Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Mary Ann Kelly - 1871 Census Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Victims » Mary Jane Kelly » Mary Ann Kelly - 1871 Census « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Gareth W
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, June 02, 2005 - 4:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

1871 Census for Whitechapel (St Mary district) as follows:

6, Chambers Street

Margaret Kelly (Wife) Age 30, Tailoress, Born Ireland Limmerick (sic)

Mary Ann Kelly (Daur) Age 7, Scholar, Born Ireland Limmerick

Margaret Kelly (Daur) Age 2, Scholar, Born Ireland Limmerick

This is the only "direct hit" I've found on a Mary Kelly born in Limerick at around the right time (1864) to be "our Mary". OK, it's Mary Ann again, but the connection with Whitechapel leapt out at me and I couldn't resist posting it.

Paul Williams
Sergeant
Username: Wehrwulf

Post Number: 50
Posted on Tuesday, June 07, 2005 - 5:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In December 1884 there was a possible marriage in Whitechapel between a Mary Ann Kelly and a Denis Mc Carthy. I say possible because free bmd also contains the names Thomas Tibbitts and Annie Coughlin. I'm trying to link the partners in the 1891 census. If Kelly did marry McCarthy it's an interesting coincidence because it happened just before the first verifiable incident in the Ripper victim's history, namely Mary's association with Mrs Mc Carthy.

Gareth W
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, June 07, 2005 - 6:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Paul,

Thomas Tibbetts (prianoforte tuner) seems to have married the Mary Ann - what Mrs Tibbetts' maiden name was I don't know. The 1901 census lists their (enormous) family as follows:

Edward Tibbetts abt 1897 London, England Son Norton Folgate London
Hannah Tibbetts abt 1895 London, England Daughter Norton Folgate London
Henry Tibbetts abt 1889 London, England Son Norton Folgate London
James Tibbetts abt 1900 London, England Son Norton Folgate London
John Tibbetts abt 1893 London, England Son Norton Folgate London
Mary A Tibbetts abt 1863 London, England Wife Norton Folgate London
Mary A Tibbetts abt 1887 London, England Daughter Norton Folgate London
Thomas Tibbetts abt 1859 London, England Head Norton Folgate London
Thomas Tibbetts abt 1891 London, England Son Norton Folgate London
William Tibbetts abt 1886 London, England Son Norton Folgate London

This Mary Ann Tibbetts (nee ?) is shown on the census as having been born in London, not Limerick, however. She might not be the same Mary Ann Kelly recorded in Whitechapel in 1871 therefore.

Whatever, I think we can discount your intriguing McCarthy possibility on the above evidence.

Cliff Roberts
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, June 16, 2005 - 5:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

For what it's worth, the 1871 Census for Portsmith, Hampshire, shows a Mary Jane Kelly, age 9, living with father John, 34; mother Elizabeth, 45, and two brothers, Michael, 13, and Henry, 7, all born in Ireland. They are listed among the military families at Cambridge Barracks. John Kelly is described as a private. I seem to recall our Mary Jane having told friends that she had a brother named Henry and that he had enlisted in the military guard. That would seem to make the girl in this 1871 census a viable candidate for our Mary Jane.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.