in crime and local history. My interest in crime history goes back many years and I have quite a lot of contacts within the police force.
So that's all - nothing fancy; I simply consider myself an amateur on the field. I would never consider calling myself an "expert" (there is a difference) - there are a lot of distinguished people who certainly deserves to be labeled as such better than myself.

All the best
Crime historian, Sweden

Donald Souden
Inspector
Username: Supe

Post Number: 235
Posted on Monday, May 10, 2004 - 8:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cludgy and anyone else,

The following is an unsolicited and (darn!) uncompensated commentary: I have read Mordet pa Dagmar Kofoed by Glenn Andersson and found it an interesting and thorough examination of several murders in the Helsingborg area in the first half of the 20th century. And, like a good historian, he seemed to be objective and kept his own opinions to a minimum.

Don.

Paul Jackson
Inspector

Post Number: 215
Posted on Monday, May 10, 2004 - 9:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

testing testing. Trying to see if this thing is working yet.

Paul Jackson
Inspector

Post Number: 216
Posted on Monday, May 10, 2004 - 9:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It appears to be...

Glenn,

Whats up ole friend? I wish you had a copy of your book in English. I would love to read it.
My Swedish is a little rusty. I havent been able to post for a few days, because of the transition. Ive got to go back and read up on everything I missed. Which is probably not that much. The Board has been kinda dull lately, except for the Radka thing, and even that is getting old. Oh well...gotta go.

Paul

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1771
Posted on Tuesday, May 11, 2004 - 3:45 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, the Boards seems to work better now; I had some problems with the links earlier.

Hey, Paul - old boy!
How are ya?

Well, the book The Murder on Dagmar Kofoed and other Criminal Cases is loaded with photos from local history societies and the police, so they are an enjoyment in itself.

However, there is an appendix booklet to go with it, containing an English translation. The translation probably needs some tidying up, but it is possible to read, so no one needs struggle with the Swedish. I've shipped some copies of the book and the appendix to the US and England, and it seems to have worked fine for people to read it.
A great deal of the 1000 copies edition is sold out, but I have quite a few left.

If you're interested, mail me.
I don't want to use these particular Boards as an advertising forum for my own stuff to a further degree.

Hey Donald,

Thanks for the nice comments.
(I can recommend Don's crime novel The Same ... Only Different as well - and yes, this commentary is also unsolicitied and uncompensated... :-) ).

Now, enough advertising...

All the best

(Message edited by Glenna on May 11, 2004)
Crime historian, Sweden

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1772
Posted on Tuesday, May 11, 2004 - 3:57 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Cludgy,

Well, I think your scenario works rather OK. It would be wrong to say that this couldn't have been the course of events. Actually, it comes relatively close to one of mine regarding this particular incident.

It shall be noted that in the Star report Schwartz was walking behind the assailant (who appeared to be drunk) into Berner Street and that the pipe man came out of the pub later - but as you say, newspaper accounts should be read with a lot of caution.

However, we must not forget that we don't have Schwartz's initial statement to the police, only a summarized account by Swanson written in retrospect - probably only containing the most vital parts, so therefore it is hard to compare the police account with the one in the paper, since his initial one to the police probably contained more details which may have cleared up some contradictions. And we must not forget that the Star and the police probably used different interpreters (the police probably a more reliable one).
However, I think it's obvious that the Star report in many ways is a rather dramatised and elaborated account of the events.

All the best

(Message edited by Glenna on May 11, 2004)
Crime historian, Sweden

Michael Raney
Inspector
Username: Mikey559

Post Number: 356
Posted on Tuesday, May 11, 2004 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cludgy,

Your scenario as written seems a very likely possibility. I think there is no harm in writing scenarios as a way to see how the evidence might fit. It is a tool just like the many other tools that any detective uses. I don't exclude all of the news reports, I think we may get leads or information from them that we can try to check out that we may not find anywhere else. I do take them with a grain of salt. They are trying to sell newspapers, after all.

Mikey

Monty
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Monty

Post Number: 1124
Posted on Wednesday, May 19, 2004 - 5:24 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Guys,

Just a quick one…..said the actress…..

Im at work….yes I am,

OK, this taken from Phillips post mortem report on Stride….

The throat was deeply gashed and there was an abrasion of the skin about 1 ¼. In diameter, apparently stained with blood, under her right brow.

Now, could someone explain where the ‘brow’ is please ?

Is it where Im assuming ? The eye brow ?

Its just that Im looking for evidence of the attack seen by Schwartz.

Thanks for any help,

Monty

Sarah Long
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Sarah

Post Number: 1155
Posted on Wednesday, May 19, 2004 - 6:49 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Monty,

I would presume it meant the eyebrow as I have no idea where else it would be talking about. I just had a quick look on google for anatomy web sites and all took "brow" to mean the eyebrow. However, "brow" have meant something else in 1888 but I don't personally think so.

Sarah
Smile and the world will wonder what you've been up to
Smile too much and the world will guess

Cludgy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, May 18, 2004 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Glen.

Been a bit busy lately, so havn't posted for a while.

I hope you didn't take my last post too seriously, I tend to get a bee in my bonnet, now and again.

But believe me there was no real malice in my comments.

Iv'e always been a bit curious of the way you finish off your posts with Crime Historian, and I just thought I'd ask if you'd written any books.

My enquiries will probably do the sales of the book the world of good. I hope you'll put a dedication to me in future editions.

By the way, Mr Souden seems a level headed sort of man, so I'll go along with his summing up of your book.

Take care.

Cludgy.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.