Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Barnett - NOT the first copycat Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Suspects » Barnett, Joseph » Barnett - NOT the first copycat « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through August 21, 2005Phil Hill50 8-21-05  4:26 am
Archive through September 02, 2005Phil Hill50 9-02-05  4:06 pm
Archive through September 07, 2005Chris Phillips50 9-07-05  12:05 pm
Archive through September 11, 2005Ally50 9-11-05  1:18 pm
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Apwolf

Post Number: 2501
Posted on Sunday, September 11, 2005 - 4:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Gareth
Running on that theme, I have found this interesting little case of 'Murder at Godalming' from 9th January 1889, where a supposed 'artist' named Jenkins lures his 'sweetheart' to his studio, brutally rapes her and then strangles her.
The police report on the event states that 'The prisoner's mind had been affected by reading accounts of the Whitechapel Murders.'

This report sort of says to me that maybe you are right, that a copycat killer would not always cause the massive carnage that was MJK, but rather use a germ of that carnage to carry his strange purpose.

Perhaps more importantly I would say is the fact that a young chap is using the crimes of the Whitechapel Murderer to engage and employ his sexual fantasy, which sort of tells me that many folk in the LVP did see Jack's crimes as inherently sexual in nature, even if we don't today.

Dan Norder
Chief Inspector
Username: Dannorder

Post Number: 890
Posted on Sunday, September 11, 2005 - 9:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris P,

It's sad how you keep talking about how I supposedly refuse to admit a mistake when you still falsely claim that you are right even after several different sources have been posted to show you wrong. Of course what's worse is that you are so unwilling to admit mistakes that you attack myself personally, my magazine, and anyone who responds to you to point out that you are wrong. You've got a whole insecure slash and burn mentality at work here, and it's really not doing you any good.

If you'd like to apologize to Caz, Ally, Julie, Howard, Rob and myself (and any other targets of your misplaced ire above that I may have missed), I'm sure at least most of us would be willing to forgive and forget.

Dan Norder, Editor
Ripper Notes: The International Journal for Ripper Studies
 Profile    Email    Dissertations    Website

Chris Phillips
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Cgp100

Post Number: 1391
Posted on Monday, September 12, 2005 - 3:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dan

I'll let the rest of your bizarre statements pass, otherwise this will go on forever, but please could you clarify this bit?

It's sad how you keep talking about how I supposedly refuse to admit a mistake
[my emphasis]

Does that mean you have admitted it, and I missed it, or do you still claim that "straight jacket" is the "more preferred" spelling? (In which case perhaps you meant to write "how I refuse to admit a supposed mistake".)

Chris Phillips

(Message edited by cgp100 on September 12, 2005)

Sarah Long
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Sarah

Post Number: 1343
Posted on Monday, September 12, 2005 - 6:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

*slaps Chris around the head and runs away with his socks*

I'm sorry, was the childish? I thought we were in the playground once again.

Disclaimer: Sarah Long has never slapped anyone around the head in a playground and certainly never partook in the act of sock robbery. No matter what anyone says.
Smile and the world will wonder what you've been up to
Smile too much and the world will guess

Howard Brown
Chief Inspector
Username: Howard

Post Number: 953
Posted on Monday, September 12, 2005 - 12:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Folks...

I think that A.P. Wolf's important discoveries of numerous murders and one where someone asked a woman if "she would like to be done up like the Whitechapel Murderer.." could mean this:

Not necessarily a copycat murder [ the MJK ], it may have been influenced by the Ripper. As far as someone killing MJK to make it "fit in" with the previous WM,same thing...an act influenced by the Ripper....but not to make it "fit in" on purpose........fitting this murder in so that The Ripper would get "credit" for it.

There's a line of distinction between copycatting and a murder that is similar to one previously committed.

Again,a copycat wants to intentionally emulate a crime committed. An influenced-murder is one that was committed that appears to share patterns of a prior murder[s], but is based on the influence [ made available by the two months of anxiety,gossip,and awareness ] and not consciously done.

I think A.P. has done a real service for the future here,by turning up all these other crimes.

Any thoughts?

You're a gem.A.P.

(Message edited by howard on September 12, 2005)

Glenn G. Lauritz Andersson
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Glenna

Post Number: 4018
Posted on Monday, September 12, 2005 - 12:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Howie, old boy.

"There's a line of distinction between copycatting and a murder that is similar to one previously committed.
Again,a copycat wants to intentionally emulate a crime committed. An influenced-murder is one that was committed that appears to share patterns of a prior murder[s], but is based on the influence [ made available by the two months of anxiety,gossip,and awareness ] and not consciously done."

Excellently put, and I have myself once pointed this distinction out.
I agree that the term 'copy-cat' here is a bit misleading, and it really would be more relevant to see things here in terms of 'influence' rather than deliberate, professional copycat, if now this option could be worth considering.

All the best
G. Andersson, writer/historian

Howard Brown
Chief Inspector
Username: Howard

Post Number: 955
Posted on Monday, September 12, 2005 - 1:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Glenn...

Even today, many times people [ and I have seen an instance personally ] will call back to the days of The Ripper when they get cut on knives,machines,or other things.

A guy a work cut his forearm up on metal wires used to "bale" material for the scrap pile. I remember the guy looking at his arm [ this was several years ago too...] and saying, "Damn..Looks like I got Jack The Rippered !!". The guy had zero interest in the WM...probably never saw a program on the Case or read a book or article on it...and out of the blue,my man says "Jack The Ripper"....over 110 years later. I wasn't even close to being interested as I am now in the Case either...

It didn't take long for JTR to become a cultural fixture....and he still is.

Julie
Detective Sergeant
Username: Judyj

Post Number: 135
Posted on Monday, September 12, 2005 - 4:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

AP
I agree with Howard that you have done a splendid job digging up this info on additional crimes, and it certainly could be very important for future research and discussions
with respect
Julie

Rodney Peters
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, September 13, 2005 - 9:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris Phillips.

Hello Chris

I've just returned from a short visit to relatives, and therefore only just seen your post.
I'll answer your questions one at a time.
With regard to Israel Schwartz's identification of Stride's body, I frankly find that very dubious. I've known of similar incidents close to home, where frightened passers-by have been unable to identify either victim or assailant in far better street lighting.

This guy was terrified. He comes across a man throwing a woman down on the pavement in very poor light. The man rounds upon him, and a second man appears, frightening him into running away. Is it likely, that in these brief moments, he would be looking at anything else but the men ??
He had no time for a leisurely study of the woman.
I believe that when he heard of the murder, he assumed that it must have been the incident he saw, and made the identification accordingly. How many wrong identifications have we heard of, even today ??

With regard to my failure to register, I'll say this. Firstly, "NO", I've never been banned from anything in my life.
As a keen Ripper student, I very much enjoy reading the posts on Casebook, as a hobby you might say, and occasionally, like now, make a contribution. What I "DON'T" enjoy, is the appalling manners of a number of people. I detest disrespect and bad manners in any form. As a former Army Boxer, I learned to respect others the hard way, and have also taught a few some manners in the ring. I don't register on anything, just to be given a demonstration on disrespect and insulting behaviour.

So, if I've answered all your points satisfactorily, I shall return to browsing these message boards for the simple pleasure of it.

Regards
Rod

Caroline Anne Morris
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Caz

Post Number: 2127
Posted on Monday, September 19, 2005 - 2:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi All,

Just caught up with this hilarious Barnett thread.

So it seems that, in yet another effort to insult me, Chris Phillips actually insulted Phil, when all he did was to use the alternative spelling straight, in asking me not to put him in such a jacket, to which I responded, using the same spelling, that I don't think Jack belongs in one either, on current evidence - or rather, lack of.

I think it was Frank who correctly summed up my position, ie that I don't know enough about Jack to guess what he wouldn't have done or where he wouldn't have gone, when in the mood to rip.

BTW, my Chambers gives me 'straitjacket', so in future I'll be inclined to spell it that way. Does anyone know how old the word is? I'd be interested to find out. My dad always used to tut when people wrote 'plain' sailing, insisting it should be spelled 'plane' sailing. But it may depend when one was writing it. Language can change over time, and no doubt it can sometimes change back again.

Love,

Caz
X

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 5013
Posted on Monday, September 19, 2005 - 2:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Caz, if your plane is sailing you need a new pilot.

Robert

Chris Phillips
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1427
Posted on Monday, September 19, 2005 - 4:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Caroline Morris

And strangely enough, not too many decades ago, Kenneth Williams argued satirically that "Hippodrome" should obviously be pronounced Hippodromey - because who in their right mind would think of pronouncing "Syndrome" as Sindroam? (No one today would think of pronouncing it otherwise!)

Chris Phillips

Caroline Anne Morris
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2146
Posted on Thursday, September 29, 2005 - 10:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris,

Anything Kenneth Williams said is ok by me.

"Infamy infamy, they've all got it in-fa-me!"

Love,

Caz
X

PS Robert, it was my dad's plane that was sailing, but we were both rotten at anything technical like that.

Helge Samuelsen
Inspector
Username: Helge

Post Number: 404
Posted on Thursday, September 29, 2005 - 11:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, just to set it straight - it's strait.

"Noun use of adj. strait "narrow, strict" (c.1290), from O.Fr. estreit (Fr. étroit) "tight, close, narrow" (also used as a noun), from L. strictus, pp. of stringere "bind or draw tight"

"Strait-jacket is attested from 1814, earlier strait-waistcoat 1753"

From the Etymology Dictionary

But of course, the ALTERNATIVE spelling is straight jacket, but it is obviously "wrong", inasmuch as it is only used because of the similarity of the words straight and strait.

The MEANING of the term (straitjacket) only really makes sense if it is spelled correctly, though.

Trust me.

Helge

"If Spock were here, he'd say that I was an irrational, illlogical human being for going on a mission like this... Sounds like fun!" -- (Kirk - Generations)

Chris Phillips
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1458
Posted on Thursday, September 29, 2005 - 12:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Helge

Yes - thankfully I think everyone's agreed on that now.

Makes you wonder what all the fuss was about, doesn't it?

Chris Phillips

Helge Samuelsen
Inspector

Post Number: 405
Posted on Thursday, September 29, 2005 - 12:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Indeed, Chris, Indeed!

I just love the term strait-waistcoat, though. And talking about strait, we have strait-laced as well. Interesting subject.

:-)

Helge
"If Spock were here, he'd say that I was an irrational, illlogical human being for going on a mission like this... Sounds like fun!" -- (Kirk - Generations)

Julie
Inspector
Username: Judyj

Post Number: 164
Posted on Thursday, September 29, 2005 - 6:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Helge
It depends on which dictionary you refer to as to the correct spelling.
I posted an email a little while ago stating page numbers and dictionary information with respect to same.
You may want to refer to this post, unfortunately I don't have the post date off hand.
It may be wrong as you have stated however, those who have stated both spellings with same or similar definition are not wrong in that they have stated both spellings and meanings are the same, if anything we have been misled by the Dictionarys and reference books that we have referred to.

best regards

Julie

Helge Samuelsen
Inspector

Post Number: 406
Posted on Friday, September 30, 2005 - 4:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Julie,

You probably misread me if you thought I meant that straightjacket was "wrong". I clearly state it is an alternative spelling.

Dictionaries define current use of words. And they do list straight-jacket. No problem, as it is indeed an alternative spelling in use today.

But the original word, dating from 1814, derives from the earlier strait-waistcoat, known from the mid 1700's. And the spelling IS originally strait, simply because it has evolved from the word strait - not straight.

Strait being derived from stringere, that is to bind or draw tight, exactly the point of this type of jacket!

Pretty strait-forward.

:-)

Pedantic, yes. Interesting? Maybe. Pertinent to further discussion? Probably not.

Helge

Caroline Anne Morris
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2161
Posted on Friday, October 07, 2005 - 5:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris,

Makes you wonder what all the fuss was about, doesn't it?

Indeed - I never did understand why you started all the fuss by mocking me for repeating Phil's use of the alternative (and perfectly acceptable) 'straight'.

But it did serve to demonstrate how short of amunition you must be these days. So it wasn't all bad - just a bit desperate.

Love,

Caz
X

Chris Phillips
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1488
Posted on Friday, October 07, 2005 - 5:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Caroline Morris wrote (resurrecting a thread in which the last message was posted a week ago):

But it did serve to demonstrate how short of amunition you must be these days. So it wasn't all bad - just a bit desperate.

Hmmm.

Chris Phillips

Richard Brian Nunweek
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Richardn

Post Number: 1497
Posted on Saturday, October 08, 2005 - 4:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

test password.
Just testing my password accidently crossed it out and just to make sure it was installed proberly.

Caroline Anne Morris
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2176
Posted on Thursday, October 13, 2005 - 9:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris,

Some of us have trouble catching up with posts on a daily basis because we have other things going on in our lives. If you were paying attention you would have noticed this isn't the only thread where I am a week or more behind with my responses.

And I couldn't not respond to your breathtaking words, considering it was you who caused the fuss in the first place with your misdirected barb. But I can see why you now wish I would shut up about it.

You're in luck - I will now shut up about it.

Love,

Caz
X

Caroline Anne Morris
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2177
Posted on Thursday, October 13, 2005 - 9:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Double post - apologies (that was ironic! )

(Message edited by caz on October 13, 2005)

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.