Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

R.I.P. Dave Allen Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Pub Talk » R.I.P. Dave Allen « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 4221
Posted on Saturday, March 12, 2005 - 4:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sad to hear of the death of Dave Allen. Definitely one of the best.

Robert

Alan Sharp
Chief Inspector
Username: Ash

Post Number: 794
Posted on Saturday, March 12, 2005 - 9:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I hadn't heard about this. I am in shock. I have to correct you Robert. He was THE best.

Goodnight Dave, and may your God go with you.
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me" - Hunter S. Thompson (1939-2005)
Visit my website - http://www.ashbooks.co.uk/

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Severn

Post Number: 1669
Posted on Saturday, March 12, 2005 - 3:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh Yes-THE best!!!
and how I already miss those fabulous one man shows!

Natalie

George Hutchinson
Inspector
Username: Philip

Post Number: 413
Posted on Saturday, March 12, 2005 - 7:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Like the late great Spike Milligan - TV never did enough for him in his later years.

At least there should be a lot of repeats now!

PHILIP
Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd!

Brad McGinnis
Inspector
Username: Brad

Post Number: 232
Posted on Sunday, March 13, 2005 - 12:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I too am saddened by the death of Mr. Allen. During the 80's we in the US were exposed to a few Uk shows via the independant networks. We had Benny Hill, Paul Hogan, and Dave Allen. Benny was silly but had great babes, Hogan (pre Crocidile Dundee) was slapstick and a riot, but Mr Allen was dry, cutting, and funny in an off the wall way. Its very true Americans and Brits are a people seperated by a common language. I read some threads here and I either misunderstand or havent a clue what our British cousins are talking about. I did find Dave Allen to be a very humorus guy and Im saddened by his passing. Brad

Brad McGinnis
Inspector
Username: Brad

Post Number: 233
Posted on Sunday, March 13, 2005 - 1:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I too am saddened by the death of Mr. Allen. During the 80's we in the US were exposed to a few Uk shows via the independant networks. We had Benny Hill, Paul Hogan, and Dave Allen. Benny was silly but had great babes, Hogan (pre Crocidile Dundee) was slapstick and a riot, but Mr Allen was dry, cutting, and funny in an off the wall way. Its very true Americans and Brits are a people seperated by a common language. I read some threads here and I either misunderstand or havent a clue what our British cousins are talking about. I did find Dave Allen to be a very humorus guy and Im saddened by his passing. Brad

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Suzi

Post Number: 2204
Posted on Monday, March 14, 2005 - 4:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dave Allen was and probably still is one of the funniest men ever! an example to us all and a great loss!!!!

Suzi

Lindsey Millar
Inspector
Username: Lindsey

Post Number: 341
Posted on Monday, March 14, 2005 - 5:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hard to imagine life without Dave Allen. His humour was the funniest, driest wit. For once, words fail me.

As Alan has already said, Goodnight, mate, and may your God go with you. You made me laugh at a time in my life when no others could. So very much appreciated.

God bless,

Lyn

"When a man grows tired of London, he grows tired of life" (or summat like that)

Clive Appleby
Sergeant
Username: Clive

Post Number: 11
Posted on Sunday, March 27, 2005 - 6:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dear All,

Have just caught up with this thread through browsing.

As well as having an amazingly dry sense of humour, Dave Allen often followed an impeccable logic. Particularly for the benefit of American and other overseas contributors to Casebook, who are not familiar with Dave Allen or his humour, the following is an example (although it also requires Dave Allen's "delivery" for full impact):

"Did you know that 10% of all road accidents are caused by drunken drivers ? This must mean that 90% are caused by people who are not drunk -Therefore leave the roads to us drunks, its safer".

He will be missed, as he was undoubtedly one of the "Godfathers" of modern British comedy.

Clive

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 4312
Posted on Monday, March 28, 2005 - 3:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Clive

I always felt that the sketches weren't quite up to the standard of the rest of the show. Yet there were some very funny sketches.

I think the porridge sketch with the Trappist monks is probably my favourite. Another sketch that springs to mind is the one where Dave plays the leader of a group of revolutionaries. Chanting "Power to the People" they stop a car full of aristocrats, turf them out of the car, expropriate their money and jewellery, and drive off guzzling their champagne. A few yards down the road they are stopped by another group of revolutionaries who turf them out of their car, take their money and jewellery....

Robert

Christopher T George
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 1403
Posted on Monday, March 28, 2005 - 6:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all

Also sad to hear of the death of Mr. Allen, a very funny man. I append a couple of examples of his sense of humor.

When do you think the pope will permit us to marry? said the nun to the monk.

Certainly not in our time, but perhaps in our children's or grandchildren's.

A bishop of a South-African apartheid church was appalled by seeing a black boy in the cathedral.

What are you doing in the white people's church? he asked him severely.

I'm washing the floor, sir.

Very well, get on with your work. But don't let me catch you praying here!

-Dave Allen

And another quote from someone remembering Mr. Allen, a year ago, after he had finished performing:

The great Irish comedian Dave Allen always finished each show with the words,

“…thank you, good night & may your God go with you.”

I always liked Mr Allen, probably because in retrospect most of his jokes were delivered from a chair, substantial tumbler of whisky in one hand, cigarette in the other – he always looked so balanced & content. Anyway, maybe these days, political correctness might prevent him from finishing his shows in that manner. Certainly the ‘black collar’ media types would prevent him for drinking & smoking on camera. I maintain however, that his closing words were wisely chosen.

Dave Allen

Slainte, David, me bhoyo!

Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist
http://www.ripperologist.info

Harry Mann
Detective Sergeant
Username: Harry

Post Number: 62
Posted on Tuesday, March 29, 2005 - 4:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dave Allen was talented and funny and will be missed.He showed that humour has no bounderies.
Brad,
You,ll have the Australians at your throat.Paul Hogan was a well known Aussie comic.

Neal Stubbings
Inspector
Username: Neal

Post Number: 191
Posted on Tuesday, March 29, 2005 - 2:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dave Allen was a class act, and so sad that yet another non politically correct comedian has gone. I can feel glad I am part of a generation that can remember funny comedians and comedy shows. When the two Ronnies are gone, what's left to laugh at?
Peter Kay, Johnny Vegas...not funny!
The Office - overrated. And am I the only one that thinks that Little Britain is the same jokes repeated every week?

Dave Allen like Eric Morecombe, Spike Milligan, Kenny Everett etc... will be missed

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Severn

Post Number: 1743
Posted on Tuesday, March 29, 2005 - 6:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I remember a hillarious sketch he did not that long ago[about 6 years or so ago].
Two men were talking about dope in a Central Park
New York. "Hey "says one "I got some lousy sh*t
today-real lousy sh*t - know any one selling Sh*t round here? Other man looking thoughtful "Weird that-my sh*t"s been crap too.....ugggh ...ugggh
hang on I"ve just trod in some dog doo doo -whats that we were saying about sh*t?

Clive Appleby
Sergeant
Username: Clive

Post Number: 23
Posted on Thursday, April 21, 2005 - 6:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks to all for recalling some of Dave Allen's gags and sketches, all of which are "Pure Dave Allen" and bring back the memories. (Also not forgetting his regular sketch "sidekicks", Michael Sharvell-Martin, the fair-haired feller with the moustache,and Ronnie Brodie, the little chap).

Another sketch I recall, which some may remember, (and a narrative can't really do it justice, so you have to use quite a bit of imagination) was as follows:

A man is casually walking along the street when he notices a ten pound note stuck under the wheel of a parked car. Try as he might, there was no way he could remove it without the note being torn. Too big a prize to give up, he goes into a cafe across the road.

Despite the cafe being busy, he gets a seat by the window, orders a coffee and waits and watches for the driver of the car to turn up and drive off, thus freeing up the ten pound note.

Time passes, he orders another coffee and then another, but still no sign of the driver. Eventually, at long last, after what must have been a good couple of hours, what he has been waiting for at last. The owner of the car arrives, gets in and drives off.

The man makes his move and rushes towards the door. Only trouble is, the twenty or so other people in the cafe (and the waiter for that matter)also rush towards the door at the same time, all obviously having seen the "trapped tenner" and then playing the same waiting game. The result is a huge pile up of bodies in the cafe doorway !

Clive

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.