Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Archive through February 07, 2004 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Victims » General Discussion / Other Victims » Time Traveling What if » Archive through February 07, 2004 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Robert Charles Linford
Chief Inspector
Username: Robert

Post Number: 777
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2003 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Petra

Hey, I like Bach! (but I also like rock).

Your talk about music has allowed me to deduce the colour of Mary Kelly's hair, which I can now safely say was black, and not blonde. How do I know? Because Elton John hasn't done a song about her.

Robert

Petra Zaagman
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 4:43 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hehehe..... good suggestion about her hair, but you forgot one little detail (not important though..)
she was identified by her hair. Did she still have black hair? Or maybe blonde.....
Ok Elton, write that song!!

Petra

Robert Charles Linford
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 790
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2003 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I bet Elton never imagined that "Candle in the Wind" would turn into

Robert

Caroline Anne Morris
Inspector
Username: Caz

Post Number: 366
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 8:00 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No, Robert, but what about the guy who wrote all the words for Elton to put his famous tunes to? Everyone forgets about him.

I think you'll find he wrote about MJK's eyes. All together now, let's play his song: It's a little bit funny... you see I've forgotten if they're green or they're blue...

Love,

Caz

Robert Charles Linford
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 799
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 9:25 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Caz

Yes, let's not forget Bernie Taupin. And of course Elton had a number one with Kiki Dee, with another song about MJK - "Don't Go Taking My Heart".

Robert

Alan Sharp
Police Constable
Username: Ash

Post Number: 8
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 9:44 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How about "Saturday Night's Alright for Fighting", a clear reference to Israel Schwarz testimony, and not forgetting "Funeral for a Friend".

By George I think we've got it. It was all so simple, why did nobody think of it before! Elton and Bernie were hired by William Gull to travel around Whitechapel in a coach with some poisoned grapes......

Robert Charles Linford
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 800
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 10:14 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Alan, interesting that you bring in Gull, because we also have Elton's instrumental "Song For Guy's". A definite medical involvement.

Robert

Caroline Anne Morris
Inspector
Username: Caz

Post Number: 367
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 12:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And then we have 'Sacrifice', of course, bringing in D'Onston and that old black magic ritual malarky.

Florence Maybrick, returning from a rendezvous with her lover, caused Jim to break out in a cold sweat and a chorus of 'The Bitch is Back' and 'Florie seems to be the hardest bird', before heading south for a spot of revenge.

Love,

Caz

Robert Charles Linford
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 801
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Caz, you can hear Jim's song if you tune to FM.

So many of the songs seem to be about Joe and Mary. We have "Daniel my brother, you are older than me", plus Joe's bemusement during the mutilation : "It's a little bit funny, this filling inside."

And of course there's Joe's lament over his malnourished childhood, "Ricket Man".

Robert

Petra Zaagman
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 4:28 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Another song I can't figure out the excact meaning of-- Avril Lavigne 'I'm with you'

I've got the songtext here:

I'm standing on the bridge
I'm waiting in the dark
I thought that you'd be here by now
there's nothing but the rain
no footsteps on the ground
I'm listening but there's no sound

Isn't anyone trying to find me
won't somebody come take me home

It's a damn cold night
trying to figure out this life
won't you take me by the hand
take me somewhere new
I don't know who you are but I
I'm with youI'm looking for a place
I'm searching for a face
is anybody here I know
cause nothing's going right
and everything's a mess
and no one likes to be alone

Isn't anyone trying to find me
won't somebody come take me home

It's a damn cold night
trying to figure out this life
Won't you take me by the hand
take me somewhere new
I don't know who you are but I
I'm with you
I'm with you

Why is everything so confusing
Maybe I'm just out of my mind
Yeah yeah.....

Chorus

------------------------------------------

I wonder if she's talking about more then only HER feelings..
Every lonely person could feel like this.
So would sad or confused persons.

Jack's victims, perhaps.
Maybe even Jack himself, although this is less likely to me...
Sincerely,
Petra

Eric Smith
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 5:26 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was thinking maybe we could rent some movies for Jack and leave them on his doorstep right before he gets home from the Stride/Eddowes murders. I checked the Internet Movie Database and found a few selections:
The Choke's on You (1936)
Neck and Neck
Slash of the Knife
Oh. We have to leave him a tvm vcr, instruction manual, popcorn, and an electrical generator to run the tv , microwave, and vcr.

Robert Charles Linford
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 856
Posted on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good idea, Eric - then watch the overdue fines build up for him when he can't take the videos back.

One TV programme he might be interested in : "The World's Worst Keyhole Surgeons."

Robert

Eric Smith
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, October 05, 2003 - 12:44 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here's a good question. Did Jack carry a gun as back up? If we go back in time to catch/interview/annoy Jack, do we need to bring guns of our own? I'd hate to show up at Miller's court, bust in on Jack and Mary only to get a chest full of lead for my efforts.

Petra Zaagman
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, October 06, 2003 - 10:31 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Poor Jack.... let's give him The Ring too.
Another way to kill people, might be interesting for him..

I've watched it, and right after we watched the video a mobile phone rang! Lol!

I didn't see most of those video's, and I love horror..
Time for a time-travel and a deal with Jack..
I'll tell him how the TV works, if I can see the movies..
I didn't watch any of those, only The Ring.. but I'd love to see it again..
I just hope Jack won't scream because of the effects.. ('Wow! Do the actors REALLY die??!!') Guess not.... hehehe

Eric Smith
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, January 19, 2004 - 2:16 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok, I've decided that when I finish building my time machine, I'll snatch JTR and have him attend the annual JTR Conference that year so he can finally put everything to rest. Of course, I'm sure some folks will still insist he killed or did not kill so and so.
I can see the debate now:
Robert: You didn't kill Stride!
JTR: Yes I did!
Robert: No you didn't!
JTR: BANG!
Eric: Jack! You killed Robert!
Monty: No he didn't. He missed. There was a second gunman behind the fence in the grassy knoll outside. Besides, it doesn't fit Jack's MO.

Jason Scott Mullins
Detective Sergeant
Username: Crix0r

Post Number: 74
Posted on Wednesday, January 21, 2004 - 10:24 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bwahahahahhahaha

That was funny Eric. As much as I'd like to think it possible, reverse time travel just isn't in my immediate future :-(

Though, if I had a big enough mirror, and could travel faster than the light that left the planet in 1888.. Mmmmmmmmmm the possibilities :P

crix0r

Jason Scott Mullins
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 75
Posted on Wednesday, January 21, 2004 - 10:30 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ya know Eric, you do bring up a very valid point. I do have to wonder exactly what WAS his plan for getting away if ever witnessed, especially in the Kelly room. Talk about being found red-handed!!

A gun would be sufficient, but would draw a little to much attention, thus making his escape a little difficult..

Then again, he did simply walk away from the whole scene, with out drawing suspicion to himself.. some would say in almost broad daylight.. covered in blood (albeit on very dark clothes I'd have to bet). Kinda makes one wonder doesn't it? :-)

crix0r

Eric Smith
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2004 - 2:46 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok, new strategy:
We go back in time before the murders and kidnap all the suspects. Then when we get back to the future, if no one has ever heard of Jack the Ripper, then we have our man. If JTR is still a part of history, then we have some explaining to do to our kidnap victims.

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2026
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2004 - 7:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good idea Eric. But suppose we kidnap the actual JTR before he can commit a crime. Then JTR isn't part of history. When we get back to the future, there'd be no books about him. Would we even know what "Jack the Ripper" meant? Would our memories have been erased? Would we look at the man we'd just kidnapped (JTR) and say "Who the hell are you?"

Robert

Jason Scott Mullins
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 81
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2004 - 9:39 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Depends on which stance you take with regards to time travel Robert :-)

Technically, we are all time travelers. However, we are moving at one speed, in one direction. If we think of time as a dimension, that is. Einstein made great leaps and bounds with this type of thinking.. I suggest a good book called "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene. He touches on a lot of stuff, reverse time travel included.

There are those that follow the multi-verse theory and others who say that reverse time travel is impossible.

Others say it's possible, but with paradox problems. One of the more famous is the Grandfather paradox.

Personally, I would hate to think it impossible, just impractical. I would hate to think of the ramifications if used unwisely or incorrectly :P

Then again, if reverse time travel is possible, why haven't we seen any time travelers from other time periods?

Perhaps one day we'll have an answer (on reverse time travel that is). I'd love to have the all seeing eye in hell. Then I'd have all the answers any question

:-)

With regards to Jack though.. I would think it wisest to just go back and watch. Interfering with the past can't be a good thing. Matter of fact, that's about the only common thread in all the reverse time travel theories.

Go back with some high tech spy gear, get him on film.. come home with an answer... Tis that or we find a real medium able to contact the real jack :P

crix0r

Andrew Spallek
Inspector
Username: Aspallek

Post Number: 357
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2004 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have not delved much into the science of time travel theories, but I will check out the Greene book. It seems to me, however, that while it may be possible to observe images from other times, physical "travel" into other times could not be possible. Reality exists only at the present moment.

Images of light and sound from the past are still "out there" somewhere traveling through space. Conceivably, these light and sound waves could be received in the present and observed, much as radio waves broadcast years ago could conceivably yet be received. But this would be observation only and not interaction with the past.

There are two problems with this theory: (1) Light and sound waves, like radio waves, become diffuse in earth's atmosphere -- essentially diluted. Over time they would become too weak to receive and interpret. (2) Light and sound travel at vastly different velocities. Therefore, even if one could intercept and receive light waves (images) from the past, the corresponding sound would not be in synchronization with it and vice versa.

But there is a type of time travel we experience daily. When we look at a photograph, we are looking at an image from the past. When we see a film or video tape or DVD we are seeing and hearing images from the past. We have overcome the obstacles I mentioned above by preserving the images on a medium (film) or by synchronizing light images and sound images by means of converting both to electrical impulses recorded on magnetic tape or light impulses recorded on disk [films with sound are actually a hybrid solution where light images are recorded on film and synchronized physically with magnetic sound recordings]. This sort of time travel (looking at photos, etc.) is possible only because we have intentionally devised and utilized media to record and synchronize these images. We cannot retroactively go back and observe images that were not preserved in this way.

Or can we? Arthur C. Clarke has talked about the possibility that perhaps light images can become naturally recorded on space under certain conditions. Perhaps this is an explanation for some sightings of "apparitions." After all, what is "time?" Is it not images in space?

Andy S.

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2036
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2004 - 5:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all

I do find the notion of time travel - even if it involves merely the passive observation of events - very difficult to believe in. Just intercepting a photon with the eye, or reflecting a photon to someone else's eye, is to change the past.

Re the question, why have people from the future not contacted us? One horrible answer would be, because we blew the planet up before time travel could be invented.

But as Andy says time is a very nebulous concept -
I think it's basically the thing measured by a clock. And clocks perform differently according to relative motion and gravitational fields (which are themselves, I gather, only warped space).
Time to get the Stephen Hawking books out. Oh my head!

Robert

AP Wolf
Chief Inspector
Username: Apwolf

Post Number: 817
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2004 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Robert
If it helps, my dear old dad, who was a first-class navigator of the seas and stars, once told me that if we shot him off to the distant stars in a rocket ship and if he happened to die a couple of years later, then I would still be able to talk to him for as long as I lived on earth as long as he was travelling away at a sufficient rate from that earth to attain the distance for true immortality to take place.
I could never get my head around this concept as a child and I still can't fifty years later but I think what he meant was that even after he had died I would still be able to talk to him because of the vast distances involved.
Because he wouldn't have yet died in earth time.
And as long as he moved fast enough I would never catch up with him actually dying.
Trouble was he never had a rocket.

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2045
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2004 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, AP, your dad would have been able to actually outlive you if he'd shot off at a significant fraction of the speed of light, slowed down, turned round, accelerated again and then slowed down in order to return to earth. He'd have arrived to find you'd fallen down the stairs.

A similar effect could have been obtained if your dad had gone close to a very massive object, like a neutron star or black hole.

Trouble is, as you say, your dad would have needed a rocket - or else would have had to put on a tremendous amount of weight!

Robert

AP Wolf
Chief Inspector
Username: Apwolf

Post Number: 818
Posted on Saturday, February 07, 2004 - 3:25 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Robert
the universe is absolutely clear to me now after your lucid explanation, in fact as clear as one of your bells.
Must press on with 'Jack's Room', drank so much SSB last night that I quite forgot who I was, lucky I found a mirror this morning which gave me a clue.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.