Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

BTK Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Shades of Whitechapel » BTK « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through April 14, 2004Aleta Gayle25 4-14-04  5:23 am
Archive through February 27, 2005Dan Norder50 2-27-05  5:51 am
Archive through March 05, 2005Diana 50 3-05-05  7:41 pm
Archive through March 13, 2005Jeff Hamm50 3-13-05  2:28 pm
Archive through August 14, 2005Stanley D. Reid50 8-14-05  5:53 pm
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Diana
Chief Inspector
Username: Diana

Post Number: 742
Posted on Sunday, August 14, 2005 - 7:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I felt funny too. He talked about awful things in the same tone of voice you would use to talk about watering the lawn. We've discussed psychopaths and what they're like a lot. But this is the first time I ever saw one talking about his crimes. I saw all the characteristics I had read about and that was interesting but he gave me the creeps.

I feel so sorry for his wife and kids.

Christopher T George
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 1617
Posted on Friday, August 19, 2005 - 1:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Diana et al.:

Diana you wrote: "He [Dennis Rader aka the BTK killer] talked about awful things in the same tone of voice you would use to talk about watering the lawn."

I think one of the frightening things about BTK is the practical way he ran his life, sectioning off his "secret life" from his other pursuits as an enforcer of local laws, church leader, and boy scout leader. There are overlaps in that he appears to have been punctilious and detail oriented in everything he did.

Rader was a Wichita local official with officious ways, who loved to bully neighbors about perceived infractions on their property. So he manifested control over them in a similar manner to the way he liked to control his murder victims.

I have a poet acquaintance, Carol Sircoulomb, who lives in Wichita and from what I gather may have been one of his victims (the link shows a view of her house) if what she said in a recent poem is true. I gather that Rader might have destroyed a sculpture of hers and killed her cats -- not the only case where he destroyed pets belonging to members of the community. The whole area feels raped by this guy who liked to control people's lives even if he did not actually physically kill them. A sleazy process. -- And he hopes one day God will forgive him.

All my best

Chris
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist
http://www.ripperologist.info
http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/

David O'Flaherty
Chief Inspector
Username: Oberlin

Post Number: 989
Posted on Friday, August 19, 2005 - 1:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris and Diana,

Yes indeed, yesterday the manipulative nature of serial killers was on display big-time. I caught profiler Pat Brown on CNN last night. When she recommends that we just discount anything that comes out of Rader's mouth, I completely agree with her.

Dave

Howard Brown
Chief Inspector
Username: Howard

Post Number: 818
Posted on Friday, August 19, 2005 - 5:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dave O'...Just a brief note..I wouldn't totally disregard what came out of Rader's mouth. This guy may be the forerunner of the next batch of serial killers. Could we expect to see more like this type [ control freak,adjusted citizen,etc..] and less of the drifter-misfit-fringe type? Rader was a stay at home s.k.... Consider the changes in American society since September of 2001..there has been a sobering in and of society that seems to have extended to all areas of our lives...A sort of 'domesticated' type..Yes,I know that he didn't shrink from society as Gacy didn't either...but this Rader stopped,whereas Gacy didn't...Thats the scary thought: Control freak s.k.'s who can stop.

Do you see what I'm driving at,buddy?

David O'Flaherty
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 991
Posted on Friday, August 19, 2005 - 6:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I sure do, Howard. You should check Pat Brown out sometime--she's a profiler who questions some of the generally accepted conventions profilers have. The thing about profiling is that their data is limited, yet so many people take their conclusions as gospel. You can say that based on the cases we know about, it's rare that s.k.'s stop. Somehow that turned into some sort of rule--all serial killers can't stop--as if serial killers play by some sort of rulebook.

So I wouldn't say Rader's a forerunner or represents some new type of serial killer. He just seems like he does, but really, he only illustrates that we don't know a lot about s.k.'s. Where there's one guy who stopped, then there are others who have, too. They just never surfaced. There will always be exceptions to every rule.

Cheers,
Dave

Howard Brown
Chief Inspector
Username: Howard

Post Number: 820
Posted on Friday, August 19, 2005 - 6:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ahh..thats what I meant,but only you said it the right way.

I hope I am wrong about the "forerunner" statement. There are a whole hell of a lot of Rader-types in this world.

Thanks for putting the words in order Dave...

Diana
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 749
Posted on Saturday, August 20, 2005 - 9:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Of course you are assuming he stopped. The death penalty was restored in Kansas in '94(?),'95 (?). His last admitted killing was in '91. He has a powerful incentive for not mentioning anything he did after that time.

However, I think Rader teaches us three things:

1. You can create your own comfort zone by choosing an area and cruising till you are familiar with it. You don't have to live there or work there.

2. The characterization of SK's as loners with no social connections is inaccurate.

3. If DR indeed did quit after a time then it is possible to quit. One should note his explanation for why he quit. He said age was creeping up on him and he no longer had the strength. As disgusting as it is to talk about this, please recall that even as a young man he found it difficult physically to strangle people. He did exercises to increase muscle strength in his hands. As old age gradually arrived (DR is 60 as we speak) his physical strength would have diminished. It is probable that the inclination was still there but the ability to carry it out was lessened. In that sense all uncaught SK's are, in the end, forced to quit.

David O'Flaherty
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 992
Posted on Saturday, August 20, 2005 - 10:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Diana,

I think any evidence of post-1994 activity would have turned up in Rader's "Mother Lode" of memorabilia. You can bet the Sedgewick Co. D.A. would have seized on any possibilities there. She's not happy with the 175 years and on sentencing day while being interviewed by MSNBC, the D.A. suggested that Rader might be murdered in prison, like Dahmer.

If Rader lives, profiler Pat Brown suspects that one day he'll claim more murders, not because he did them, but rather to receive attention from police and some time outside the prison system, on "field trips" to visit crime scenes.

I don't think I agree with your old age theory, Diana. 60's not old. In 1994 he was 49. The explanation about his hands seems dubious to me.

Stanley D. Reid
Inspector
Username: Sreid

Post Number: 268
Posted on Saturday, August 20, 2005 - 10:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello all,

Well, I guess the BTK appreciation tour is finally over, that is, until the civil cases begin.

His correspondence with authorities and mentions of victims being at his service in the afterlife made it seem he was copycating Zodiac who may have gone uncaught because he quit.

Profilers need thousands of more cases before they can even hope to be doing much more than taking educated guesses. They seem now to be wrong more often than right.

Goodies,

Stan

Stanley D. Reid
Inspector

Post Number: 269
Posted on Saturday, August 20, 2005 - 11:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

P.S.

I agree that 60 is not too old. I'm 59 and I can do more chinups now than I could do when I was in high school. It depends on how you take care of yourself.

Stan

Frank van Oploo
Chief Inspector
Username: Franko

Post Number: 733
Posted on Saturday, August 20, 2005 - 11:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Diana,

The characterization of SK's as loners with no social connections is inaccurate.

If you mean by this that it's not necessarily true, then I agree; if you mean it's plain incorrect, then I don't.

Frank

"There's gotta be a lot of reasons why I shouldn't shoot you, but right now I can't think of one."

- Clint Eastwood, in 'The Rookie' (1990)

Diana
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 750
Posted on Saturday, August 20, 2005 - 4:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just turned sixty. I don't think I have the physical strength I had at 25. I'm glad you think I'm not old.

Actually, I went back to college about 18 mo's ago. It's really fun the second time around. I'm going to get (Lord willing) another degree. I felt funny at first sitting in class with all those 18 year olds but as I went on I found more people my age. I also have a 4.0 which I certainly never came near getting as a young person.

Rader himself said he'd tapered off because of declining strength. He said that in the psychologist interview on TV.

I assume (without the benefit of experience!) that when a person is fighting for their life, with a lot of adrenalin involved they would not be terribly easy to subdue.

Surely you don't suggest that SK's that live on into their 80's and 90's are still killing people?

David O'Flaherty
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 993
Posted on Saturday, August 20, 2005 - 5:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That's cool you went back to college, Diana. I hope you're enjoying it.

I dont' know anything about active 90 year old serial killers. What I'm suggesting here is that serial killers can stop for reasons we don't really understand. I don't think questioning them is particularly useful because they lie. They're manipulators. So when this guy says he quit because of declining strength (and therefore he didn't really quit, rather age just caught up to him), it doesn't make sense to me because he was only in his late 40s at the time of his last murder. Actually detectives are now saying that Rader told them he was planning to kill someone else in Oct 2004 but couldn't get to her. I guess he thought he was still in good enough shape, if that story's true. If the Wichita Eagle had never run that 30th anniversary piece, I wonder if Rader would have just remained dormant, content with hassling people about their lawns, etc. Maybe instead of compulsion being the primary motivation, choice played a role somehow.

Anyway, we'll no longer be able to say with quite as much confidence that because the Whitechapel murders stopped, that must mean that the Ripper moved away, was imprisoned, or died. Don't get me wrong, that's a totally reasonable suggestion, but it's not necessarily so. It's no longer quite so far-fetched to speculate that he could have remained right there in London and just not killed again.

Diana
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 751
Posted on Saturday, August 20, 2005 - 7:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Frank I agree with you. We can no longer assume that all SK's are loners with no social connections.

Frank van Oploo
Chief Inspector
Username: Franko

Post Number: 737
Posted on Saturday, August 20, 2005 - 8:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

English not being my native tongue, I just wasn't sure, Diana. Thanks for your response.

Frank
"There's gotta be a lot of reasons why I shouldn't shoot you, but right now I can't think of one."

- Clint Eastwood, in 'The Rookie' (1990)

Diana
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 752
Posted on Sunday, August 21, 2005 - 7:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Frank, it isn't your English. I reread my post and I really didn't express myself well.

Diana
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 753
Posted on Monday, August 22, 2005 - 10:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have been asking myself this since February when Rader was arrested. Would Dennis Rader be attracted to the Casebook?

Has he visited this website?

Might he not even be one of us posting quite regularly under a pseudonym?

Of course if he would, he has and he is, his posts will now cease abruptly. He might have had access to the internet before his conviction and sentencing (I hear that in some jails they even have cable TV.) but if the prosecutor is now demanding that he not even be given crayons . . .

Diana
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 755
Posted on Tuesday, August 23, 2005 - 2:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

BTK a poster on these boards?

I have been asking myself this since February when Rader was arrested. Would Dennis Rader be attracted to the Casebook?

Has he visited this website?

Might he not even be one of us posting quite regularly under a pseudonym?

Of course if he would, he has and he is, his posts will now cease abruptly. He might have had access to the internet before his conviction and sentencing (I hear that in some jails they even have cable TV.) but if the prosecutor is now demanding that he not even be given crayons . . .

Double post? No. I just thought the lead line ought to attract more interest.

Stanley D. Reid
Inspector

Post Number: 281
Posted on Wednesday, August 24, 2005 - 6:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey, let's all get our Betamaxes fired up for the BTK movie due out in October. Isn't The Hunt for the BTK Killer mildly redundant?

Goodies

Stan

Diana
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 764
Posted on Tuesday, August 30, 2005 - 2:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh dear. I had such faith in the profilers. Look at this link. http://johnsville.blogspot.com/2005/03/profiling-is-junk-science-there-has-to.html It lists a whole bunch of profiles done by professionals before BTK was caught. I'm afraid none of them were very close.

I'm still hopeful that in time with a larger database profiling will come into its own.

Dan Norder
Chief Inspector
Username: Dannorder

Post Number: 868
Posted on Tuesday, August 30, 2005 - 4:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Diana,

While I certainly advise caution in taking profiles too dogmatically (as I did in this thread about the whole "he must have been locked up" thing and so forth) it's worth noting that quite a few of the things that blogger you linked to claimed were wrong actually were not.

So the guy is handpicking things that were wrong and ignoring parts that were right and even there is making mistakes in what he picks. That's not really a good way to do things.

I think profiling can be a tremendous help, it just needs to have more data collected first and then toss out some of the nonsense picked up from interviewing a tiny number of them long ago that could not be confirmed by outside sources. And then even there it'd be a guideline for the kinds of things we should expect, not hard and fast rules.
Dan Norder, Editor
Ripper Notes: The International Journal for Ripper Studies
 Profile    Email    Dissertations    Website

Stanley D. Reid
Inspector

Post Number: 426
Posted on Monday, October 03, 2005 - 5:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all,

BTK was just one of many of the profiles gotten wrong. They need to get a new coin to flip.

The BTK movie is on next Sunday (2005OC09) at your local CBS station. I don't know about you but my DVD recorder is all programed.

Goodies,

Stan

Stanley D. Reid
Inspector

Post Number: 437
Posted on Wednesday, October 12, 2005 - 7:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LAME LAME LAME!! In my opinion. The actor was OK though.

Stan

Diana
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 817
Posted on Wednesday, October 12, 2005 - 10:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've seen better and worse. Remember they had to cobble some parts together at the last minute.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.