Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Looking for "alive" photos... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Victims » Mary Jane Kelly » Looking for "alive" photos... « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

James C. Bernthal
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, May 02, 2005 - 3:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello everyone,
I'm currently doing preliminary research for a book about Jack the Ripper. It will - effectively - be an unbiased reference book until the last few chapters, where I propose a theory. I'm finding it very difficult to find photographs that are in the public domain, and it seems impossible to get hold of one of Mary Jane Kelly while she was still alive. Can anyone help? Many thanks!

thomas schachner
Detective Sergeant
Username: Thomas

Post Number: 54
Posted on Tuesday, May 03, 2005 - 8:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hi james,

if you are writing a book about the ripper you should be aware of the fact, that currently there are no pictures of mjk when she was still alive.
hopefully some turn up in the near future..well...somebody told me that miracles can actually happen .-)

greetings from germany
thomas.

George Hutchinson
Inspector
Username: Philip

Post Number: 498
Posted on Tuesday, May 03, 2005 - 8:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi James.

I am truly sorry if this sounds rude; I really don't mean it to be but...

...how do you expect to be able to write a new book on JTR if you didn't know the only 'life' photo of any victim is the wedding photograph of Annie Chapman, uncovered by Neal Sheldon/Stubbings?

Be warned - any author of a Ripper book has to be up very early in the morning. I class myself as a knowledgeable soul and there are people on these boards who put mine to shame! It strikes me as unwise to write a book on JTR without a thorough understanding. I've been at it 15 years and still have a great deal to learn.

PHILIP
Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd!

Jane Coram
Inspector
Username: Jcoram

Post Number: 411
Posted on Wednesday, May 04, 2005 - 10:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi James,

I hope I can make some helpful suggestions here........I've been in publishing all of my working life and have found out the hard way, so maybe this will save you a few headaches. I hope so...........

You obviously have a serious interest in JtR, you wouldn't be thinking about writing a book otherwise. I can only recommend a few practical suggestions and then a few words of advice.

As Phil said, you need to be very aware of the subject matter.........new information is being unearthed all the time and you will need to really do some serious research on JtR before you even consider a book. There are so many pitfalls, the unwary could really get themselves in a mess.

I would suggest that you read every single book you can on the subject to see what has been written about and what hasn't and see how other author's have dealt with it.

Become an active member of the JtR community; exchange ideas and get to know everyone. This is obviously a great place to do it, because they are a smashing bunch.

Instead of writing a book, get your thoughts and ideas up on the boards and see what others think of them and get their feedback. Some will agree with your ideas, some will disagree (possibly quite strongly!) and you will obviously learn more about the subject as you go and what Ripperology is all about.

Those are the practical suggestions.

Now to throw a serious dampner on the prospect of actually getting a book published. At least at the moment. Unless you have a truly amazing new theory, or something that is very revolutionary, it is next to impossible to get a publisher to touch it. Believe me, I know whereof I speak!

There are already exceptionally good reference and factual books on the market written by very respected Ripperologists with very many years of experience tucked under their belts. You can't compete with them in that area, don't even try.

Then you have the JtR books which promote various suspects which fall into all sorts of categories. Well written, badly written, well researched, well funded, ludicrous, and sometimes just different enough to catch the publishers attention.

They do all have one thing in common though as a rule. They are generally innovative or unique in some way. Unless you have something very different to offer you won't get a look in. Even then you have to have a lot of luck and be able to convince the publisher they are going to make money out of it. It is not impossible, but very, very hard indeed.

Sorry, but those are the facts. I would hate to see you go into it without being fully aware of what you were getting yourself into.

Having said that, for goodness join Casebook, start posting with some of your ideas and see what other people think. It will help you hone your writing skills, make some great new friends with a similar interest and give you far more information than you could ever know what to do with.

I hope you didn't mind me chipping in.

All the best

Jane

Phil Hill
Inspector
Username: Phil

Post Number: 442
Posted on Wednesday, May 04, 2005 - 5:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We all have to start somewhere.

At 11 years of age, the Duke of Wellington became my hero (he still is). I wrote to the curator of the Apsley House Museum (the Duke's former London residence) asking whether the Duke had any brothers or sisters.

I was politely but firmly directed to Burke's or Debrett's (works of reference on the peerage and genealogy) and to the existing biographies.

Quite right too.

So James, you have had good advice, most of all from Jane. Now learn from it.

Sincerely,

Phil

James C. Bernthal
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, May 05, 2005 - 2:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've just realised how "pushy" my reply will sound, so I'd like to say here that that it isn't supposed to sound so. Thank you very much, everyone. I am learning from Jane's advice, so thank you, Jane.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.