Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Colney Hatch 1891 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Suspects » Kosminski, Aaron » Colney Hatch 1891 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chris

Post Number: 1086
Posted on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 12:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all
I have manged to find Aaron Kosminski's census record in the Colney Hatch return for Friern Barnet. This simply lists him as
A.K.
Patient
Single
Aged 26
Hairdresser
Lunatic

ak1891a

Any of you that have searched census returns for institutions such as asylums, hospitals etc will know that the patients are listed by initials only. It is customary in census returns for the initial of the surname to be entered first. Thus I was expecting Aaron Kosminski to appear as K.A.
Indeed the main bulk of the male patients are listed by surname initial first. However, not having found him, I searched further and found a further section of the Colney Hatch listing which was prefaced as follows:

ak1891b

NB: Xtian = Christian

It was in this section that I found the record above.
regards
Chris

Natalie Severn
Chief Inspector
Username: Severn

Post Number: 530
Posted on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 5:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks once again Chris!Its a pity there isnt a bit more isnt it.Still were gradualy adding more information about all the players!
[well you are ]
Best Natalie

Scott Nelson
Detective Sergeant
Username: Snelson

Post Number: 63
Posted on Monday, April 05, 2004 - 8:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris, I posted the same asylum census info for AK on another website on 2/11/04. Coincidence? If not, give credit where credit is due.

Incidentally, the city lunatic (and probable City Police suspect), Hyam Hyams, is also listed on the same census (that's right, A.K. and H.H probably rubbed noses) on line 17, folio 90, page 20 by the initials, H.H. Description: aged 35, married, occupation: cigar-maker, status: lunatic

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chris

Post Number: 1124
Posted on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 8:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Scott
Yes it is coincidence and I always give credit where credit is due. I do not know on which site you posted this info on 11th Feb nor did I see it. As you can see from the sections I posted above I took the info from the original census return and was not prompted by anyone else's findings.
I do not appropriate other people's research nor, frankly, do I need to.
Chris

(Message edited by Chris on April 06, 2004)

(Message edited by Chris on April 06, 2004)

Scott Nelson
Detective Sergeant
Username: Snelson

Post Number: 64
Posted on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 11:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the clarification. I apologize for the tone of my post (based on bad prior experiences).

I think that you're a great researcher, keep up the good work.

Sue Davidson
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, April 02, 2005 - 5:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does anyone know if the name Philip Henry Cave appears on the census return for Colney Hatch. I am trying to trace someone who died there on 7th October 1912.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.