Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Profilling Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » Profilling « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Alexandra Kafka
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 10:28 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I read somewhere that an FBI man named Douglas who usually makes profiles of serial-killers has made a profile of Jack.
Does someone know what he found out?
Are there other profiles of Jack too?

Alexandra

Maria Giordano
Sergeant
Username: Mariag

Post Number: 43
Posted on Monday, June 21, 2004 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In Douglas' book The Cases that Haunt Us he comes to the conclusion that JTR was "..David Cohen or someone very much like him." (I'm paraphrasing).

In other words, our beloved unknown local man.
Mags

Monty
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Monty

Post Number: 1201
Posted on Monday, June 21, 2004 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Alexandra,

Below is a profile released onto the old boards by Philip C Dowe. Based in Germany, Philip sometimes assisted German police by providing them with profiles on certain cases, if I remember correctly, mainly to do with Children.

Anyway, here is is profile on Jack.

Hi Monty and anybody else interested,

this is probably the longest post in the history of this board (12179 characters / 2800 words long) but I offered it and Monty Requested it.

A profile is basically the analysis of (statistical) data gathered from

a) the crime scene itself
b) the victim
c) any similar previous cases

The results are then used to develop a profile consisting of

a) probable AGE of the suspect
b) probable SEX of the suspect
c) probable RACE of the suspect
d) probable RESIDENCE of the suspect
e) what INTELLIGENCE level the suspect is operating at
f) probable OCCUPATION of the suspect
G) probable MARITAL STATUS of the suspect
h) probable LIVING ARRANGEMENTS of the suspect
i) the PSYCHOSEXUAL MATURITY of the suspect
j) probable TYPE and CONDITION OF VEHICLE driven by the suspect
k) the suspects probable MOTIVATING FACTORS
l) the probable ARREST RECORD of the suspect
m) what PROVOCATION FACTORS might drive the suspect out
n) and what INTERROGATION TECHNIQUES would work best with the suspect

Most serial killers that have been identified were male, white, murdered within their own race and were in a 20-35 age group.

When the profile is finished it is up to the police to look for a suspects who fit. A profile is a success when we have helped catch a suspect. No matter how many points fit. We draw a line between factors like age, sex, intelligence ect and "psychological factors". My main line of interest is : What made him tick? Why did he commit his crimes? Why did he change his modus operandi for Kelly? Why did he get more brutal? Was it a sexual aspect? Did he hate women? The answers to these questions could help us to discard some suspects. But they would never allow us to solve the crime, we need evidence for that. Experience and gut-feeling are normally not enough to profile somebody and that is why a profile on Jack is a problem, because:

a) the crimes have all been committed
b) none of us has seen the crime scenes
c) we have to depend on written statements and witness sightings
d) we are living in 2002 and not 1888
e) staying objective

What is the killers modus operandi and what is his signature? The following is a summary of a post by Scott E Medine (I could not have written it any better). A killers modus operandi (M.O.) can change and evolve. His signature usually does not. as far as we know, a killers signature has never changed. The M.O. is how the perp commits the crime. The signature is what he does to make him feel the crime has been completed. With Jack we see a definite M.O. evolving. The signature does not change. His M.O. is attack by knife and post mortem mutilation is his signature. The attacks on Martha Tabram and Polly Nichols show a person being beaten the savagely attacked with a knife.
Chapman was strangled and then had her throat cut. The killer evolved to the point that the strangulation was more efficient than throttling the crap out of someone. The killer was also in a more secured area. Post mortem, the killer was in a more secured area so the mutilation could be in a little more depth, but it is still a post mortem mutilation and is his signature. Surely, this didn't kill the victim. Stride was attacked in a secured area but he was almost discovered and fled. Kate Eddowes suffered the full frenzied attack that was meant for Ms Stride. Mary Jane Kelly.....pictures are worth a 1000 words.

this profile may be right, it may be wrong. For what its worth i have tried to profile Jack. I will start off with a list of factors then try and explain the how and why. one last point: It is difficult staying objective in the case, because unlike reality, we all have our favourite suspects who we would like to see as Jack, me also. I have tried to leave these behind me, which is difficult and I am sure the experienced ones here will be able to detect my favourites in this profile.

So, as Robbie Williams sang, "Let me entertain you":

- around 35 yrs old
- male
- white caucasian
- from Whitechapel
- skilled and intelligent but not studied
- drifted in and out of work
- not married
- was a loner
- lived alone or with an elderly relative
- was unable to have an erection
- was not sexually aroused by the act of murder
- was mentally unstable and/or a drug abuser
- was deformed or disfigured
- liked women but they did not like him
- became aggressive due to situation
- dressed normally
- around 1.80 m
- physically strong but not muscular
- skilled in the usage of a knife
- had NO connection to the royal family or freemasonry
- was not religious
- had no practical experience in removing human organs
- did not keep a diary
- may have communicated with the police
- ended up in a asylum, in jail or on the run

- Male
This is easy. A women going up to a prostitute would have been noticed. a man is something that a witness would have forgotten because it is such a natural sight. A lot of killers get away with their crimes for so long because they seem to be so normal. Plus women do not usually commit violent crimes.

- White
This is just as easy. If he was anything else he would have stuck out like a sore thumb. And statistically speaking nearly every serial killer is white.

-Dressed normally
Imagine a killer in a flashy car or expensive clothes. There is the sighting by Hutchinson of the "man with the thick watch chain". I don't think our man would have worn something like that because he is going to give people something to remember. Don't give yourself away by wearing clothes that can be remembered. Our man probably wore the same clothes and in such a style that was common in Whitechapel.

- Around 35 yrs old
- Around 1.80 m
- Physically strong but not muscular
- Skilled in the usage of a knife

Size is easy, he had to be taller than the women he assaulted to be able to grab them from behind, so he would have to be around 6ft (around 1.80m). If you try and grab somebody who is taller than you are, you will find it takes much energy and time. Age is a difficult factor to profile, that is why you will always find a span stretching 10 years. I would think he was between 30 and 40. Reason why? Gut feeling !He needed strength to throw his victims down and keep them quiet. The amount of strength needed to perform his killings was not that large. If you read the post mortems, it is fairly obvious that Jack did not "rip" but "sliced". The act of ripping would have needed a lot of energy and would have left different marks (jagged edges). It seems more likely that he used the knife with a certain amount of knowledge and used it in the way we would if we were carving a turkey or slicing of a piece of cheese. This leads to a different question: How did he hold the knife? On a lot of posters we see killers holding the blade downward. Our man most likely held his knife with the blade upwards or away from him. try performing a cut with the blade down or towards you.

You will find you are:-

a) slower
b) using more energy
c) not as clinical

Now try the other way:-

a) faster
b) less strenuous
c) better to control.

Monty
:-)

Face cream.....now thats just gayness in a jar...

Jennifer D. Pegg
Inspector
Username: Jdpegg

Post Number: 383
Posted on Monday, June 21, 2004 - 1:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good going Monty,
That was really interesting and i hope it wsn't implying Robbie williams had anything to do with it though.

Jennifer

Scott Suttar
Detective Sergeant
Username: Scotty

Post Number: 80
Posted on Tuesday, June 22, 2004 - 12:27 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Monty,

Nice one.

The knife thing is particularly interesting and tallies with exactly what I had always thought of the MO. Attack from behind or in front (doesn't really matter) using strangulation. Place them on the ground and then cut the throat whilst on top of the victim with the blade facing away from the killer. Thus a left to right cut from a right handed person.
Scotty.

Monty
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1204
Posted on Tuesday, June 22, 2004 - 4:27 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jenni, Scotty,

Dont thank me. All Philips work.

Im surprised neither of you two picked up of the deformity or disfigurement.

I know the reasoning behind Philips suggestion on this but Id be interested in your views.

Monty

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Glenna

Post Number: 1855
Posted on Tuesday, June 22, 2004 - 4:51 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Monty boy,

A very interesting profile attempt by Mr Dowe. I can certainly agree with most of it. I don't think he necessarily need to have some sort of deformity, (although I can't rule it out completely). Dowe also seem to discount the murders as an act of sexual nature, which I am a bit doubtful about -- most serial killers of this kind are sexual perpetrators, but then again, he may not be. It's tough.

Most of it -- like much profile deductions -- is based on pure common sense and doesen't really need to be theorized, but anyway -- a very interesting read.

All the best
Glenn Gustaf Lauritz Andersson
Crime historian, Sweden

Scott Suttar
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 82
Posted on Tuesday, June 22, 2004 - 7:17 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Monty.

The deformity concept is worth noting. Every time I hear mention of JtR having one it immediately conjures up two images. The first one is the blotchy faced man seen outside MJK's door. The second is Patricia Cornwell's concept of Sickert's painful deformity. (I can't help it, it comes unbidden into my mind!) I seem to recall that another witness mentioned that the man they saw had a sunburnt face. Others of course have noted how pale their suspect looked so who knows, but yes I always think of blotchy faced man.

Scotty.

Monty
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1205
Posted on Tuesday, June 22, 2004 - 8:02 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Glenn, Scotty,

Glenn,

The deformity thing struck me when Philip first issued his profile. I know via private mails and posts on the boards he hinted at something visual like (and I stress the like here, Philip never stated he thought it was ) a hare-lip. He summized that the victims reaction to this disfigurement was the trigger. I personally felt a disfigurement which caused ridicule (maybe a deforminty of the penis for example) the more likely if this idea rang true but, like you, I cannot see it. And please bare in mind that this discussion between Philip, myself and others occurred on the boards back in 1998.....during the time a certain ex Virginia medical examiner's office typist was working on her own 'Case closed' piece of fiction !

Scotty,

BFM has always intrigued me. He pops up at the beginning and the end of this enigma.

PS OH, I see you picked up on the Cornwell connection. Coincedence aint it? Mmmmm!

Monty

Scott Suttar
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 85
Posted on Tuesday, June 22, 2004 - 8:23 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Monty,

You just struck a chord on an entirely unrelated case with the hare-lip suggestion. One of Perth's most famous serial killers was a man named Eric Edgar Cooke in the late fifties and early sixties. There is an good book on him called "Broken Lives" which describes his exploits. The story would be too fantastic for Hollywood to turn into a movie. Cooke himself ended up being hung for his crimes, but two other men were also convicted of murders which it is likely Cooke commited. One of these men finally had his conviction overturned two years ago and the other is still fighting. The reason I thought of this is that Eric Edgar Cooke also hade a hare-lip and it appears as though ridicule from his peers as a teenager played no small part in his transition to become a murderer. I have always found this ironic as apparently in every other way he presesnted himself as a normal young man, often wooing girls on the dance floor at the Embassy Ballroom. He also managed to marry and have a family before he was caught. Also of interest is that his life of crime started with petty theft and burglary before he advanced to running down pedestrians and cyclists with stolen cars. His final MO was to become a sniper on unsuspecting victims at night with a rifle. Until his crime spree the populace of Perth lived a very relaxed lifestyle. It is often said that his crimes stripped Perth of it's innocence. He was solely responsible for the fact that Western Australia now has a law banning people from leaving their keys in the ignition of their car.

Anyway, that's the sort of outporing you get for mentioning a hare-lip, but I think it is a good case to illustrate that a killer's MO can evolve.
Scotty.

Natalie Severn
Chief Inspector
Username: Severn

Post Number: 919
Posted on Tuesday, June 22, 2004 - 8:42 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Scotty,Monty All,Just a comment on "dress".I have often wondered how common it was for most men at the time to wear a red knotted scarf aroud their necks.As far as I know it has been the fashion in Eastern European countries to sport such flashes of colour around the neck and I recently ssaw a newspaper drawing around the time which was referring to two such men with scarves
worn in a slightly flamboyant way.On the other hand it may also have been fashionable in London in 1888 to wear them too.
Best Natalie

Monty
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1208
Posted on Tuesday, June 22, 2004 - 10:58 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Scotty,

I feel some killers M.O.s had to evolve and I include Jack on this. To me it seems he learnt along the way.....as we all do.

Nat,

I was under the impression that a scarf around the neck was common amongst the working class men in that period.

Monty

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Glenna

Post Number: 1856
Posted on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Natalie,

Firstly, when I referred to "common" clothing, I meant dark jacket, peaked cap and that sort sort of thing. The red neckerchief was only seen on one of the characters, namely Lawende's.

As far as I know, a red neckerchief -- worn loosely around the neck -- at the time were mostly worn by seamen (note: not military sailors).

All the best
Glenn Gustaf Lauritz Andersson
Crime historian, Sweden

Suzi Hanney
Chief Inspector
Username: Suzi

Post Number: 908
Posted on Saturday, June 26, 2004 - 8:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Glenn!

As I remember it at least three of the girls wore or made reference to red handkerchiefs!!! worn on the girls not .....our man!
Cheers
Suzi (D)

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.