Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

O'Kelly? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Victims » Mary Jane Kelly » O'Kelly? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Chris Scott
Chief Inspector
Username: Chris

Post Number: 590
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2003 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have been told that it was not uncommon for Irish emigrants to drop the O' prefix to their name. If this were true of Mary Jane are we looking for an O'Kelly?
In an idle moment I looked in the 1891 census and found one O'Kelly born in Limerick, a catholic priest named Denis O'Kelly, living in Durham
Then one of these spooky coincidences that are so frequent with Jack. I look for O'Kellys born in Ireland in the 1881 census.
There was a Mary Ann O'Kelly, born in ireland - not "our" Mary as she was 52 at the time of the census. She was a servant at 316 Euston Road, London and her employer was.... Damas Druit, 30 years old and born in France.
Im sure of no significance, but thought some might like to see:-)
Chris

John Savage
Detective Sergeant
Username: Johnsavage

Post Number: 94
Posted on Thursday, October 02, 2003 - 6:06 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris,

I know what you mean about spooky coincidences, I have had it happen many times whilst studying JTR.
I thought it was just me, nice to know it happens to others as well.

Regards,
John Savage

Debra Arif
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 6:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris
looking through the 1881 census,I found an O'Kelly closer to home:-
Joseph O. KELLY Lodger U Male 44 Monagh Tippry occ.- Porter
(amongst other lodgers, mainly males )
Dwelling 28 & 29 Dorset St
Census Place London, Middlesex, England
Family History Library Film 1341095
Public Records Office Reference RG11
Piece / Folio 0437 / 10
Page Number 13
I don't know what it means if anything, but I thought it might be interesting to you.
regards Debra

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.