Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

"One Day Men Will Look Back and Say..... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Letters and Communications » "One Day Men Will Look Back and Say.... « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Maryanne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, September 27, 2003 - 11:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

...I gave birth to the twentieth Century."

This is a quote from the film "From Hell." Does anyone actually know whether it is supposedly something Jack the Ripper wrote in one of his letters, or whether it was something just created solely for Hollywood. I have the book "Letters from Hell" and "The Diary of Jack the Ripper" but can find nothing along those lines.

I'd be grateful if someone could enlighten me.

David O'Flaherty
Detective Sergeant
Username: Oberlin

Post Number: 145
Posted on Saturday, September 27, 2003 - 11:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Maryanne

That line doesn't come from any of the letters. I never read the original graphic novel the movie's based on, but that might be the source for it. There was a discussion about this on the old boards, but I don't remember what was said. Maybe if someone remembers, they'll post.

Dave

Maryanne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2003 - 4:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi David, thanks for that. It was probably just made up for Hollywood then. It was a good "quote" anyway. And I did enjoy the film too.

Chris Scott
Chief Inspector
Username: Chris

Post Number: 576
Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2003 - 3:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

According to one site I visited, the full quote runs as follows:

Below the skin of history are London’s veins. These symbols, the mitre, the pentacle star, even to someone as ignorant and degenerate as you can sense that they course with energy... and meaning.
I am that meaning.
I am that energy.
One day, men will look back and say that I gave birth to the 20th Century."

-Jack The Ripper

but this did not cast any light on its origin

David O'Flaherty
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 146
Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2003 - 4:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Checking the archives, Tim Mosley thought it was originally from the 1979 movie Time After Time. That rings a bell, I seem to remember David Warner as JtR saying something about belonging in the 20th century.

Dave

David O'Flaherty
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 147
Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2003 - 4:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A poster at Hollywood Ripper jogged my memory. In the 1979 movie, Stephenson's watching television and says something like "this is my world". Maybe it inspired the screenwriter for From Hell to come up with his line, which is a pretty good one, really--though I didn't care for the film as entertainment. DVD's good to have though, for the Evans/Rumbelow extra and for having a closer look at the sets, which were lost on me when I first saw the film.

Time After Time is also an inaccurate movie, but I thought its screenplay was more enjoyable than From Hell's.

Good night, sweet prince
Dave

Maryanne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2003 - 6:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've seen quite a few films of Jack the Ripper, documentaries too. My favourite film is "From Hell" - not sure if I've seen "Time After Time" but there was one film on Sky that I thought really good too, except for the prince burning a horse alive, that really bothered me! I've read all the suspect list now and perhaps the real "ripper" isn't even listed there.

Thanks for the full quote Chris, even more intriguing! It must've derived from somewhere! lol

Andrew Spallek
Inspector
Username: Aspallek

Post Number: 159
Posted on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 10:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am sure that this is an apocryphal quote attributed to JTR. It, however, struck me as wholly inapplicable since the Whitechapel killings were more than 12 years earlier than the start of the 20th century (which technically began on Jan. 1, 1901). That would have been quite a premature "birth."

Andy

Alan Sharp
Sergeant
Username: Ash

Post Number: 33
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2003 - 6:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm sure Jack must have had some great lines given to him over the years though. My favourite would be Sebastian in Babylon 5: Comes The Inquisitor

"The city was drowning in decay. Chaos, immorality. A message needed to be sent, etched in blood for all the world to see. A warning. In the pursuit of my holy cause, I... did things, terrible things, unspeakable things. The world condemned me, but it didn't matter, because I believed I was right and the world was wrong. I believed I was the divine messenger. I believed I was... chosen"

Any others?

Maryanne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 6:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes it was a bit premature of him, but it sort of made sense and was certainly a powerful line - pity if he didn't actually say that! lmao! But there's lots of other very interesting quotes from his "letters" and or "diary."

Janni
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2003 - 3:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi everyone!
I´m still sure that I heard or read that quote or the sense of it somewhere before "From Hell".And it did not come from any other movie, I think that it was mentioned in a documentary about the Whitechapel murders I saw some time ago.It is just that this quote feels so well-known to me...and of course if you look at 20th century and all it´s wars and genocides you can totally agree to that quote.

Liam Colligan
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, May 03, 2004 - 2:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi there,
I agree with Janni. I am familiar with this quote and I'm certain that I first came across it around 1990-91 when I initially became interested in JTR. I'm not quite sure where I've heard it but I'm sure it wasn't from a movie. My best guess is that I probably first read it in a true-crime magazine such 'Murder Most Foul' of 'True Detective'. When I first watched 'From Hell', I immediately recalled it as a quote from a Ripper letter but I must be wrong as it would have been instantly recognised. I hope you find its source Maryanne! Could it possibly be a line from the alledged Maybrick diary?

Later!

Natalie Severn
Chief Inspector
Username: Severn

Post Number: 784
Posted on Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 10:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No lesser figure than George Bernard Shaw,writer and thinker.Shaw also lectured at the International Working Mens Club in Berner Street.
I also think the reference is on the casebook somewhere[probably under Writers or journalists].
Natalie

Vlad
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, June 02, 2004 - 4:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

if i am pretty sure that quote comes from a diary of jack the ripper it was writen by james maybrick

Summoner
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, December 26, 2004 - 7:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The MOVIE is #1 !!!
I'm big IAN HOLM FANATIC and I think he played Jack the Ripper sooo good! Actually, I think noone can play it better!
Cheers FANATICS !!! :-)

Sylvia
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, February 06, 2005 - 9:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I too find this quote very firmiliar.. but I was so sure I got it from this site & not From Hell... but now that I think of it.. yaa maybe it was from the movie, wasn't it in the begining? Well it's an awesome quote, and I would really love if Jack had actually utterd that very sentence.

Does anyone have good quotes that they know JTR really said??

DK
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, April 04, 2005 - 6:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just wanted to congradulate whoever made up the quote" One day men will look back ECT ECT ECT" It might not be the ripper's qoute, but it is a ripper of a qoute. I am using it in Emails and such. Well done whoever wrote it.

Catherine Ann
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, August 27, 2005 - 10:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

lmao! I originally posted this topic under Maryanne. I've now finished one other book about the ripper not being the ripper etc., i.e. "The Killer Who Never Was." I don't get enough time to read lots of books, too busy with my son and the computer! But will be attempting to read the Maybrick diary next. I know these diaries were dismissed as fake, but like anything, there's always a possibility they could be genuine. I'll be able to see if the expression comes from this book!

Caroline Anne Morris
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Caz

Post Number: 2072
Posted on Tuesday, August 30, 2005 - 1:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Catherine,

It's just the one diary, you'll be pleased to know.

The interest these days is mainly in trying to guess, or hopefully to establish, how recently it could have been penned.

Love,

Caz
X

Phil Hill
Chief Inspector
Username: Phil

Post Number: 772
Posted on Tuesday, August 30, 2005 - 4:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Catherine Ann

...but like anything, there's always a possibility they could be genuine.

With that uncritical an attitude, you'll be taken in by every schyster who wrote a book about "Jack".

Phil

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.