Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Barnett had a key Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Suspects » Barnett, Joseph » Barnett had a key « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

steve murray
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, December 20, 2003 - 10:03 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have just finished reading Paley's book and maybe I have missed this on the boards, but Paley says the police took photos of kelly after removing the side window of the room before the door was smashed open. this must tell us that the door had a mortice lock which required a key to open it, otherwise, whilst the window was removed for the photos the police would have simply entered through the window and flicked the (Yale) type latch. It would also be handy to know which way the door opened into the room, if it opened against the window Barnett and Kelly could never have reached that far inside the broken glass to flick a latch as it would be on the part of the door furthest away from the window. I feel that Joe had the key and it was a mortice type lock, otherwise macarthy would never have smashd his own door in with an axe. can anyone please shed more light on this.

Shannon Christopher
Inspector
Username: Shannon

Post Number: 331
Posted on Monday, December 22, 2003 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Steve, the door to Kelly's room was hinged from the side closest to the entrance of the court with the latch side located approx 12 - 18 inches from the corner of the wall with the broken window. It would have been possible for someone of Joe's size to reach the latch through the broken window.

The description of smashing the door is a bit of a mis-statement. McCarthy more pried the door open then smashed it in. If it would have come to having to destroy the property McCarthy or one of Arnold's men would have reached through the broken glass and opened the latch. It was clearly visible from the window where the police stood.

Shannon

Frank van Oploo
Detective Sergeant
Username: Franko

Post Number: 80
Posted on Monday, December 22, 2003 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi there Steve,

On the opening page of the Message Boards, under 'General Discussion' there's a thread called 'The mystery of the key' which might be of interest to you.

All the best,
Frank

ffd
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, January 26, 2004 - 6:50 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hello i think that miss scarlot did it with the candlestick in the ballroom as mr mustard bought a hooker for the night. do u all agree wid me i think so

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.