Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Note found after Kelly murder Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Victims » Mary Jane Kelly » Note found after Kelly murder « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chris

Post Number: 1331
Posted on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 10:14 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I thought this report might be of interest. This claims that a note was found in an archway, presumably at the time of the Kelly murder, announcing that the series of murders was over. I had not seen reference to this before. The extract is from the Lincoln State Journal of 10 July 1927 and is from a longer article I am transcribing for the Press Reports section

kellynote

Richard Brian Nunweek
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Richardn

Post Number: 1023
Posted on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris,
Just about sums up my entire thoughts on the case, Kelly was the cause of the murders, and her death was the conclusion.
Now who could have wrote such a note? if it is not false claims. B-----t ? no i hear cry...
Richard.

Busy Beaver
Detective Sergeant
Username: Busy

Post Number: 59
Posted on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I wonder where this scribbled note is now? If an American newspaper can report of it's existence in 1927, it leads me to think that the note may be in the possession of someone who had connections to the murders or the murderer and possibly made up the story that it was "left" at the murder scene.

Busy Beaver

Thomas C. Wescott
Inspector
Username: Tom_wescott

Post Number: 155
Posted on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 10:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If Forbes Winslow was the source for this piece of misinformation, it must be approached with a very healthy amount of skepticism. Keep in mind that the prophetic letter referred to in the article, which informed Winslow a murder would occur on 11/9, was actually a letter written to in 1889, which he altered so that he could say the actual killer had chosen HIM to correspond with!

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Dan Norder
Inspector
Username: Dannorder

Post Number: 253
Posted on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 10:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There's no evidence that any of the numerous fanciful and dramatic messages allegedly left at crime scenes announcing how many victims were left in the string of murders ever existed. This one is no different.

In fact, considering that a report in the U.S. almost 40 years after the fact is the first we've heard of it, if anything it's even less likely to be real than all the other ones.

Dan Norder, editor, Ripper Notes

Christopher T George
Chief Inspector
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 855
Posted on Monday, August 23, 2004 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, all

I agree with Dan Norder that this story of a note left after the Kelly murder almost undoubtedly belongs with the myth and lore of the case and numerous other rather ephemeral "leads" to the identity of the murder. The story is interesting to note but, in my judgement, is probably not true. In any case, even if the note ever did exist, like the other "Ripper" communications, we might conclude that it was probably a hoax.

Best regards

Chris George
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist
http://www.ripperologist.info

Jason Scott Mullins
Inspector
Username: Crix0r

Post Number: 307
Posted on Monday, August 23, 2004 - 11:25 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I agree Dan. Also, I've received your message and plan to respond to you in time.. sorry, buying a house and it's eating up almost all of my spare cycles :-)

While it is a very interesting story, I'd be inclined to relegate it to the 'fiction' bin once I was done reading it. Good find though Chris!!

crix0r
"I was born alone, I shall die alone. Embrace the emptiness, it is your end."

Jon Smyth
Inspector
Username: Jon

Post Number: 185
Posted on Monday, August 23, 2004 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Devils Advocate speaking :-)

How many letters do we know that say it's over?.

No, I don't believe it but the claim IS rather unique, is it not?.
Regards, Jon

Christopher T George
Chief Inspector
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 856
Posted on Monday, August 23, 2004 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Jon

Jon, you do make a good point. However, to my mind, the claim is rather like the "I'll kill five more and give myself up" type of letter. I think what characterizes all these types of letters is that the writer is trying to con us that they have inside knowledge of the case, so they were all looking for new angles to make their claims sound authentic. Thus, to find a note like this "Jack the Ripper will not commit another murder" is not, I think, especially exceptional... particularly if the "note" was concocted in someone's later story to explain the end of the murders.

All the best

Chris
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist
http://www.ripperologist.info

Jon Smyth
Inspector
Username: Jon

Post Number: 186
Posted on Monday, August 23, 2004 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Chris.
I recall you put more effort into studying the letters than I ever have. It struck me as unusual, but no reason to believe it, certainly if, as you say, it only surfaced decades later.

All the best my friend, Jon

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Suzi

Post Number: 1106
Posted on Thursday, August 26, 2004 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all
L Forbes Winslow sounds a tad familiar but cant remember from where!.. a famous Criminologist! ...perhaps he belongs on these pages!!! but when did he conduct his 'personal investigation'.....1927..........hmmmmmmmmm interesting!
Jon....Ok its interesting like a lot of stuff in the tabloids today but not necessarily factual!..Odd that it took so long to surface (if indeed it did!) so many years later!
Hey stand back chaps this thread could take off!

Cheers

Suzi

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.