Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Kelly or Davies: One and the same? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Victims » Mary Jane Kelly » Kelly or Davies: One and the same? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Greg Hutton
Sergeant
Username: Greg

Post Number: 38
Posted on Thursday, October 14, 2004 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all,

I maybe jumping the gun a bit here but have a look at the link below to the FreeB.M.D. site.

I've had a quick look around this site, but not seen any reference to this other than a post from Sara Long about 12 months ago. In it she stated that an entry showing the death of Marie Jeanette Davies was in fact Mary Kelly. However, there is a proper entry for Marie Jeanette Kelly on the same page. Now I know this is possibly a bit extreme but does anyone think the two entries are about the same person?

I have no knowledge on how Deaths were registered in the 1880's, I would assume a certificate would be required but I feel that there may just be a chance that Marie Jeanette Davies and Marie Jeanette Kelly are the same person. Both died in Whitechapel aged 25 at the same time. Coincidence?

I'll be digging around trying to prove myself wrong but if anybody has already looked at this, please let me know.

Regards,
Greg.

http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl?vol=1c&page=211&type=DEATHS&start=1888&sq=4&end=1888&eq=4&jsexec=1&mono=0&action=Find

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chris

Post Number: 1446
Posted on Thursday, October 14, 2004 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Greg
Sorry to disappoint but these two entries definitely refer to the same person. In the registers both have the same reference (Whitechapel Volume 1c Page 211) but the main clue as to what actually happened is the wording of Kelly's name on her death certificate. She is described as "MARIE JEANETTE KELLY otherwise DAVIES." I have certainly seen cases in tracing my own family where a person known by two different names at the time of their death generated two seprate entries in the death register.
Chris

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Severn

Post Number: 1193
Posted on Friday, October 15, 2004 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris and Greg.Interesting this because I think her husband was said to be named Davies-a very Welsh name and so it may be of some help in finding more out about her.
Natalie

Debra Arif
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, October 14, 2004 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Greg
I believe these are both entries for Mary Jane Kelly
I know nowadays if you use ( or have used in the past different surnames), that both surnames must be recorded on an official document, even if you have always used the same surname but it has been spelt differently on a document then again both versions must be recorded.
My husbands naturalization certificate had his surname spelt differently to the spelling he uses now and went through school with, when we got married both spellings were used on the certificate even though they were only different by one letter.
There will only be one certificate but it will be indexed under both names, and this is what is shown on the BMD.
Debra

Greg Hutton
Sergeant
Username: Greg

Post Number: 39
Posted on Sunday, October 17, 2004 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you all for the response, I thought it was too obvious to have been overlooked by everyone else hence the post, so you have all saved me the time I would have wasted looking for information.

Who gave the information for the death certificate, anyone know?

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chris

Post Number: 1451
Posted on Sunday, October 17, 2004 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Greg
The death certifictae lists the informant as McDonald, the Coroner.
Under Informant, it says:
"Certificate received from R. McDonald Coroner for Middlesex. Inquest held 12th November 1888."
Chris

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.