Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Joseph Barnett number one suspect?. Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Suspects » Barnett, Joseph » Joseph Barnett number one suspect?. « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through March 29, 2003Leanne Perry25 3-29-03  3:36 am
Archive through April 01, 2003Monty25 4-01-03  8:36 am
Archive through April 06, 2003Leanne Perry25 4-06-03  4:39 pm
Archive through April 26, 2003AP Wolf25 4-26-03  1:29 pm
Archive through April 29, 2003Robert Charles Linfo25 4-29-03  3:10 pm
Archive through April 30, 2003Marie Finlay25 4-30-03  2:57 pm
Archive through May 01, 2003Leanne Perry25 5-01-03  5:14 pm
Archive through May 05, 2003Robert Charles Linfo25 5-05-03  2:04 pm
Archive through May 09, 2003Leanne Perry25 5-09-03  5:39 am
Archive through May 09, 2003Marie Finlay25 5-09-03  3:06 pm
Archive through May 12, 2003SirRobertAnderson25 5-12-03  11:23 am
Archive through May 14, 2003Scott Nelson25 5-14-03  10:00 am
Archive through May 17, 2003Leanne Perry25 5-17-03  5:47 am
Archive through May 20, 2003Leanne Perry25 5-20-03  9:15 pm
Archive through June 07, 2003Bob Hinton25 6-07-03  6:41 am
Archive through June 08, 2003Chris Scott25 6-08-03  7:16 pm
Archive through June 11, 2003Chris Scott25 6-11-03  10:33 am
Archive through June 16, 2003Caroline Anne Morris25 6-16-03  12:24 pm
Archive through June 22, 2003Leanne Perry25 6-22-03  4:32 am
Archive through June 30, 2003Valerie S25 6-30-03  7:10 pm
Archive through July 09, 2003Caroline Anne Morris25 7-09-03  4:48 am
Archive through October 26, 2003AP Wolf25 10-26-03  5:55 am
Archive through October 26, 2003Shannon Christopher25 10-26-03  10:12 pm
Archive through October 31, 2003Robert Charles Linfo25 10-31-03  3:37 am
Archive through November 04, 2003Sarah Long25 11-04-03  9:17 am
Archive through November 06, 2003Donald Souden25 11-06-03  3:16 pm
Archive through November 12, 2003Leanne Perry25 11-12-03  3:40 am
Archive through November 17, 2003Shannon Christopher25 11-17-03  12:48 pm
Archive through November 23, 2003Shannon Christopher25 11-23-03  12:37 pm
Archive through November 27, 2003Leanne Perry25 11-27-03  5:42 am
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Sarah Long
Detective Sergeant
Username: Sarah

Post Number: 132
Posted on Thursday, November 27, 2003 - 6:02 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Leanne,

I agree with what you are saying but I am still curious as to how there first meeting may have gone.

Sarah

Leanne Perry
Chief Inspector
Username: Leanne

Post Number: 953
Posted on Thursday, November 27, 2003 - 6:23 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

G'day Sarah,

Well that's where your fiction is going to have to come into this, because no one will ever know!

LEANNE

Sarah Long
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 135
Posted on Thursday, November 27, 2003 - 7:38 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Leanne,

Hmmm, my vain attempt at using other people's ideas has failed. Oh darn!! I'm having ideas. I don't think it's going to matter to much though in this story but I have to form some vague idea. I keep thinking about how I'm putting Mary across and she keeps coming across as a materialistic girl who just uses Joe. This is probably true but I don't want to make her out to be the bad guy. It's from Joe's point of view and he's coming across as pretty pathetic and obsessed with her I can say!! Haven't written much so far but I already know how Kate's murder comes about.

Sarah

Monty
Inspector
Username: Monty

Post Number: 423
Posted on Thursday, November 27, 2003 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sarah,

What do you mean by "It would be obvious if someone was splashing out in there"?

Buying the rounds....its the first thing you ladies notice.

Monty
:-)

Sarah Long
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 139
Posted on Thursday, November 27, 2003 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Monty,

Ok, first of all I've never paid any attention to how much other men were spending anywhere and secondly, it says they met on Commercial Street (Opps I said Road before). It says right here on the casebook :-

"Good Friday, April 8, 1887: Joseph Barnett meets Mary Jane Kelly for the first time in Commercial Street. He takes her for a drink and arranges to meet her the following day. At their second meeting they arrange to live together."

Where does it say that they were in a pub?

Sarah

Monty
Inspector

Post Number: 426
Posted on Thursday, November 27, 2003 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sarah,

So they went for a milkshake ?

Interesting, he picks her up in Commercial st. If I tried that I'd have copped a.....unless she was on duty.

You never pay much attention to how much men spend ?

My God, you really do rely on a good sense of humour !!

Monty

Sarah Long
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 143
Posted on Thursday, November 27, 2003 - 12:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Monty,

I've never thought to pay any attention to how much men spend?

I just wanted to point out that they didn't meet in a pub, they were on the street, so why would Mary pursue Joe on the street?

Sarah

P.S. Stop trying to post faster than me.

Monty
Inspector

Post Number: 428
Posted on Thursday, November 27, 2003 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sarah, oh young innocent Sarah !!

Yes, you are right. Joe picked Mary up on the street. They then went for a drink. Do you think Ms Kelly would be paying ?

Nah, neither do I.

They were there long enough to decide that they want to live together....how long do you suppose that would have taken?

You should pay attention...how are you going to bag that Millionaire ?

Monty

PS Do try and keep up !!

Sarah Long
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 146
Posted on Thursday, November 27, 2003 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Monty poor old Monty,

Actually, they decided to meet up again the next day and it was then that they decided to live together. Ok, maybe Mary noticed that Joe had a bit of money once in the pub, but what I was asking was how they got in there in the first place is Joe wasn't looking for a prostitute?

Sarah

Monty
Inspector

Post Number: 431
Posted on Thursday, November 27, 2003 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My dear lady,

Sarah,

What, you got the book with you or something ?

OK, the next day then. It just seems odd that you agree to shack up with someone you had only met the day before. Unless they knew each other prior to that.

If so then why lie ?

Monty

Sarah Long
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 149
Posted on Thursday, November 27, 2003 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Monty,

He had obviously taken a shine to her and she had the choice of going to live with a man with whom could look after her or stay on the streets. It's not like it is now. Back then people would move in with each other not long after knowing each other, although I must admit that one day is not long even then. I don't think they knew each other before though.

Sarah

Monty
Inspector

Post Number: 433
Posted on Thursday, November 27, 2003 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sarah,

But we are talking Whitechapel here. Everyone is suspcious of those they dont know.

Monty...who is leaving you now cos he has to prepare for an IUC...in other words....WORK !!

Leanne Perry
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 954
Posted on Thursday, November 27, 2003 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

G'day Sarah,

You're on the right track here! You're writing a fiction novel that tries to stay close to fact. You should point that out at the begining of your book. No one will ever be able to know the facts 100%, because no one was there with a tape recorder. Hopefully you'll be writing a movie script one day!

That's what I liked about 'From Hell'. It never claimed to be fact!

LEANNE

(Message edited by Leanne on November 27, 2003)

Sarah Long
Inspector

Post Number: 151
Posted on Friday, November 28, 2003 - 4:35 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Leanne,

Yes that is true. I'm trying to write the fiction around the facts. I'm doing a Patricia Cornwell in a way, making Joe fit in with the facts and evidence, however I'm not saying THIS IS WHAT HAPPENED. Thankfully, I've always been more interested in writing fiction and so I won't be doing a Patricia Cornwell and suddenly write a book and claim that I have solved it - CASE CLOSED!!

Sarah

Sarah Long
Inspector

Post Number: 153
Posted on Friday, November 28, 2003 - 4:40 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Monty,

Actually, I think they were more suspicious of people who weren't from around there. Why would someone who was a bit more upper class want to go into Whitechapel unless they had a death wish.

Sarah

Leanne Perry
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 958
Posted on Friday, November 28, 2003 - 7:26 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

G'day Sarah,

Patricia Cornwell wrote a book closely looking at her suspect, but failed to study the Ripper case enough to know that most, if not all, Ripper letters were hoaxed. Sickert may have been so intrigued by the case, that he did hoax a letter or two. Artists are weird people!

You are doing the right thing by studying the case first!

LEANNE

Leanne Perry
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 959
Posted on Friday, November 28, 2003 - 7:33 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

(Message edited by Leanne on November 28, 2003)

Sarah Long
Inspector

Post Number: 160
Posted on Friday, November 28, 2003 - 7:37 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Leanne,

If in doubt, post it twice!!

There's something I'm puzzled about to do with Bruce Paley's book. He suggests that Joe wrote some of the letters. Personally, I think that is Joe was the killer he wasn't trying to get fame or anything, just the woman he loved, so I don't see why he would have written any of them.

Sarah

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 1413
Posted on Friday, November 28, 2003 - 7:47 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Sarah

If Paley was right about Joe's motives - to keep Mary off the streets - then it would have made sense for Joe to write letters to the police, Press etc, wouldn't it? All the more scary for Mary!

I myself don't think Paley was right, but the letter-writing seems to hang well with the theory. What doesn't hang well with the theory, is that Mary never personally received any letters.

Robert

Leanne Perry
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 960
Posted on Friday, November 28, 2003 - 7:54 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

G'day Sarah,

What happened was: I typed my message, previewed and posted it, then went to make a cup of coffee, came back and forgot that I'd already posted it! So I edited the 2nd one and posted a blank!

Yeah I disagree with that belief of Paley's about the letters too!

LEANNE

Sarah Long
Inspector

Post Number: 162
Posted on Friday, November 28, 2003 - 9:27 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Maybe he sent the lusk letter because he saw how the fake letters scared Mary so he thought that by sending his own with a kidney enclosed would scare her more. The thing I want to know is, if Joe was the Ripper, what did he do with the other body parts he had taken from the other bodies?

Sarah

(Message edited by sarah on November 28, 2003)

Monty
Inspector

Post Number: 435
Posted on Friday, November 28, 2003 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sarah,

Actually, I think they were more suspicious of people who weren't from around there. Why would someone who was a bit more upper class want to go into Whitechapel unless they had a death wish.

Slumming Sarah, slumming !!

Monty

Sarah Long
Inspector

Post Number: 167
Posted on Friday, November 28, 2003 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Monty,

Well if that's what they were into.

Sarah

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.