Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Deeming/JTR Letters Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Letters and Communications » Deeming/JTR Letters « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

M.Mc.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 11:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey someone sent this to me in my E-mail and I thought I should share it with you all too. I had to cut it into to get it on this form, it was too large in one piece. It's a letter by Deeming and the Jack the Ripper letter. I'm not giving any point of veiw of my own here. I'll let you all rip it apart like Jack the Ripper himself. (Pun very much meant here) Anyway, I want to hear the replies to it to see if anyone says what I'm thinking. So enjoy the letters...

Merisa
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, December 07, 2004 - 11:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Um..Wow. Very close in my opinion *the similarites of their writing* Who emailed this to you? If so, sources?

Maria Giordano
Detective Sergeant
Username: Mariag

Post Number: 146
Posted on Tuesday, December 07, 2004 - 12:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't see it at all.Given that people were taught handwriting (I believe) in the same way, I see little resemblence between the two.

In general the Ripper letter is much more legible and neat. This is one reason it's suspect--the writer wanted to make sure that the newspaper understood every word.

Look at the capital "I" in each letter. In L1(Deeming) The top of the letter is open and goes to the left. In L2( Ripper) it is closed around the body of the letter.

Look at the word "the" in each. in L1 it's clear that the t is made by an initial upstroke.In L2 the words "the,they(twice)talk and track" all start the t at the top and go down. That's the way I make my ts. Also if you compare the 2 "the"s you can see that in L1 the "t" and"h" are separate leters although the crossbar of the t hits the h while in L2 the t and h are made together as one penstroke.

Frustrating that there aren't more words in common between the documents and VERY frustrating to have to try to express this just in written words.
Mags

Andrew Spallek
Chief Inspector
Username: Aspallek

Post Number: 669
Posted on Friday, December 10, 2004 - 12:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I agree, Mags. I see little or no similarity.

Andy S.

Nicholas Smith
Police Constable
Username: Diddles

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, June 14, 2005 - 1:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

G'day guys,

I know this is just a little bit late to enter into this discussion, but all of Deeming's, Williams, Swansons, Druinn's letters were ordered to be destroyed by the magistrate who sentenced him to be hanged at the Old Melbourne gaol.

I have been trying to track down relatives of his lawyers to see if they have any documents which Deeming might have written. I was able to find one but he didn't have a clue who his great, great grandfather was let alone being a lawyer for Deeming.

There is another lead I'm trying to follow up and that is that Deeming stayed with an uncle of his in a place called Cooma, just outside of Canberra. He was a Minister living there at the time and it's quite possible there might have been some documents passed down through the generations which might shed some light on this issue.

Sincerely
Diddles

Nicholas Smith
Police Constable

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, June 14, 2005 - 1:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

P.S. Copies of both his Wills are still available, however they are only newspaper copies, not hand-written.

Diddles

Nicholas Smith
Police Constable

Post Number: 10
Posted on Wednesday, June 15, 2005 - 10:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Apologies all, I have come across one of the last letter Deeming wrote to Kate on 14 March 1892. I'll write the whole article from Ripperoo under dissertations tomorrow.

Diddles

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.