Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

How can they be sure it was mary jane... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Victims » Mary Jane Kelly » How can they be sure it was mary jane kelly? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Richard Brett
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, October 31, 2005 - 10:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i was wondering since her face was so badly cut how can they be sure that it was mary jane kelly, and not someone else? as it says in the report to people saw her alive hours later.

Dan Norder
Chief Inspector
Username: Dannorder

Post Number: 982
Posted on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 9:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"By ear and eyes" according to the main witness in question, who was a long time lover and ought to have known. Presumably the hair, height and other factors also played a role.
Dan Norder, Editor
Ripper Notes: The International Journal for Ripper Studies
 Profile    Email    Dissertations    Website

Maria Giordano
Inspector
Username: Mariag

Post Number: 498
Posted on Saturday, November 05, 2005 - 10:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Richard , I think that the question we need to address is:

Does it matter who it was on that bed?
Mags

Jennifer Pegg
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Jdpegg

Post Number: 3123
Posted on Saturday, November 05, 2005 - 10:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mags,
it matters if you think eg Joe was Jack the Ripper

Jenni
"Things are getting strange, I'm starting to worry, This could be a case for Mulder and Scully"

Maria Giordano
Chief Inspector
Username: Mariag

Post Number: 504
Posted on Saturday, November 05, 2005 - 11:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Exactly, Jenni

If you believe that 1) Joe killed Mary for domestic reason or 2) the Whitechapel Murder was specifically after that individual or 3) Joe WAS the Whitechapel Murderer or other variations then it's important that the body on the bed be the woman know as Mary Kelly.

However, if you think that the WM chose his victims randomly then it doesn't matter if the dead woman was "Mary Kelly" or someone else who had access to that room.

I have no hard and fast beliefs about this issue. I lean toward thinking that the murder was random bad luck on the victim's part and that she was indeed the MJK that we all know and love.

But the witness sightings of her in the morning do bother me.

I hate to exclude MJK from the canon purely on artistic grounds-- with her murder the series of escalation appears to increase, and the the murders seem to stop after hers. Seem. Seem.

It makes the circle copmplete to think of her as the ultimate work of his career.And 3 years ago I would have insisted on it. But now...

The more I learn, the less I know.
Mags

Caroline Anne Morris
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Caz

Post Number: 2297
Posted on Tuesday, November 08, 2005 - 11:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Mags,

The more I learn, the less I know.

I think that's a pretty healthy admission. To dismiss anything at first glance as obvious in this case, as many do, is to risk learning less than nothing.

Love,

Caz
X

Barnaby
Sergeant
Username: Barnaby

Post Number: 11
Posted on Wednesday, November 09, 2005 - 12:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think we can be fairly sure it was Kelly. Joe identified the body. If he was the Ripper, then surely he didn't make a mistake. If he wasn't, he has no reason to lie.

Caroline Anne Morris
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Caz

Post Number: 2309
Posted on Friday, November 11, 2005 - 11:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Barnaby,

If Joe was the ripper he was dumb - he missed a Jack-given opportunity to insist the body wasn't Mary's, so the usual motive for doing in the missus would not apply.

Love,

Caz
X

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.